Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it’s 4 cities in Asia, I’m betting on Singapore, Taipei, Seoul and either Tokyo, Yokohama or Saitama.

As for number of shows, no more than 15. I don’t think they’ll be able to play 2 nights in every city.

Interesting that U2songs says 'Many of these cities in Australia and New Zealand (but not all) will be getting two dates'. If U2 plays the same venues as Metallica then they could probably get away with one show in every city except Melbourne and maybe Auckland.

Adelaide won’t get a 2nd show. Maybe not Brisbane either, the 2nd show there in 2010 had the entire upper deck closed off. Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Auckland will definitely have 2 shows.

Good point. ^

Here’s something to chew on; u2start user “Remy”, who seems to be somebody in the know about this, says that in addition to AUS/NZ, there will be 4 Asian cities visited. Singapore is known to be one. However, he says he thinks Tokyo WILL NOT be one of the cities. The plot thickens...

If it’s 4 cities in Asia, I’m betting on Singapore, Taipei, Seoul and either Tokyo, Yokohama or Saitama.

As for number of shows, no more than 15. I don’t think they’ll be able to play 2 nights in every city.

Wasn't Vietnam mentioned at some point?

Adelaide won’t get a 2nd show. Maybe not Brisbane either, the 2nd show there in 2010 had the entire upper deck closed off. Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Auckland will definitely have 2 shows.

Sydney maybe I'm underestimating how popular they are still a little bit, but ANZ Stadium (the Olympic venue) holds a lot of people (just over 80k for a standard seated event). If they play any other venue, then two shows for sure.

Perth is at a new 60k seated stadium for a city with a population of just over two million.

/Sting

Last edited:
I was surprised when Perth and Brisbane got second shows in 2010. I wouldn't expect it this time around, but not impossible. No chance in hell Adelaide goes to a second show unless I've drastically underestimated how much every tenth South Australian foams for U2.

Melbourne and Auckland ought to be locks for two shows.

Sydney I'd be surprised if it gets any less than two. Closing off the top deck when you sell so many tickets overall is hardly going to bother them. Even if they only half fill the stadium on the second night, that's 40,000+ people, a sellout in many other cities!

I was surprised when Perth and Brisbane got second shows in 2010. I wouldn't expect it this time around, but not impossible. No chance in hell Adelaide goes to a second show unless I've drastically underestimated how much every tenth South Australian foams for U2.

Melbourne and Auckland ought to be locks for two shows.

Sydney I'd be surprised if it gets any less than two. Closing off the top deck when you sell so many tickets overall is hardly going to bother them. Even if they only half fill the stadium on the second night, that's 40,000+ people, a sellout in many other cities!

Oddly enough, Perth ended up selling more tickets than Sydney and Melbourne in 2010! Granted they hadn't been to Perth since 98 at that point, but even still that's quite a significant accomplishment in Perth. I think I remember reading that the first Sydney show had something like 65,000 people, and the 2nd night only had around 40,000. Yet there were no sections curtained off, and by all accounts it looked full.

Melbourne sold significantly less over 2 shows in 2010 than they did at the same stadium in 2006, despite being 360 in 2010. Yet nobody reported either show looking anything short of sold out. The only show that appeared to be not sold out was Brisbane 2.

From a very trusted source.

I bumped into an old work mate a few days ago who works for a major Aussie concert rigging company and he said they've pencilled in dates for November and December. It's now locked in and the announcement is within weeks or even days. My mate even told me around this time last year about how the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Metallica were touring Oz and NZ this year and how he was working them. I trust this source because I was astonished that he was right both times and even got the time frame spot on over a year in advance. He's said it's definitely stadiums and get this.....a string of smaller shows at the Sydney Opera House.

He also stated they were scheduled to tour in December 2017 for the Joshua Tree tour but postponed in July of that year due to 'costs'...but I think it was more likely due to the impending release of Songs of Experience. He had a period from November and December booked for the tour and even had a full itinerary of dates and travel booked but alas...the plug was pulled. Around the start of January 2018 he was told they cancelled their plans to come for that year.

Again, take it with a grain of salt. But his information proved to be right before.

Last edited:
He's said it's definitely stadiums and get this.....a string of smaller shows at the Sydney Opera House.

You're fucking joking.

You're. Fucking. Joking.

And to think Crowded House and The Cure tickets were bedlam there.

Sydney Opera House?? Maybe it’s finally time for me to visit this non-existent country.

And also time for Cobbler to return the favor for me getting him a ticket to JT in Los Angeles...

Again I'm taking all of this shit with a few kilos of salt, but I feel like this set of rumours has been quite consistent. Four or five different sources saying similar things. Maybe it might just come true.

Sydney Opera House?? Maybe it’s finally time for me to visit this non-existent country.

And also time for Cobbler to return the favor for me getting him a ticket to JT in Los Angeles...

Piece of piss mate, I'll get you a ticket. Although Sydney is a piece of shit and if you come here just for Sydney and talk about how beautiful it is I'll murder you.

:love:

No way I would go all the way out there and not check out Melbourne. I also have some acquaintances in Perth, but that might be a bridge too far.

It would be forecourt. Those shows have been all the rage for the past few years. The concert hall is nothing special at all, just any old concert hall, and so I think if they were going to do an intimate show there's many better venues they could pick.

I've watched the Crowded House and Paul Kelly Opera House forecourt TV broadcasts multiple times and they're pretty great, feelings about Sydney aside.

The Cure's four upcoming shows are in the concert hall though, so who knows.

For all we know, “opera” in Australia is just a Punch & Judy show accompanied by a didgeridoo quartet.

I have literally urinated on the steps of the Sydney Opera House.

Three-year-old me was doing his patriotic duty marking the territory for New Zealand.

Please remember this, everyone, when you are standing on the steps watching U2 belt out Desire.

I pissed on the steps because I was three years old, try some closer reading Cobbs. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom