So what were the NLOTH B-sides?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
NLOTH2 and Winter?

Was the GOYB remix a b-side?

I think Soon was worked on during those sessions but am not sure how it was released exactly.

EBW and North Star might be from those sessions...

Anyway, trying to put together a NLOTH related companion disc and want to be as exhaustive as possible...so any insight appreciated!

NLOTH2 (B-side of Get On Your Boots)

Breathe - (live from Boston)
Vertigo - (live from Boston)
Get On Your Boots - (Justice remix)
Magnificent - (single edit)
Magnificent - (Adam K And Soha Club mix)
Magnificent - (Fred Falke Full Club mix)
Magnificent - (Redanka's 360 mix)
Magnificent - (Dave Aude' Club remix)
Magnificent - (Wonderland remix)
Magnificent - (Adam K And Soha Dub mix)
Magnificent - (Redanka's 180 mix)
Magnificent - (David Aude' Club Dub remix)
Magnificent - (Wonderland Dub remix)
(all from the Magnificent singles)

Magnificent - (live from Boston)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Single mix)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Dirty South Full mix)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Fish Out Of Water Remix)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Redanka's Kick The Darkness Instrumental Version)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Redanka's Kick The Darkness Vocal Version
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Redanka's Sparks Of Light Dub Version)
(all from the IGCIIDGCT singles)

Winter was a track on the Linear movie
Soon was a 7" single included on the deluxe edition of the Live From The Rose Bowl DVD/Blu-Ray

Mercy (Live from Brussels), Moment Of Surrender (Live from Paris) and IGCIIDGCT (Live from Dublin) were released on the Wide Awake In Europe EP.

EBW and North Star were never officially released, nor do studio versions exist (at least, out there).

Dag, you're good.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Redanka's Kick The Darkness Instrumental Version)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Redanka's Kick The Darkness Vocal Version
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - (Redanka's Sparks Of Light Dub Version)

Soon was a 7" single included on the deluxe edition of the Live From The Rose Bowl DVD/Blu-Ray

Mercy (Live from Brussels), Moment Of Surrender (Live from Paris) and IGCIIDGCT (Live from Dublin) were released on the Wide Awake In Europe EP.

EBW and North Star were never officially released, nor do studio versions exist (at least, out there).

No other official studio songs released? I don't mean remixes...

This may have been the lightest era ever in terms of b-sides?!

No other official studio songs released? I don't mean remixes...

This may have been the lightest era ever in terms of b-sides?!

Well the day of the b-side is general is dead. I think some bands do it out of tradition, but honestly the physical single has been dead a long time now.

That makes me sad. So many remixes. :sad:

Well the GOYB Justice Remix was pretty good.

Wasn't there another remix with a new intro (that they started using live?)

Also, what about ROTSG? Too late to be considered NLOTH?

Anyone have a suggestion in terms of the "best" live performance of EBW and North Star?

Those full band "mixes" where people added instrumentation are actually decent but I would feel weird somehow listening to them "as" U2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOQ4hflFEE

Fairly strong version of North Star but date / location not listed...
This is so bad, it's almost painful to listen to. I really, really hope their new album isn't full of this kind of songs. This and Every Breaking Wave...they almost put me to sleep. Nothing is going on, just repeating the same boring part over and over again. Way too many ohhhhooooo's either.

The whole "North Star" thing has always been so strange to me.

We KNOW that a studio version was recorded. It was used in that fucking Transformers movie, in the scene with Shia Labeouf and the girl who replaced Megan Fox.

Why the fuck was the full version of that never released? It's so weird that it was in the movie, for like 30 seconds, and that's all we've heard of it.

I'm not huge on the song (it's very clearly a leftover from the HTDAAB era, as I've stated before) but, still. The studio version exists. Feed us.

The whole "North Star" thing has always been so strange to me.

We KNOW that a studio version was recorded. It was used in that fucking Transformers movie, in the scene with Shia Labeouf and the girl who replaced Megan Fox.

Why the fuck was the full version of that never released? It's so weird that it was in the movie, for like 30 seconds, and that's all we've heard of it.

I'm not huge on the song (it's very clearly a leftover from the HTDAAB era, as I've stated before) but, still. The studio version exists. Feed us.

Did Winter even get an official release outside of the film Brothers? It certainly wasn't on CD, itunes, or anything like that... and it gets nominated for a Golden Globe anyway! :lol:

This is so bad, it's almost painful to listen to. I really, really hope their new album isn't full of this kind of songs. This and Every Breaking Wave...they almost put me to sleep. Nothing is going on, just repeating the same boring part over and over again. Way too many ohhhhooooo's either.

Agreed, I can't stand it either.

