Should be severely punished...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
.... whoever mixed the POP album songs for BEST OF 1990-2000 album.

POP album versions of GONE, Staring at the Sun, Discotheque, NUMB{ of ZOOROPA } were absolutely butchered. If those MIXING butchers are still
around U2, they will permanently destroy U2.

Do you agree with me?

I like the new mix of Numb quite a bit. And Discotheque, too, for that matter.

"Should be severely punished..."

oooh! Kinky! :sexywink:

POP album versions of GONE, Staring at the Sun, Discotheque, NUMB{ of ZOOROPA } were absolutely butchered. If those MIXING butchers are still

Do you agree with me?

I agree with you, Numb and Discotheque in particular didn't need meddling with, in fact Numb was already perfect.

The new mix of Gone slays the original and Numb is something of an improvement, but the new mixes of Discotheque and SATS should have never seen the light of day.

There's this bit at the end of the Gone on the POP album "I'll be up wit hthe sun, are you still holding on?" and Edge's guitar does this thing that is absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking...and it's been mixed out on the Best Of CD...

:no:

Do you agree with me?

I agree 99% (minus the punishment part, art is subjective). There's something about how the original songs - which could have been mixed cleanly ala the Best Of remixes - were mixed a little imperfectly, which brings something really nice out of them. In 50 years, that approach to mixing will probably be replicated and praised as innovative.

So uh, I've never heard any of these mixes. Could never find them on the internet; don't feel like paying for songs I already have. :reject:

I think they are mixed more cleanly, but lost something in spirit. I enjoy the newer discoteque more actually because the guitar is brought out really nicely, which IMO really amps up the song... gives it a more rock feel. SATS totally is worse, GONE I think is a little better. Numb is just...different. I think its too slick now though, and loses the point of the song as "numb."

Did you notice, however, that some of the new mixes are a little closer to how they were played live?

I love the Gone mix...I like the Discotheque mix but the drums are all wrong...I'm kind of impartial with SATS

Without Boom-cha....well, fuck, you don't have a Discotheque. It's like getting rid of Catorce off Vertigo. You can't do things like that!!!! :D

Anyone find the Mysterious Ways mix enjoyable?

The new mix of Gone slays the original and Numb is something of an improvement, but the new mixes of Discotheque and SATS should have never seen the light of day.

Gotta love it when you say exactly what I was planning to say here. :hi5:

The best thing about the new Gone mix has got to be the adding of Edge's backing vocals! I totally miss that on the album version.

the Staring at the Sun remix is about as poor as the original mix
the other mixes are all better 'single' mixes and do sound more in place with the rest of the 90s best of

Anyone find the Mysterious Ways mix enjoyable?

The only thing that was different was the last line of the second verse, and I'm yet to hear a valid argument about why that was changed.

If you mean the B-side mix, that version was on the original CD single.

I prefer the original versions to the ones on the "best of." I never listen to those. They sound all wrong to me.

They absolutely destroyed Discothèque. I'm completely indifferent on Numb. Gone... just give me a live version (either PopMart or Elevation).

SATS is the only one that I prefer the Hedges mix of, because of Edge's backing vocals. They add a lot, IMO.

I think the mixes are on the right track, but don't get there.

For example, Discotheque has better song structure and a much better vocal from Bono on the remixed version. Unfortunately, the made the song too rock, and not enough dance. They took out some of Edge's finest, weirdest guitar sounds and replaced them with what sounds like typical U2. It makes the song almost bland. And call me crazy, but I love the boom-cha.

Numb I'm indifferent to because I honestly don't hear that much of a difference.

Staring At The Sun was okay, especially the vocal harmonies. But I think the harmonies should actually be louder in the mix. Also, I don't like the pronounced bass at the beginning of the song. It truly is death by mid-tempo. A strictly acoustic recording is what this song needs.

Gone kills me. Worst mix ever. The Pop version, in my eyes, was pure perfection. They totally erased Edge's wailing, high guitar notes during the "goodbye", which totally made the song in my eyes. The Bono vocal on Pop is much better. The piano during the chorus on Pop made it much more dramatic. Overall, I can't find one thing on the remix that I think is as good as the original version.

Back
Top Bottom