Sir Noel Gallagher backs U2 - despite not knowing anyone else who likes the band!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest I don't bloody care if they like U2 or not. For all I care they could hate U2's guts. I know Liam does and I'm well okay with it.

People outside the UK wont understand what Noel and Oasis mean to people

They are normal guys - not amazing musicians - basic talent- masses of self belief and they made it. If it wasnt for his brother, Liam would be on a building site or in jail right now
Liam can not sing like Bono or Freddie Mercury but that is part of the charm - proof that you and i could be a rock n roll star - that anyone could be on that stage and growl like he does- but for Oasis he is perfect, the greatest frontman in the world
I dont want Liam to dance on stage - i want that glare, the tambourine is his mouth and Noel backing him up

Liam was on the dole and went to the job centre and said he wants to be a rockstar and the man told him to get lost - when DM went to #1 he went back and gave him a mouthful

Noel is my hero - he has been through hell yet 90% of Oasis songs are about living life to the max, not caring about life's problems- about having belief in yourself to be someone
He could have easily wrote songs about how his dad beat him up, beat his mum up, how he was so traumatised that he used to have a stutter - he was dyslexic - got into a lot of trouble yet he still turned out to be the Godlike genius that he is - Noel even said that his childhood has never had a massive influence on the music as he did not want to send out a depressing message - he never had a music lesson in his life. He taught himself to play the guitar and wrote the best tunes ever

Kids in the uk from broken homes were given hope by Noel - people from working class areas stopped and listened as the songs were for them (primarily)- and millions of kids were encouraged to pick a guitar up for the first time when hearing Oasis - simple chords and melodys

Oasis is more than the music -its a mindset -its a religion, a way of life
I could post all night about how much i love this band

Well said, agreed 100%

Noel was unemployed on the dole and all he did was sit around playing guitar and writing tunes all day. It was funny when he said he can't kick out our kid from the band because his Mum would never have it.

I've always been fascinated by Oasis's (i.e., Liam and Noel's, since Oasis is just those two guys) self-perpetuated chutzpah. It's really an amazing thing. When they were on the rise back in 1994 (I remember those days), Noel considered them an indie-rock band. When they went mega in late-1995 to 1997, Noel told everyone they were better than The Beatles and that they were the greatest group ever; the sales were so overwhelming that people who should have known better actually started to believe him. When they started to come down to earth in 1998-2000, Noel still went on endlessly about how great they were, but it started to take on a slightly comic tone. When 60% of the band was fired/quit in 2000-2002 and each release was more boring than the last, Noel still went on about his integrity and how great Oasis was, only now it was becoming a comedy act.

Somewhere along the way, Noel has become the youthful fighter still trying to take down the gates of the rock'n'roll kingdom, while Liam has become the balanced father who now gets up early in the morning to take his kid to school and go jogging (his new daily routine, apparently).

I actually like Liam more than Noel because I like his voice a lot (albeit he can only sing in one style) and because he seems able to see Oasis from the man-on-the-street perspective, whereas all Noel can see is his own ego, which he endlessly tries to support. Liam has always had a sense of humour about it, whereas Noel takes himself and the group so seriously that he's become a bit of a joke himself. I also find Noel unbearably cynical -- not a quality that appeals to U2 fans.

I give them credit for picking themselves up off the dole in Burnage and getting on with doing something meaningful to them, and for maintaining their group through the madness years in the mid- to late-90s. But at the end of the day, they're not an overly important group. The chord-progressions and some melodies are absolutely first-rate (especially in the mid-90s), but everything else -- musicality, lyrics (the worst), diversity, originality -- is shite.

Fuckin' Oasis, dude. It's hard to even give the music a chance when every member of the band is a complete tool.

Have you met them have you?

Refreshing Honesty = Toolism?

Noel should refuse any knighthood. The Royal Family is a disgraceful institution.....a blight on humanity, the antithesis of meritocracy. Morrissey would refuse a knighthood.

"The Queen Is Dead boys....."

Well you have to give Oasis credit, they have made 2 good albums and i think we all know what they are.

How can you have a frontman who cannot sing?

Check MTV live at Wembley Arena or Live at Manchester to see what i mean.

Oasis WERE good...................in 1995

They are normal guys - not amazing musicians - basic talent- masses of self belief and they made it. If it wasnt for his brother, Liam would be on a building site or in jail right now
Liam can not sing like Bono or Freddie Mercury but that is part of the charm - proof that you and i could be a rock n roll star - that anyone could be on that stage and growl like he does- but for Oasis he is perfect, the greatest frontman in the world
I dont want Liam to dance on stage - i want that glare, the tambourine is his mouth and Noel backing him up

Liam was on the dole and went to the job centre and said he wants to be a rockstar and the man told him to get lost - when DM went to #1 he went back and gave him a mouthful

Noel is my hero - he has been through hell yet 90% of Oasis songs are about living life to the max, not caring about life's problems- about having belief in yourself to be someone
He could have easily wrote songs about how his dad beat him up, beat his mum up, how he was so traumatised that he used to have a stutter - he was dyslexic - got into a lot of trouble yet he still turned out to be the Godlike genius that he is - Noel even said that his childhood has never had a massive influence on the music as he did not want to send out a depressing message - he never had a music lesson in his life. He taught himself to play the guitar and wrote the best tunes ever

Kids in the uk from broken homes were given hope by Noel - people from working class areas stopped and listened as the songs were for them (primarily)- and millions of kids were encouraged to pick a guitar up for the first time when hearing Oasis - simple chords and melodys

They are about the 2 brothers and i only have one brother myself who is Oasis mental too- he is the Noel type and I am Liam! (with a big mouth)

My priorities in life
1.My family
2.Me
3.Oasis

MAD FOR IT :drool:

That's all fair enough, but shouldn't you be writing this on an Oasis forum? This is a board full of U2 fans and I don't think you're gonna convert them any time soon.

There was an interview in The Guardian with Noel Gallagher a few weeks where he claimed that whereas people love Oasis, they only like Coldplay - and U2.

Apart from that everything else he said made sense. I'll try and find the URL but a quick search hasn't brought it up.

He's a cool funny guy, but I stopped caring about his opinion the day he was jumped on the Tony Blair Cool Britannia bandwagon, the fact that was around the time the awful Be Here Now was released only added to my disillusionment. Glad he still likes U2 though, he gave them the lifetime achievment award at the brits.

I didn't grow up in West England, but what is this GIVING KIDS DREAMS shit? Yeah, give kids dreams, let's fucking bust up our sibling's noses and pretend we're the freaking Beatles, minus the once essential although then preposterously thought of aspect of talent. Of course, I ain't exactly Shabherst J. Mancunian though, so what do I know?

Go and listen to some INXS

Knives.jpg

Take your pick. It's on.

Ok

The greatest 'Australian' band is not even Aussie

AC/DC - Scottish at heart

Oh, Scotland can have 'em. Really, though I like to put on a bit of Ice House and Midnight Oil on out at the pub, the only Australian music I particularly like is what's been coming out in more recent years dance-wise... otherwise, I'll give a good portion of the music crown to you chaps on that island. ;)

Oasis fans are like Jehovah's Witnesses - they aim to convert and dont like taking no for an answer

One day i hope for a U2/Oasis collaboration- it would be immense

Oasis fans are like Jehovah's Witnesses - they aim to convert and dont like taking no for an answer

One day i hope for a U2/Oasis collaboration- it would be immense

I'm glad you noticed that yourself.

This must be why I find Oasis fans equally as annoying as those fuckin' Jehovah's pounding at my door at 10 am on a friggin' sunday morning.

Seriously, what's wrong with just enjoying the music yourself? Why bother trying to 'convert' people?

They are about the 2 brothers and i only have one brother myself who is Oasis mental too- he is the Noel type and I am Liam! (with a big mouth)

My priorities in life
1.My family
2.Me
3.Oasis

MAD FOR IT :drool:

Liam isn't the only person in the world who suffered through an abusive childhood. Most of us who have, went on to obtained college degrees, become wonderful parents who do not abuse their own children and have made even greater contributions to society. Such as giving our precious spare time to help others, for no pay. Has Liam every tutored children with the same learning disabilities he has? In order to help them read better?

I agree. The first two albums by Oasis are good ones. Though, I can't tolerate Liam's "potty mouth" as you Brits always say. And calling Bono the "c" word every chance he gets, shows Liam's limited usage of the english language.

In America, we would tell Liam, "to clean up his act."

Honestly, kind of gave up on Oasis, as many have. Their new stuff doesn't touch their old stuff....but their old stuff is classic and I always go back to it.

got "morning glory" in my cd changer right now actually....great band.

^ Yeah I thought they all went out partying together. And then theres the infamous Bono/Liam kiss photo.

And the story of Bono, Liam and Noel howling along to "One" that was playing on the radio, after Noel claiming it was the best song ever written.

Thanks for the backhanded compliment, Monobrow.

:yes: It's a completely backhanded compliment. 'Everybody hates U2.........but IIIIIII like 'em'. Is that supposed to be funny (probably!) And who cares about what Liam thinks anyway?

Don't they really believe they are the best band in the world? Oasis?!

I actually saw Oasis in a small little venue years and years ago in Minneapolis. They weren't too bad. A friend of mine helped Liam as he stumbled out of a pub and was apparantly a little dumbfounded by the snow. BEFORE the show.

I certainly didn't come away thinking, 'WOW that's the greatest band in the history of time!' :lol:

I don't get why some people here dislike Oasis so much. They are a top band. Liam not liking U2 only makes them better for me. Their attitude is probably the biggest part of them being so appealing to me.

Back
Top Bottom