Did Winter even get an official release outside of the film Brothers? It certainly wasn't on CD, itunes, or anything like that... and it gets nominated for a Golden Globe anyway! :lol:

No, I don't think it did. But at least we heard the full studio version of that. The studio version of North Star was just teased. We heard less than half of it in the movie...and that's been it. No word, nothing else.

By the way, the Brothers version of Winter blows the Coldplay-biting Linear version of Winter out of the fucking water. It's not even close.

I think you can say that Winter was officially released on the Linear DVD. But no, not as an audio-only song.

North Star isn't a B-side or non-album track from the NLOTH-period. Same goes for Every Breaking Wave. Both haven't been released so far, although they were around for the NLOTH-sessions. Best live versions in my opinion for these tracks are the performances from Coimbra (North Star - 03-10-2010) and Helsinki (EBW - 21-08-2010)

I'm missing some era songs from NLOTH in the list above. There were also the following tracks:

- Breathe (Edit) - from linear DVD
- Get On Your Boots (with longer intro) - Amazon download
- Get On Your Boots (Crookers Remix) - NLOTH iTunes bonus download / rare CD promo
- Magnificent (UK Edit) - 7-inch vinyl and itunes download
- Magnificent (Fred Falke Radio Mix)
- Unknown Caller (Snow Patrol Remix) - Artificial Horizon tripple Vinyl - download bonus
- Get On Your Boots (Fish Out Of Water Mix) - Artificial Horizon fanclub CD / tripple vinyl
- I'll Go Crazy... (Edit) - UK Promo CD-single
- I'll Go Crazy... (Dirty South Mix Edit) - UK 7-inch single and US promo CD

And there were some none album tracks that were released around this time and can be considered from the session period from 2007-2009

- I Believe In Father Christmas (Greg Lake Cover) - Starbucks christmas CD - 2009
- Winter 2 - from Brothers movie (diff. from Linear version) - Movie DVD / Promo CD (quite rare)
- The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew - CD-single - recorded & released in 2008

North Star isn't a B-side or non-album track from the NLOTH-period. Same goes for Every Breaking Wave. Both haven't been released so far, although they were around for the NLOTH-sessions. Best live versions in my opinion for these tracks are the performances from Coimbra (North Star - 03-10-2010) and Helsinki (EBW - 21-08-2010)

I'm missing some era songs from NLOTH in the list above. There were also the following tracks:

- Breathe (Edit) - from linear DVD
- Get On Your Boots (with longer intro) - Amazon download
- Get On Your Boots (Crookers Remix) - NLOTH iTunes bonus download / rare CD promo
- Magnificent (UK Edit) - 7-inch vinyl and itunes download
- Magnificent (Fred Falke Radio Mix)
- Unknown Caller (Snow Patrol Remix) - Artificial Horizon tripple Vinyl - download bonus
- Get On Your Boots (Fish Out Of Water Mix) - Artificial Horizon fanclub CD / tripple vinyl
- I'll Go Crazy... (Edit) - UK Promo CD-single
- I'll Go Crazy... (Dirty South Mix Edit) - UK 7-inch single and US promo CD

And there were some none album tracks that were released around this time and can be considered from the session period from 2007-2009

- I Believe In Father Christmas (Greg Lake Cover) - Starbucks christmas CD - 2009
- Winter 2 - from Brothers movie (diff. from Linear version) - Movie DVD / Promo CD (quite rare)
- The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew - CD-single - recorded & released in 2008

You have me questioning my U2 devotion with this depth of knowledge ;]

I think you can say that Winter was officially released on the Linear DVD. But no, not as an audio-only song.

No, I don't think it did. But at least we heard the full studio version of that. The studio version of North Star was just teased. We heard less than half of it in the movie...and that's been it. No word, nothing else.

By the way, the Brothers version of Winter blows the Coldplay-biting Linear version of Winter out of the fucking water. It's not even close.

I really leak the 'Brothers' version myself. I don't mind the Linear version every so often, but I think it doesn't quite tie up as nicely towards the end as the more stripped-down version does.

It is pretty amazing though that the band has given an unreleased song to two separate movies, yet no proper release audio-wise. But it is nice to have Winter at least leak out in two proper forms though, even if they were taken directly from the Linear DVD/Brothers film.

EDIT: Oh hell, I didn't read far enough down to see this was already covered, but anyway there was a Winter promo CD-R.

I keep a b-sides playlist in iTunes, and the only tracks I have from the era are Father Xmas, NLOTH2, Winter, and Soon. No remixes. Ronnie Drew I have in the singles playlist instead.

Linear Winter is a bunch of poorly written pieces of music and lyrics poorly strung together. It sounds like a collection of lowlights from the NLOTH sessions, all of which coincidentally happened to be in the same key and tempo.

Brothers Winter is a palatable song. So yes, it's in a different stratosphere of quality from its predecessor.

Back
Top Bottom