Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at all the Americans who don’t know how to pronounce Melbourne.

I really don’t understand what’s going on here but we don’t pronounce it any different from you. The difference is all in the accent.

Ya friends, sorry to tell you, that’s your accent.

Yeah, but it isn’t though.

When a human being is birthed, we say they were born just as you would (with an accent adjustment).

We don’t say that a baby was bn.

And now you know you are wrong, you can begin to mn.

Last edited:
I say Bris-bin. I have no issue with that and saying that folks who say Bris-bayne are pronouncing. It wrong.

Mel-burn vs Mel-bun is because Aussies (and Brits) have the tendency to not say last-syllable r’s. Similar to American tendencies of replacing inner t’s with d’s (water = waw-dur)

Or next you’ll tell me New York is simply pronounced Nyewwyowek

Touring bands from New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, Europe, anywhere really: hello Melbourne!

Touring bands from the US: hello MelBOOOUUUUURRRNNNNE!

I say Bris-bin. I have no issue with that and saying that folks who say Bris-bayne are pronouncing. It wrong.

Mel-burn vs Mel-bun is because Aussies (and Brits) have the tendency to not say last-syllable r’s. Similar to American tendencies of replacing inner t’s with d’s (water = waw-dur)

Or next you’ll tell me New York is simply pronounced Nyewwyowek

No-one in the world says Mel-burn. Seppos day Mel-born.

Born, torn, scorn, forlorn, worn....

It’s nothing to do with the accent.

Nobody in the world. Except, you know, it’s a fucking city in Florida, too.

It has everything to do with your accent versus ours. This lofty Internet bullshit is tiresome.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English

There’s a good god damn common ancestor between Aussies and kiwis and Bostonians and the southern United States redneck. None of you wish to take on the your Melbourne r. That’s how you fucking speak. That’s not how the General American accent works.

You're wrong lol.

My favorite thing about you is your general pompous behavior in pair with the way you talk about things like mental health etc., as though you’re a quality person who doesn’t sit there and patronize, troll, and belittle people on the internet for your own amusement at the expense of others.

My behaviour on here has definitely not been perfect, although I have tried to make a point to be less mean in recent times, and I've definitely been cognisant of attempting to prevent pile-ons on you, you've copped way more than you deserve in your time here.

On this occasion, I think this is another example however of things being lost in translation over the internet. If we were having this conversation in real life we'd be laughing. It's a dumb, silly conversation that ultimately doesn't matter one iota. You're wrong, it's not our accent, as Dan pointed out, but, this is a silly light-hearted conversation, much as if we were talking scrunch vs fold for toilet paper or something like that.

If you meant half of what you’d just said, you’d avoid responding or respond with something-other-than “I ignored everything you just said in order to mock you with a three word reply.”

I replied in fun with an interesting food-for-thought on sociolinguistics the first time. I got a short-and-disregarding response so I explained. With an article that spoon feeds you examples of exactly the difference between the way we speak in this instance. You’re not obliged to read that, but save me the “you’re wrong lol” mockeries if you don’t want to.

I replied in fun with an interesting food-for-thought on sociolinguistics the first time. I got a short-and-disregarding response so I explained. With an article that spoon feeds you examples of exactly the difference between the way we speak in this instance. You’re not obliged to read that, but save me the “you’re wrong lol” mockeries if you don’t want to.

Nobody in the world. Except, you know, it’s a fucking city in Florida, too.

It has everything to do with your accent versus ours. This lofty Internet bullshit is tiresome.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English

There’s a good god damn common ancestor between Aussies and kiwis and Bostonians and the southern United States redneck. None of you wish to take on the your Melbourne r. That’s how you fucking speak. That’s not how the General American accent works.

lol you're so playful, like a kitten with a ball of twine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom