So, DO you like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think about HTDAAB?

• Total voters
HTDAAB has some of my favorite U2 songs on it.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
City of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Love and Peace Or Else

I'm disappointed numbers man hasn't come back to defend his post/claim the Most Hyperbolic Hyperbole Award.

I think that is a highly contentious interpretation of the evidence. Firstly, the 4th option was phrased in such an extreme manner that it's no surprise only nine people agreed. After all, one can strongly dislike HTDAAB without saying it's the worst album they have made- some rate October lower for instance. Secondly, the fairest reading reading of the evidence is that people deem it "okay". Those who said they loved it are counter-balanced by those who think it "not too great" and the dominant faction considers it okay but not among the band's best work. Although the majority view is more positive than my own I do not consider it a ringing endorsement either.

Thus, although I would not conclude that a mere 19 people "like" the album, I would put the figure at less than 70 because among the faction of 53 there will be those who "like" HTDAAB (albeit in a lukewarm fashion) and people who feel somewhat more ambivalent about it.

Now you're just making a fool out of yourself here. Even with ALL these votes saying that the majority of the people here do not hate Bomb you're now saying that it's the poll's fault? Come on dude, you cannot be serious. :huh:
Fucking accept the fact that the rest of the world doesn't hate this record as much as you do.

Now you're just making a fool out of yourself here. Even with ALL these votes saying that the majority of the people here do not hate Bomb you're now saying that it's the poll's fault? Come on dude, you cannot be serious. :huh:
Fucking accept the fact that the rest of the world doesn't hate this record as much as you do.

'tis true, although I wish the world hated Bomb as much as I do. :wink:

GG, 530 consecutive plays of NLOTH2? Damn.

'tis true, although I wish the world hated Bomb as much as I do. :wink:

GG, 530 consecutive plays of NLOTH2? Damn.

That's a week old... Hold on I'll update in a bit once I connect my ipod. :shifty:

I did a WITS-a-thon from the moment that song leaked.. made it to 999 consecutive plays. I'm aiming to break that record with NLOTH2 before the year passes. :D

That's a week old... Hold on I'll update in a bit once I connect my ipod. :shifty:

I did a WITS-a-thon from the moment that song leaked.. made it to 999 consecutive plays. I'm aiming to break that record with NLOTH2 before the year passes. :D
Doesn't it drive you mad?

An interesting post- unsurprisingly light on detail even less surprisingly heavy on assertion and delicious absurdity!

1) You have changed your definitions. In your previous post you concluded that the majority "liked" the album. That was the interpretation I was challenging in my post. Now you are claiming the majority "do not hate the album" but that is not the same thing. You can "not hate" album without actively liking it- in other words you can think it "okay." And that happens to be the majority response. That was also my interpretation of the poll (though you clearly have not read it). Therefore, we agree: most people here do not hate HTDAAB, but that does not entail they "like it" either.

2) The complaint about the 4th option was a quibble. I broadly accept the poll results.

3) If you had read my post more carefully you will have noticed that I do accept "the fact that the rest of the world doesn't hate this record as much as (I) do." For your convenience here is the relevant quotation with italics for emphasis: "although the majority view is more positive than my own I do not consider it a ringing endorsement either". This coheres with everything I have claimed: that is, the majority of people do not hate HTDAAB like I do. Instead they think it is "okay."

I can only conclude on a note of thanks since your post provided me with some quite wonderful entertainment :wave:

Doesn't it drive you mad?

:D Nope. I think this song is the best thing of the 00's together with WITS and BBC1's Electrical Storm. I don't mind listening to it at all, since it's in the background and on my ipod in the train and such anyway.
There are a lot of songs I get sick of easily, but some I just can't get enough of. I figure Streets I could never get sick of either.

The strange thing in some of these posts is that some of you seem to be equating "the world" with 100-odd people on Interference. Nor is Interference in any way indicative of the U2's overall fan-base. (Not to mention half of you weren't even born when U2 were at their peak of popularity.)

Having said that, I couldn't care less if everyone hates an album I like. Don't really understand the obsession (usually of men) with 'ranking' everything, as if popular music is a sport.

Galeongirl, you did kind of skew your poll by making the evaluations too strange. It might be less ambiguous in the future to just put something like: Outstanding / Very good / Good / Not very good / Terrible.

The strange thing in some of these posts is that some of you seem to be equating "the world" with 100-odd people on Interference. Nor is Interference in any way indicative of the U2's overall fan-base. (Not to mention half of you weren't even born when U2 were at their peak of popularity.)

Having said that, I couldn't care less if everyone hates an album I like. Don't really understand the obsession (usually of men) with 'ranking' everything, as if popular music is a sport.

Galeongirl, you did kind of skew your poll by making the evaluations too strange. It might be less ambiguous in the future to just put something like: Outstanding / Very good / Good / Not very good / Terrible.

Are you the Numbers guy?

Yeah, I can't really tell the difference between the middle two options (in all seriousness, it's impossible to tell which one is more favorable). And the last one is way too harsh. I think we need a poll redo here.

HTDAAB is probably my least favorite U2 album, but I still like it ok. Therefore I could correctly choose three of the four options.

Really, I didn't like the options either.
There are two different ways to judge a U2 album.
Relative to their other albums or relative to all albums.
So I chose #3 as a compromise to the latter (all albums).

Relative to all albums, it's not too great but not awful.
Relative to U2 albums, it's their worst.

Because while October would rank lower in my book, based on the first criteria (all albums, at face value) solely in the context of U2's work, they had no idea what they were doing when they made October. They were more than seasoned vets when they made Bomb.

Also, I have a bias against it, since they left so many preferable songs on the cutting room floor. Mercy, Smile, Xanax, Native Son, the alt versions of ABOY and Sometimes.
I prefer them all, so at least I am consistent, I guess. Yahweh, I can go either way on, I think both versions are pretty crappy.

the alt version of Sometimes

You're kidding, right? It sounds like the band is rehearsing the song for the first time. Bono apparently makes up a verse on the spot, one that goes absolutely nowhere. I'm not saying the album version is the Eternal Song or anything, but at least it's more or less complete.

Were it not for Rattle & Hum, this would be my least favourite U2 album.

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
=3. NLOTH/Pop

You're kidding, right? It sounds like the band is rehearsing the song for the first time. Bono apparently makes up a verse on the spot, one that goes absolutely nowhere. I'm not saying the album version is the Eternal Song or anything, but at least it's more or less complete.

It's also not an overwrought piece of shitty schmaltz like the one that showed up on the album.

All I said was I preferred it, I didn't say it was a great rendition.

Also I like the guitar in the verses a lot more but mostly, it's just not as blatantly melodramatic. Sounds more like the funeral song it was supposed to be than the contrived 'Grammy bait' that ended up on HTDAAB.

am I the only person here who would die to see Adam in that jumper the bass player has on? :lol:

Isn't that the same one Adam already wore on the October cover? Maybe he sold it to this guy after U2 hired their first stylist.

I'm glad Lillywhite convinced them to actually have a chorus in the song and mostly that they dropped the saccharine arrangement/lyric of the alternative version. And making Native Son - Vertigo.

I also am glad if he's the one behind turning Xanax and wine into Fast cars and picking the closing Yahweh over the alternate mix (a little less if he's guilty of losing the alt All because of you lyric but we can't have it all...).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom