So, DO you like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or not? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What do you think about HTDAAB?
I love it! Definitely one of my favourites. 31 19.14%
It's not my favourite, but it's still okay. 85 52.47%
Not too great, but still not awful. 32 19.75%
Worst POS they ever released. Needs to be burned at the stake! 14 8.64%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:29 PM
I love a lot of the songs, but they tinkered too much.

OOTS, MD, COBL, Sometimes, top notch.

powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
it's better than atyclb. but then again, it's like saying syphilis is better than gonorrhea.
Yeah, this. HTDAAB can burn.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 AM
It's still okay, but weak by U2's standards.

There's a handful of songs I dislike (Vertigo, Yahweh and AMAAW doesn't do much for me) so that would affect the amount of times I would listen to HTDAAB, which frankly, is very rarely.

On the other hand I have a liking for All Because of You (stuff ya'll!), Love and Peace (again), Original of the Species and of course, City of Blinding Lights. For the rest I only really have an indifferent opinion on them.
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:29 PM
I'd hit it, but i wouldn't take it home to meet my mom.
Mrs. Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
I'd hit it, but i wouldn't take it home to meet my mom.
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #26
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
It's awful. I voted for the last option, because I don't like the album at all, but in truth there is one U2 album that offends me more (R&H).
you are AWESOME.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #27
The Male

Local Time: 03:29 PM
I wouldn't really care one way or the other if it didn't exist, but it's hardly the worst piece of shit to ever assault my ears. I just can't get emotionally invested in it because the songs themselves are so bland...nothing ever connects with me, really. I had a blast with the album a few years back, but it hasn't held up well to scrutiny. On the other hand, I don't understand what makes it so awful relative to most shit I hear every day. It's only the height of mediocrity.

And BTW, that doesn't make it "terrible by U2 standards, great by anyone else's." That makes it mediocre by all standards.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
you are AWESOME.
Fuck yes.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #29
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Aside from Beautiful Day and Kite, ATYCLB is the worst piece of shit theyve ever made.
Gonna Run 2 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Yes, I think it's a brilliant album and one of my favorites. It's clearly not as good as TJT or AB, but neither is sex. I'd put HTDAAB in the "tier-two albums" category with a few others.

I just don't hear a single bad song on the album, and five or six of the tracks are amongst the best they've ever done. The energy level is higher than anything they've done since Achtung; they clearly made an effort to sound louder and stronger, and I think it was mostly to good effect.

I have no issues with the production. I remember hearing that a new U2 album was forthcoming in 2004, and this is exactly what I thought: "Wow, interesting...I hope it will have louder, more in-your-face production than ALTYCLB, which was a nice set of songs but compromised by the pop-radio production job." So, I personally was delighted with the brash sound and style of HTDAAB.

To this day, I have never seen the iPod ad nor heard "Vertigo" on the radio, so perhaps people's overexposure to things like that has passed me by. "Vertigo" is the killer rock guitar-riff of the decade -- exactly what people on forums like this were praying for before the album came out.

Bomb is also the most focused U2 album since the ZooTV days. My only criticism of it is that the overall sound of it, from song-to-song, lacks some texture. It's all a bit loud and brash, which is okay to a point, but then each song has almost the same kind of instrumental approach (which is why "A Man and a Woman" is kind of a relief with a nice acoustic sound). Achtung Baby kind of has the same quality, but it doesn't matter there because the songs are more diverse in arrangements than on HTDAAB.

Nevertheless, the record is incredibly strong melodically, and all the songs are short and punchy, so no harm done. It's a stunningly vital work for people in their mid-40s.
65980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 PM
I haven't listened to this album since it came out. Only really like 2 songs off of it now. COBL and Vertigo.

On and is it just me or does anyone think NLOTH crapped out because people felt that GOYB was similar to Vertigo? I wonder if people also thought that the album was similar to HTDAAB? Don't get me wrong I think NLOTH is a bit better than HTDAAB but I felt like they could've done more with it.
U2Girl1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #32
War Child

It's okay. Lyrically, I think it's pretty mediocre. Probably Bono's worst album in that sense. That being said, in terms of what Edge, Adam and Larry are doing musically, I like it quite a lot (with the exception of A Man and a Woman and Original of the Species). If they'd had Native Son, Smile, Fast Cars and Mercy on there it would have been a lot better all around.
SpaceBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Aren't the two options in the middle basically the same thing? I don't think it's as bad as what I voted for, but I still don't like it.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #34
Refugee

I honestly can't see how anyone would find any of these songs more enjoyable than any of the songs off any of their other albums. It's like what Mark Prindle said in his review of this album:

"people who have never heard songs before will think these are really great. Because in a sense, they ARE! But in another sense, they've already been written and recorded by U2 already. Several times. And too many of them are slow and don't go anywhere. And the lyrics are boring as shit. And that's what's so great about it!"

I feel if you had never heard anything by U2...hell, if you never heard anything pre-2004 in the music world, this album would rock your ass to town. If you're new to music in general (as in, never heard of the concept of music before), this album's for you.

(these are opinions)
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
i just saw in the old thread that my exact answer in this thread (er, had i posted it) was my exact answer in that old thread.
Apparently my opinions of the album have gone down.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I think it's a brilliant album and one of my favorites. It's clearly not as good as TJT or AB, but neither is sex.

Yes, I think it's a brilliant album and one of my favorites. It's clearly not as good as TJT or AB, but neither is sex.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Yeah, I saw this line, too, and immediately thought that this dude's notion of sex probably involves a relative's cock up his ass. I can't imagine I would enjoy that more than TJT or AB, either.
GibsonExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonExplorer View Post
Yeah, I saw this line, too, and immediately thought that this dude's notion of sex probably involves a relative's cock up his ass. I can't imagine I would enjoy that more than TJT or AB, either.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I, er, wouldn't say that, myself.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #40
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Please refrain from insulting other members. This is WAY out of line.

Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote