Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's kerb, get your spelling right before you come to this country boyo.

At least SOI/E benefited from a presence on TV in the Northern Hemisphere around the time tickets went on sale - and the whole thing of bundling the album in with tickets.

Channel 9 ended up showing a version of that Abbey Road Studios SOE promo show, but it was on New Year's Eve so either nobody watched it or they stumbled on it and passed out on the curb from drinking too many Foster's have no recollection of it.

I've never said they'll play JT in full. Nor do I think they will. Also, it's what they choose to emphasise in PROMOTION that we're talking about right now, not what they end up playing (despite the thread title).

And hey, when they came here on Vertigo, explicitly promoting HTDAAB, they played just 4 songs from that album at most shows. The second Auckland show in 2006 set the record for least songs from a new U2 album up to that point, with 3. It remains the equal recordholder.

I'm gonna let you think you won this debate, laz, because I just don't give enough of a shit to argue about things that everybody else can either tell has been resolved already, or talked out.

All I'm saying is that "U2 touring Songs of Innocence + Experience!" is not as big a draw as some formulation of "U2 touring their Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum hits plus old and new favourites". With the cost of touring down here, why leave money on the table?

Fair enough, and to be clear, I’m not so sure myself that they’re just going to call this “Experience and Innocence” or the inverse and leave it at that. It’s a fairly unique situation timing-wise. I honestly hope to be surprised because it will at least mean we’ll be hearing something different.

Are the odds pretty good this is actually happening and we’re not just spinning our wheels? It’s a fascinating thread for sure with some interesting info, would hate to see this amount to nothing though.

The best U2 setlist I’ve ever seen was done by a U2 cover band that I saw last year. It’s like they just took Boy-Achtung, threw the better songs from those in a blender, and that was their setlist. They also threw in Vertigo, COBL, BD and Elevation, but that was all they did from post Achtung. Played about 20-25 songs, no flowing narrative, just playing U2 songs. You had IWF into The Fly into Desire into Gloria into BD into SBS into WOWY into EBTTRT, that sort of thing. It was awesome, and I wish U2 would do that. That’s what this hypothetical tour should be. Just a celebration of their whole career. They could call the tour “U2: A Celebration”. And not play “Celebration”.

Side note, the 3 “musicians” were perfectly on point. Their “Edge” had his shit together. But their “Bono” was rather unfortunate sounding.

Are the odds pretty good this is actually happening and we’re not just spinning our wheels? It’s a fascinating thread for sure with some interesting info, would hate to see this amount to nothing though.

It is safest to assume it is not happening. We've been in this situation many, many times before and almost always come up empty-handed.

Don't forget the abandoned stadium tour of 2002. We even had some actual dates for several shows across Europe that summer, as well as the timeframe of October for South America/Mexico. For whatever reason, it never happened. This could be nixed too.

However, at this point, it does seem like it might be happening this year. Paul McGuinness even accidentally confirmed it, sort of. Still, nothing is official until it's official.

lol the last few pages of this thread.

i don't have any real evidence to sway me this way but i suspect that if they went to aus/nz they wouldn't market the tour as an extension of any previous tour. it would probably just be something like "U2 Asia-Australia 2020" printed on the tour shirts and posters under some generic black-and-white photo of the band staring off into the middle distance.

The best U2 setlist I’ve ever seen was done by a U2 cover band that I saw last year. It’s like they just took Boy-Achtung, threw the better songs from those in a blender, and that was their setlist. They also threw in Vertigo, COBL, BD and Elevation, but that was all they did from post Achtung. Played about 20-25 songs, no flowing narrative, just playing U2 songs. You had IWF into The Fly into Desire into Gloria into BD into SBS into WOWY into EBTTRT, that sort of thing. It was awesome, and I wish U2 would do that. That’s what this hypothetical tour should be. Just a celebration of their whole career. They could call the tour “U2: A Celebration”. And not play “Celebration”.

Well you can't celebrate "their whole career" and not play anything recorded after 2004. Whether you like that material or not.

The Rock have a 'big' announcement 8am nz time tomorrow morning. Most people think it's Metallica but you never know? You'd think if it was U2 then an ozzie station would also be advertising an announcement?

Can't wait for it be fucking Vance Joy or something.

Metallica it is:

Metallica Heads Down Under!

It’s about time!! We’re more than excited to announce that we’ll be heading back to Australia and New Zealand in October. It’s been over six years since we last visited Australia and nine years since we were lucky enough to set foot in New Zealand... we’re long overdue!

This trip represents another new adventure for us during the WorldWired tour; it will be the first time we have ever headlined stadiums in Australia and New Zealand. To help us celebrate, our friends in Slipknot will be joining us for the journey... six cities, black tickets, enhanced experiences, free albums and downloads, and more!!

Fan Club presales begin Tuesday, March 12th at 1 PM local time for Legacy Members and 2 PM local time for Fifth Members. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on Monday, March 18th.

October 17, 2019 / Perth, WA / Optus Stadium
October 20, 2019 / Adelaide, SA / Adelaide Oval
October 22, 2019 / Melbourne, VIC / Marvel Stadium
October 26, 2019 / Sydney, NSW / ANZ Stadium
October 29, 2019 / Brisbane, QLD / QSAC
October 31, 2019 / Auckland, NZ / Mt. Smart Stadium

All this talk of the Joshua tree u2 being a draw and soi / soe u2 not being a draw. Don’t people realise the draw is u2 not the current album that’s been released or any old album. The fact u2 are touring is the draw.

I’m sure u2 won’t have any problem selling shows in a country their big in and haven’t been to for years . Doesn’t matter what they play the fact it’s u2 will be enough.

If someone says popmart :) popmart was totally different to today. U2 were still a relevant band then , a current band. People cared a lot about new material. Now they are a legends act that people will go and see just in case it’s the last chance they ever get to see them live. Popmart was over 20 years ago

Last edited:
You’re right, to an extent. U2 are a huge draw just by their name alone. However, look at the 2017 tour. They were filling stadiums in place like Louisville, Kansas City, Buffalo, etc. That was done because of the Joshua Tree. If the Experience and Innocence Tour would’ve set up in the same stadiums, I doubt they would’ve come close to having the same numbers.

A JT/Greatest Hits type tour in Australia could be the difference between playing 2 stadium shows in Sydney and playing 3. This tour needs to generate a lot of money because a lot of travel is involved, among other factors.

Metallica it is:

Metallica Heads Down Under!

It’s about time!! We’re more than excited to announce that we’ll be heading back to Australia and New Zealand in October. It’s been over six years since we last visited Australia and nine years since we were lucky enough to set foot in New Zealand... we’re long overdue!

This trip represents another new adventure for us during the WorldWired tour; it will be the first time we have ever headlined stadiums in Australia and New Zealand. To help us celebrate, our friends in Slipknot will be joining us for the journey... six cities, black tickets, enhanced experiences, free albums and downloads, and more!!

Fan Club presales begin Tuesday, March 12th at 1 PM local time for Legacy Members and 2 PM local time for Fifth Members. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on Monday, March 18th.

October 17, 2019 / Perth, WA / Optus Stadium
October 20, 2019 / Adelaide, SA / Adelaide Oval
October 22, 2019 / Melbourne, VIC / Marvel Stadium
October 26, 2019 / Sydney, NSW / ANZ Stadium
October 29, 2019 / Brisbane, QLD / QSAC
October 31, 2019 / Auckland, NZ / Mt. Smart Stadium

Calling it now, U2 will play the exact same venues in each city. It's too tempting an opportunity for them to try to usurp all Metallica's attendances in identical circumstances about a month later. Would it also be more likely logistics-wise since Metallica and U2 are both tied to Live Nation? Possibly?

Last edited:
Where's Rasta to say that U2 will play at Sydney Football Stadium

Calling it now, U2 will play the exact same venues in each city. It's too tempting an opportunity for them to try to usurp all Metallica's attendances in identical circumstances about a month later. Would it also be more likely logistics-wise since Metallica and U2 are both tied to Live Nation? Possibly?

Agreed, except Lang Park rather than QSAC for Brisbane.

Where's Rasta to say that U2 will play at Sydney Football Stadium

:lmao:

You’re right, to an extent. U2 are a huge draw just by their name alone. However, look at the 2017 tour. They were filling stadiums in place like Louisville, Kansas City, Buffalo, etc. That was done because of the Joshua Tree. If the Experience and Innocence Tour would’ve set up in the same stadiums, I doubt they would’ve come close to having the same numbers.

A JT/Greatest Hits type tour in Australia could be the difference between playing 2 stadium shows in Sydney and playing 3. This tour needs to generate a lot of money because a lot of travel is involved, among other factors.

I think your right in a North American market cause theve toured so much there over the years. The Joshua tree tour was something different that a generation of fans hadn’t seen.

Where as in Australia/Asia/NewZealand places u2 haven’t been for a long long time , the name u2 will sell the tour alone I think

Good point. ^

Here’s something to chew on; u2start user “Remy”, who seems to be somebody in the know about this, says that in addition to AUS/NZ, there will be 4 Asian cities visited. Singapore is known to be one. However, he says he thinks Tokyo WILL NOT be one of the cities. The plot thickens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom