Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still don’t know why they would focus on old material in cities that weren’t visited during the last two album’s tours. It doesn’t reflect the past decisions made by the band.

And considering it’s been almost 10 years, I really don’t think they’re going to have a hard time selling tickets regardless of what they play, so the idea that they need to do JT shows to make the big money doesn’t hold water for me.

They really need to play some shows in Asia.

U2songs have recently reported Japan, Singapore and oddly enough, Vietnam are rumored to be getting shows. There’s also a Hawaii rumor in there somewhere.

Apparently Paul McGuinness also somewhat confirmed that an announcement is coming.

Can I allow myself to consider the possibility that this may be happening yet

Also it's about time Adelaide got a break, they've earned it *cue Adelaide's show being moved to the Gold Coast for no good reason*

If they play Adelaide on November 16, it will have been exactly 13 years since their last show in Adelaide in 2006. That show was exactly 13 years to the day since their previous Adelaide show, in 1993. I would have to keep that gimmick going.

Willie Williams has said they are adding a boxing ring adjacent to the tree stage for the Headache/Axver fight which will take place during Red Hill Mining Town in an effort to distract concertgoers from the awful Edge piano and piped in horns arrangement, and a large cooler for Axver to store his Foster's whilst he gets pummeled.

I can't believe you're taking the side of that scoundrel.

Anyway, if the collective will of Norway can't beat me, good luck Headache, you're gonna need it.

U2songs says 5 cities in Australia, 1 in New Zealand. Routing is being finalized and an announcement is being prepped. Maybe announced next week?

Auckland, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth. First time both Adelaide and Perth are done on the same tour since 1989. The only one of these that has any realistic possibility of being different is if they do Wellington instead of Auckland. Christchurch is out of the frame at the moment, and if it's only 1 city then that pretty much rules out Dunedin as they would not play Dunedin without also playing Auckland.

So the plot thickens. For 2 months you’d figure more cities, dates, countries than that.

Countries, maybe. Cities in Australia/New Zealand, nope. They've only ever done five cities in Australia (and most tours have been four, i.e. Adelaide OR Perth). They've done three in New Zealand, but the last time they went beyond Auckland was 1993.

Because people here care even less about the last two albums than Americans and Europeans.

SOI/E might as well not even exist here.

Also it's about time Adelaide got a break, they've earned it *cue Adelaide's show being moved to the Gold Coast for no good reason*

Sport teams go to the Gold Coast to die, so if U2 book a gig at Metricon we know it really is the end for them too.

If they play Adelaide on November 16, it will have been exactly 13 years since their last show in Adelaide in 2006. That show was exactly 13 years to the day since their previous Adelaide show, in 1993. I would have to keep that gimmick going.

I am extremely here for this factlet to come to pass.

Personally I'm hoping this tour takes a leaf out of Elton John's recent schedule and that the 1 city in New Zealand and 5 cities in Australia turn out to be:

Napier
Cairns
Newcastle
Wollongong
Launceston
Darwin

I've sold Bonorails to Fostersville, Dundeeland and North Haverbrook

I've met him, he's like 6'3", but most importantly, he can see. :wink:
Smart money is on the 'Murican in this one.

I'm imagining a modified Amazing Grace for the fight's theme song

One's blind but one can see

VastVeneratedGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

Got your back Ax.

Also, if I’d ever seen a fosters, I’d have one waiting for you afters. And some kangaroo. Who the fuck eats Koala... that’s just sick...

This will be the standard set list:

4th Of July
Street Missions
Shadows And Tall Trees
Discotheque
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Twilight
What Ever Happened to Pete The Chop
Tomorrow
Red Hill Mining Town
Zooropa
Grace
Crystal Ballroom
Red Light
God Part II
Original Of The Species
Spanish Eyes
I Threw A Brick Threw A Window
Please
Seconds
Desire
All I Want Is You
Angel Of Harlem
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or With Out You

So Australians don't care for post 2000 U2?

Aside from the hits, Beautiful Day and Vertigo, I would say there isn’t any care at all. As was said earlier, SOI / SOE may as well not exist and similar could be said for NLOTH too.

A JT / LT themed tour on the other hand would go down really well. It’s the only way I see them being able to fill stadiums in Australia. The fact that stadiums are rumoured gives a strong hint as to how the tour will be branded and marketed.

Got your back Ax.

Also, if I’d ever seen a fosters, I’d have one waiting for you afters. And some kangaroo. Who the fuck eats Koala... that’s just sick...

:up:

Fosters, the mystery American juice. Headache can have it.

This will be the standard set list:

4th Of July
Street Missions
Shadows And Tall Trees
Discotheque
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Twilight
What Ever Happened to Pete The Chop
Tomorrow
Red Hill Mining Town
Zooropa
Grace
Crystal Ballroom
Red Light
God Part II
Original Of The Species
Spanish Eyes
I Threw A Brick Threw A Window
Please
Seconds
Desire
All I Want Is You
Angel Of Harlem
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or With Out You

Would be better than their most recent sets.

The only way they would struggle to sell tickets is if they repeatedly say they'll only play songs from NLOTH / SOI+SOE.

I don't buy this at all.

Incredible take given you've never been to Australia.

I'm not convinced that, if it was a weirdly-marketed hodge-podge of the last three tours, or E+I, they'd be able to sell out 2+ nights in stadiums. They haven't been here in a decade essentially and when they last toured they still had a smidge of relevance.

Now, the only thing with a shred of relevance they've done since is touring JT30. That's the only thing that's made a blip on people's radars. Otherwise they're just the band that forced an album no one listened to onto people's iPhones. No one has a clue about SoE. But they know The Joshua Tree, there was a 10-minute story on that tour on one of our top-rating current affairs shows in 2017, people here love Rattle & Hum more than the rest of the world and Lovetown started in Australia and featured 25 shows hitting the five biggest cities.

The fact they're so big, plus the nine-year absence, means they might still sell out 2+ stadium shows, but no one gives a fuck about them so it's not a sure thing. If they want to get best bang for their buck, with large amounts of sellouts, then it has to be centred around Joshua Tree & Lovetown. They missed the boat for i+e and e+i.

The only way they would struggle to sell tickets is if they repeatedly say they'll only play songs from NLOTH / SOI+SOE.
If the marketing doesn’t ram home a retro JT / LT message then they will struggle. The masses don’t really give a fuck about them any longer in this country. You need the masses to sell out stadiums.

If the marketing doesn’t ram home a retro JT / LT message then they will struggle. The masses don’t really give a fuck about them any longer in this country. You need the masses to sell out stadiums.
I agree. A lot of people assume that a 9 year absence automatically equals massive ticket sales. But a long absence can also swing sales the other way, especially when you've had no hits or any sort of presence with the public (iPhone debacle aside) since your last visit.
It will be interesting to see if they go with huge stadiums (70k+) or play it safe with 30-40k venues.

Selling out stadiums in Australia is never a sure thing. Lets not forget what happened in early 1998 when they brought the POPMART tour down under

Sydney - 38,000 attendance

Melbourne - 23,000 attendance

Brisbane - 17,000 attendance

Perth - 14,000 attendance

I still think doing a special 30th anniversary Love Town Tour booked in arenas is the better way to go. It allows you to start small and build from there based on demand. The only problem is that it would take a lot more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom