Sirena is back... and mega disappointed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sirena

The Fly
Hey people,

Sorry I didn't log in after I went to the listening party back in January. Things just unraveled from ther eon. I got in toruble for choosing to listen to U2 over a film festival, but it's no biggie. In fact, the main reason why I took the risk was because I was officially up for an interview with the band. At first, UNiversal was going to fly out two journalists out to Dublin, but then they said that U2 would be coming to Paris instead in Feb.

About 10 days prior to their arrival, I was told by Universal that I would be interviewing Adam and Edge and the other journalist would get Bono and Larry. A couple of days later, while I was working in Norway, I was informed that the band didn't want to be associated with my paper (they mistook it for a tabloid of a similar name. Would have been professional of their management to check. My paper just won a coveted prize too) and chose Le Monde instead. The publicist who I work with was pissed off for reasons I won't get into and I was disappointed and expressed it to her boss. This little prick got pisse doff that I was an angry and disappointed fan and just had a shitty attitude towards me.

I did go to the taping of "Le Grand Journal" and while I was in the VIP section (Bono and Edge were two feet away from me), he wouldn't let me meet the band afterwards, telling me that I was a "crap journalist" (really? I think my former employers (NY Times) would beg to differ). I have since heard a lot about this guy from others at Universal, mainly that he's despised and has some serious complexes and takes it out on others.

When I was leaving, Dallas saw me and recongized me (hadn't seen me since 2001, so that was cool) and said, "Why didn't you come up to me earlier? I would have taken you in to see the band." It was real sweet of him, but I would never have gone up to him while he was working.

I am really disappointed and upset that after over a decade of trying and coming that close to interviewing them that I would be so blatantly rejected. On top of that, I was insulted. I can't even listen to the album without hearing that I'm "crap". I would love their management to know all this (in further detail), but I don't think they care about a nobody.

I'm on vacation at my mom's in L.A. and rehashing all of this...

Enjoy the tour everyone (I'm not going).

Sirena

I did go to the taping of "Le Grand Journal" and while I was in the VIP section (Bono and Edge were two feet away from me), he wouldn't let me meet the band afterwards, telling me that I was a "crap journalist" (really? I think my former employers (NY Times) would beg to differ). I have since heard a lot about this guy from others at Universal, mainly that he's despised and has some serious complexes and takes it out on others.

Who is 'he'?

Sorry about the bad experience...

Hey people,

Sorry I didn't log in after I went to the listening party back in January. Things just unraveled from ther eon. I got in toruble for choosing to listen to U2 over a film festival, but it's no biggie. In fact, the main reason why I took the risk was because I was officially up for an interview with the band. At first, UNiversal was going to fly out two journalists out to Dublin, but then they said that U2 would be coming to Paris instead in Feb.

About 10 days prior to their arrival, I was told by Universal that I would be interviewing Adam and Edge and the other journalist would get Bono and Larry. A couple of days later, while I was working in Norway, I was informed that the band didn't want to be associated with my paper (they mistook it for a tabloid of a similar name. Would have been professional of their management to check. My paper just won a coveted prize too) and chose Le Monde instead. The publicist who I work with was pissed off for reasons I won't get into and I was disappointed and expressed it to her boss. This little prick got pisse doff that I was an angry and disappointed fan and just had a shitty attitude towards me.

When I was leaving, Dallas saw me and recongized me (hadn't seen me since 2001, so that was cool) and said, "Why didn't you come up to me earlier? I would have taken you in to see the band." It was real sweet of him, but I would never have gone up to him while he was working.

I am really disappointed and upset that after over a decade of trying and coming that close to interviewing them that I would be so blatantly rejected. On top of that, I was insulted. I can't even listen to the album without hearing that I'm "crap". I would love their management to know all this (in further detail), but I don't think they care about a nobody.

I'm on vacation at my mom's in L.A. and rehashing all of this...

Enjoy the tour everyone (I'm not going).

Sirena
That's terrible news. Isn't there a way you could write to Principle Management and just restate what you said here?

You shouldn't have to even go to such lengths. It's pretty shocking and disgusting, considering all the superficial idiots Bono hangs out with. How are those MTV and Much Music, etc VJs any different from tabloid journalists. I'm sure he wouldn't turn down any of those losers on CNN, who distract the American public from what they need to know, especially jerks like Anderson Cooper. It's obvious the band is perfectly willing to speak to scum if that scum have power; bunch of hypocrites.

I'm so sorry. Take care.

That's terrible news. Isn't there a way you could write to Principle Management and just restate what you said here?

You shouldn't have to even go to such lengths. It's pretty shocking and disgusting, considering all the superficial idiots Bono hangs out with. How are those MTV and Much Music, etc VJs any different from tabloid journalists. I'm sure he wouldn't turn down any of those losers on CNN, who distract the American public from what they need to know, especially jerks like Anderson Cooper. It's obvious the band is perfectly willing to speak to scum if that scum have power; bunch of hypocrites.

I'm so sorry. Take care.

Thanks.

Yeah, I am going to let Principle Mgt. (who don't exactly have the best working relationship with the French label, by the by) know about all this.
Back in 2001, when I was writing for NME, Bono put me on his guest list. The band does have a tendency to favor big-name publications and only link to their websites on U2.com. Le Monde, which has laid off about 300 people in the past couple of years and whose readership has gone way down, no longer has a music column and was on very bad terms with U2's French label, AZ. But they did the interview anyways asking questions very similar to those published in Q...

Get over it, that's life. Journalism works like that, it's a tough field. No need to blame U2 for this. Yes, I'm sorry they called you "crap", but the competition of media at such events is huge. I worked for media, too. It's not wise to be a journalist who wants to be taken seriously AND a fan at the same time, because you're emotionally involved, and that you shouldn't be if you work for media.
I don't understand why you stay away from the tour because of this, but you'll be missing out big time, sorry to hear.

Get over it, that's life. Journalism works like that, it's a tough field. No need to blame U2 for this. Yes, I'm sorry they called you "crap", but the competition of media at such events is huge. I worked for media, too. It's not wise to be a journalist who wants to be taken seriously AND a fan at the same time, because you're emotionally involved, and that you shouldn't be if you work for media.
I don't understand why you stay away from the tour because of this, but you'll be missing out big time, sorry to hear.

Did you even read her post before writing out a blind defence of the band and telling her to just 'get over' a major disappointment? Do you even think, or just shoot blindly at people who have an opinion that isn't yours?

She's not blaming U2, more their management and the people from Universal.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you Sirena - but don't lose hope, things may turn in the future!

Did you even read her post before writing out a blind defence of the band and telling her to just 'get over' a major disappointment? Do you even think, or just shoot blindly at people who have an opinion that isn't yours?

She's not blaming U2, more their management and the people from Universal.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you Sirena - but don't lose hope, things may turn in the future!

I'm with you there.

Yes it sucks, sorry you made that experience. I'm just saying if you work for the media, things like that happen all the time. It's unfortunate if you happen to be a fan, because you're emotionally involved, and that's not a good thing, like this situation is showing.

And if she's not blaming the band, why the (over-) reaction of not going to see the tour? That's what I don't understand.
Some people on here will welcome this story, because it will give them just another reason to bash the band.

The "get over it" might have been a little too harsh, sorry for that. It's just part of the job, and a press event basically isn't a fan meet&greet.

Hope you get to meet U2 privatly somehow.

I'm not blaming so much U2 for this. I can understand that they are picky about the media they work with, but their management should have checked it out a bit more.
I know I'm emotionally involved because I'm a fan (and it didn't pose a problem when I was writing for NME - maybe cos I had better "access" to the band), but the thing is I was promised the interview. It's a long story but I wil let the management know jsuit to get it off my chest.

I won't go to the show for personal reasons, but also because I don't have tix and Universal France is only giving them (including the ones intended for the press) out to VIPs. Yes, yes, they're real pro at Uni France...

The "get over it" might have been a little too harsh, sorry for that. It's just part of the job, and a press event basically isn't a fan meet&greet.

Hope you get to meet U2 privatly somehow.

I wasn't expecting a meet & greet but an INTERVIEW. And I have met a lot of other people I'm a fan of and have always remained professional.

