Short Fly Inquiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
During the very last verse, what does Bono say?

"The universe explodin', 'cause of one man's _______"

It almost sounds like he's saying "porcupine" in that blank... I know it's just "lie" in the studio version.

Porkie pie - British/Irish slang for lie. I never like hearing it in the song tbh

Porkie pie - British/Irish slang for lie. I never like hearing it in the song tbh

That's always what I thought I heard, but I didn't think that was actually a legitimate phrase, so my mind tended to corrected it to "porcupine". Not that "porcupine" made any sense itself in that context...

ryancoke71 said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

What is a "short Fly" anyways?? :scratch:
It's a short inquiry about The Fly, not an inquiry about a short fly. :wink:

Thanks for the responses. Fuckin lie and porkie pie seem the most likely.

Oh don't be sorry! I'm the one who is slow today. Lack of sleep!:lol::lol::lol:

Bono_Fly_18.jpg

short fly

I've always heard "porcupine," too. If the universe explodes because of one man's porcupine, then does that mean the universe is inflatable and can be punctured by pointy things? Bono could be making a philosophical statement. :wink:

It never crossed my mind that it's anything other than " 'cause of one man's fuckin' lie." Anything else is just silly. :tsk:

It never crossed my mind that it's anything other than " 'cause of one man's fuckin' lie." Anything else is just silly. :tsk:

The OP says they know it's "just 'lie' in the album version," so I think they're talking about the lyric in some live versions.

You're all wrong. It's "lye."

It's a common known fact that Bono suffered severe chemical burns in 1990 from handling lye and accidentally spilling it on his lap. In fact, this incident inspired the giant lemon during PopMart, but the details are sketchy as to why.

Nothing will convince me otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom