So...where among the U2 DVDs will you rank Red rocks ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why is everyone dissing Chicago? it was an awesome concert...the energy put on the Elevation song, anyone catch that? how about the very impressive Electric Co-Cath Dubh-into the heart beginning? i don't understand this..

For all the whining Hamilton gets for his directing, Chicago is by far his best in that area...less fast cuts, actually a show that is not made of 80% or more shots of Bono and less than 20% on anyone else, interesting camera angles (Larry's drumkit and Edge's setup from above), the last 3 songs and RTSS can compete with anything Joanu or Mallet did.

What it lacks is some more audience shots and a tighter flow of the show. Slane only wins in "Hamilton dvds" for the atmosphere and it includes a full show. Boston has a good setlist, but they cut several songs and the directing is the worst. Milan is saved by OOTS and Miss Sarajevo (and that London underground moment).

Definitely. Milan is saved by those two songs alone, I think I was just getting a little bored of U2 to be honest by the time U218 came out and thought 'what's the point? i'm not getting that' but i'm THIS close to buying the deluxe version with Milan since it's really cheap at the moment purely for those two tracks :huh:

as for Chicago, U2girl's right on the money i think, more interesting shots showing off the kit and so on for any techies :drool: but I just don't like the show that much. I think it's because i actually WENT to a Vertigo show and for the first time was in the position to think "Oh, it's not as good on video." did anyone feel the same after seeing ZOO TV or Popmart for instance?

I think it's because i actually WENT to a Vertigo show and for the first time was in the position to think "Oh, it's not as good on video." did anyone feel the same after seeing ZOO TV or Popmart for instance?

Possibly, I missed out on going to the Zoo TV tour, and Zoo TV is the only release that's actually blown me away.

The Popmart Concert is a great watch, because it was an outstanding performance in Mexico, but you're never going to get the sheer gi-normity of the screen onto a dvd (well I dont think so anyway)

Plus at the end of the day, you're never going to beat seeing them live are ya?

UABRS - (Their Youth - The Energy - One of a Kind)
Zoo Tv
Slane Castle
Vertigo Milan - (Sarajevo/SYCMIOYO - Beautiful - The BEST ever!!! And Sexy Bono!)
Elevation - Boston
PopMart
Vertigo - Chicago
Rattle&Hum
Paris

I love the the Popmart DVD (Mexico show) the best because everytime I watch it I feel like I'm in that stadium in Mexico during that cold Dec. night.

My buddy came over one night (had a few drinks) and he really likes U2. He went with me twice on the Vertigo tour and he's seen the Chicago DVD. I showed him the Popmart show because its night & day when you compare U2 then to now and he really enjoyed the DVD. He simply stated after the show that he liked that alot more than the Chicago DVD because it felt like he was there because of the camera shots/direction.

Everything else pales in comparison to UABRS. With its setlist, it's a default #1 until a Lovetown DVD comes out.

And I say this having not yet seen the official DVD, just the video and the bootleg of the rest.

Having now seen the DVD and watched it repeatedly, I wholeheartedly stand behind this.

My rankings:

Theoretical 1. Lovetown DVD if/when it happens
Present 1. UABRS
2. JT Paris
3. RAH

Lots of daylight

4. Popmart
5. ZooTV
6. Vertigo Boston
(4-6 could easily swap around depending on my mood.)
7. Elevation Boston
8. Elevation Slane

Well with raw energy etc it's right up there.

But i also see the rawness which really still is there in everything. From the singing to the guitar and bass parts. I just prefer the more experienced, better sounding 90's shows really.

Even if the past 00 might not have this energy everything is just better done you can see their experience versus the raw U2.

I just got a dvd/bootleg from their Zoo TV Stockholm gig. Amazing performance. Most of the songs are on youtube.:drool:

1. UABRS
2. ZooTV
3. RAH
4. JT Paris
5. Popmart
6. Vertigo Milano
7. Vertigo Chicago
8. Elevation Boston
9. Elevation Slane

The idea that anything on the Elevation Tour (their worst tour, and it's not even close) could touch the masterpiece that is the War Tour live at Red Rocks is laughable.

The idea that anything on the Elevation Tour (their worst tour, and it's not even close) could touch the masterpiece that is the War Tour live at Red Rocks is laughable.

Absolutely, although as far as DVDs go, extras on the Elevation discs were considerably better. TUF documentary > footage of Bono eating potato chips with fan.

Back
Top Bottom