So McGuiness is out...where's a band statement ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because the deal hasn't been made official yet and details haven't been dealt with? McGuiness has already made a statement, not sure what U2 should say. He isn't dead, he's just retiring. I don't think they need to make a statement. Everything that can be said on a personal level should be said between the five of them. I don't think he will be out of their personal lives.

"We'd like to thank Paul for dedicating 35 years of his life to us, but now we're excited to be moving on to the next chapter of our career with a younger more dashing manager who actually knows how to use a iPad". Kinda hard to put a positive spin on that. My guess is they'll probably keep it as low-key as possible (like a certain musical bombing out of Broadway).

Because the deal hasn't been made official yet and details haven't been dealt with? McGuiness has already made a statement, not sure what U2 should say. He isn't dead, he's just retiring. I don't think they need to make a statement. Everything that can be said on a personal level should be said between the five of them. I don't think he will be out of their personal lives.

No one said they have to discuss the deal in details. A thank you for 30+ years comes to mind.

eta : also...if Mcguiness openly talks about it surely this is a done deal.

It was clearly a resignation, nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure Paul has better things to do than wait for years for product to arrive.

We have an official statement from U2:
U2 > News > Thanking Paul McGuinness

'This week U2 finalised and signed a new management contract with Live Nation and Guy Oseary.

The band now want to publicly thank Paul McGuinness for his extraordinary leadership, guidance and friendship over the last 35 years.

Paul has saved us from ourselves many times over and we would not be U2 without him.

Sometime soon, U2 will begin a new adventure around the world and we totally understand and respect Paul's desire to not run away with the circus – AGAIN.

Perhaps more than any music management operation in history, Paul, alongside Trevor, Keryn and the team at Principle Management has always fought for our rights, for our music, for our fans and for the principles that we and he believe in. His central lesson was that if you cared for your "art", you must also "take care of business" as historically with rock and roll bands, the latter has undone the former.

We are relieved he will remain on as the mentor-in-chief.

We've known Guy for a long, long time, and we're excited that with Paul's blessing he's agreed to take us on. He is a brilliant man with a lot of energy, and knows he has got some big shoes to fill.'

Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry

Still hard to believe that he's out, been such a long time!

They were probably just waiting until all the contracts were finalized to make the announcement.

Paul is a very big reason of why U2 are still around today, still making music and playing shows, with ALL FOUR ORIGINAL MEMBERS!

They were probably just waiting until all the contracts were finalized to make the announcement.

Yes, that's what I thought, too. Still, the official statement makes me sad because it's so final now. Good to hear from them, though.

Exciting to hear that they will be touring again soon.

:up: Good to see the official statement.

U2 will begin a new adventure around the world :bow:

:up: Good to see the official statement.

U2 will begin a new adventure around the world :bow:

This could mean anything. My sources tell me U2 are in negotiations to participate on "The Amazing Race" this season in lieu of a tour, a stunning cross-promotion with the new record to be announced at the Superbowl (sic). This would explain the whole "adventure around the world" thing. Apparently, it's this decision...and Jimmy Iovine's dogged insistence that the band compete...that led to McGuiness's resignation. "First Spiderman now this lame f**cking sh*t. I'm outta here. This is Oseary's sh*t sandwich now" McG was rumoured to exclaim in profanity-laden frustration to a sympathetic John Vanderslice, who was in studio acting as a "lyricaturge" (a kind of dramaturge of lyrics) for Bono.

Back
Top Bottom