Yes it sucks, sorry you made that experience. I'm just saying if you work for the media, things like that happen all the time. It's unfortunate if you happen to be a fan, because you're emotionally involved, and that's not a good thing, like this situation is showing.

And if she's not blaming the band, why the (over-) reaction of not going to see the tour? That's what I don't understand.
Some people on here will welcome this story, because it will give them just another reason to bash the band.

This story wasn't intended to bash the band. I'm not bashing the band but rather their management and especially the pricks at Universal France.

Tough break...sorry, that sucks. I would have been just as upset if I was in your position. As a fan of the band, you could have had the opportunity to ask some really good questions apart from the ones they get asked OVER AND OVER AGAIN when promoting a new album/tour.

:(

I want to go into journalism as well (Specifically covering music)...any tips for this High School Junior?

:eyebrow: Are you just looking for an excuse to defend the band like some sort of martyr? Shes probably not in the mood to go and see them when the people working around and for U2 have let her down. Even though it wasnt U2's fault directly, theres an obvious association there. If you were treated badly in a shop by an employee you would probably not go back to the shop. Same principle.

And "get over it" is such an arseholey statement. Theres is nothing wrong with being a fan and interviewing them, as she has stated, shes a professional, and professionals dont let fandom get in the way of their jobs.

She was professional in her first post too, she didnt throw a fit and blame the band for this. Try and think about what you post, as you obviously hadnt in your first reply.

Tough break...sorry, that sucks. I would have been just as upset if I was in your position. As a fan of the band, you could have had the opportunity to ask some really good questions apart from the ones they get asked OVER AND OVER AGAIN when promoting a new album/tour.

:(

I want to go into journalism as well (Specifically covering music)...any tips for this High School Junior?

I've met them privately and they're fun to talk to and I wanted to do a "different" interview. I'm sure most people on this forum could do great interviews of the band because their questions would be more original.

As for advice, well, I suggest studying communications and going to journalism school. Quite frankly, many, many journalists have not actually majored in journalism, but they can write, an important asset (obviously!). You constantly need to write, whatever comes into your head. A good exercise is to take 15 minutes each morning and write two or three pages about anything that's on your mind. The more you write, the more you develop your style and the more ease you gain. And read voraciously: newspapers (including foreign ones online), books, magazines, comics. Even chick lit is well-written. It's important to have solid general knowledge.

It's great if you have a specialty. Read as many music magazines as you can (most are also available online). It's important to listen to music and when you're a music critic, you eventually being to listen differently. I have given good reviews to albums that I would never buy or listen to again, but they had something: melody, performance, a vibe, a unique energy or element. You need to keep an open mind.

Music is constantly changing and tends to be cyclical, so it's important to keep up. Listen to everything - classical, jazz, soul, pop, rap, rock and everything in between. You may listen to a hard rock track and find some surprising elements in there.

If you have to interview or review a band whose music you're not too familiar with, I suggest you get their previous albums and listen to those as well. Very important to know a band's or artist's history and previous works.

You actually learn more on the job (aim for loads of internships) than at school. Also, there are lots of online music mags who are always looking for contributors. Great place to earn some experience and build up a portfolio.

Hope this helps!

^Thanks so much that was very helpful!

The only experience I have is writing album/movie reviews for my school’s news paper LOL. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding my "voice"...I feel as though I can be too influenced by all the magazines I read (MOJO, SPIN, RS, Q *any others you suggest?)

^Thanks so much that was very helpful!

The only experience I have is writing album/movie reviews for my school’s news paper LOL. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding my "voice"...I feel as though I can be too influenced by all the magazines I read (MOJO, SPIN, RS, Q *any others you suggest?)

We evil critics are doping a good job if yu're too infuenced! Seriosuly though, much of today's music (same goes for movies) journalism is unfortunately driven by "deals" struck with the labels (promises of exclusive interviews, e.g.) or advertising. Even the most reputable magazines now work that way. Write your own reviews for the sake of exercise before you read any other ones. Don't overthink it. The more you dwell on whether what you're writing is good or the more you worry about the form, the less you'll be able to express your sincere opinion/views. Take care of the form after you've got your ideas and thoughts down.

Like I said, to find your voice, just take a few minutes a day to write whatever comes into your head.

Back
Top Bottom