Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the normal response of a 'band spokesperson' to such questions be silence rather than denial? Nothing to be concerned about here.

Thinking of Today's target audience (I think they broke the news about the latest Fleetwood Mac tour, for example), I really can't think of which other bands it could be.

Wouldn't one of hottest bands in the world imply that it's someone who, ya know, is current popular?

They didn't say biggest ..

It's Richard Wilkins. This is an EXTREMELY on brand way for him to describe U2. The man is a joke, but keeps swanning around as if he is the most esteemed music journalist.

Anyway, it may or may not be U2, but it's definitely the way Wilkins would describe them if it is.

Thinking of Today's target audience (I think they broke the news about the latest Fleetwood Mac tour, for example), I really can't think of which other bands it could be.

Ha, yeah, this is another reason it won't be a young band. Whoever it is will presumably be at least from the nineties if not older.

What's naïve is thinking that none of The Best Thing, American Soul or Get Out will be in the set list. Chances are 10,000x more that all 3 are in the set every night than none of them. You can probably count on 2 of them.

History does not support my view being naive.

By this logic, The Fly would've been a lock on Popmart.

Discotheque would've been an Elevation staple, not played sporadically on that tour.

Walk On would've been played far more than a handful of times on Vertigo.

Sometimes you cant make it on your own, a number 1 single in many countries and a grammy winner for song of the year, would've been played on 360.

Get on your boots and Magnificent wouldn't have been ignored and played once respectively on I&E.

Hell, Every breaking wave and Miracle wouldn't have sat out E&I entirely.

The list goes on and on and on and I don't see what is so naive about it.

Neither Best Thing nor Get out of your own way were as successful as the songs mentioned above. Neither were anything to write home about live. As for American Soul, it was already dropped for the European leg of E&I.

Also, Every breaking wave and Love is bigger were arguably the songs that made the biggest splashes on their respective albums and I have both in my list.

Now, I realize that this tour, if it happens, is likely to be something a little different for U2 (though not entirely without precedent) in terms of what it is promoting. However, that argues even more against them thinking that singles from the most recent album are a must to include in the setlist. If we go on the educated assumption that they're going to be giving a taste of the last 3 tours while paying homage to the adored Lovetown era, they are going to lean more heavily on JT/LT and hits than SOE. JT will not get less than 6 songs.

Last edited:
History does not support my view being naive.

By this logic, The Fly would've been a lock on Popmart.

Discotheque would've been an Elevation staple, not played sporadically on that tour.

Walk On would've been played far more than a handful of times on Vertigo.

Sometimes you cant make it on your own, a number 1 single in many countries and a grammy winner for song of the year, would've been played on 360.

Get on your boots and Magnificent wouldn't have been ignored and played once respectively on I&E.

Hell, Every breaking wave and Miracle wouldn't have sat out E&I entirely.

The list goes on and on and on and I don't see what is so naive about it.

Neither Best Thing nor Get out of your own way were as successful as the songs mentioned above. Neither were anything to write home about live. As for American Soul, it was already dropped for the European leg of E&I.

Also, Every breaking wave and Love is bigger were arguably the songs that made the biggest splashes on their respective albums and I have both in my list.

Now, I realize that this tour, if it happens, is likely to be something a little different for U2 (though not entirely without precedent) in terms of what it is promoting. However, that argues even more against them thinking that singles from the most recent album are a must to include in the setlist. If we go on the educated assumption that they're going to be giving a taste of the last 3 tours while paying homage to the adored Lovetown era, they are going to lean more heavily on JT/LT and hits than SOE. JT will not get less than 6 songs.
What in the name of Paul Hogan are you talking about?

All of your examples are about tours in the next album cycle. They are still in the Songs of Experience album cycle.

The big announcement tomorrow is Queen for Australia. Apparently LiveNation put off U2’s announcement to make room for Queen and Metallica’s additional shows to go on sale this week. U2songs says U2’s announcement will be later this month. Make what you will of that, but those guys usually have good info. They were the first place to mention the December 1st release date of SOE, for example. And they leaked out a lot of the 2018 tour dates before they were announced.

See you back here on April 29.

Also, how weird that Queen are playing AAMI Park in Melbourne, but larger stadiums everywhere else.

What in the name of Paul Hogan are you talking about?

All of your examples are about tours in the next album cycle. They are still in the Songs of Experience album cycle.

No, they're not.......

That's why we've been discussing and debating what the tour will promote for a number of months now.

Of course nothing has been announced, but there's absolutely no information out there that suggests they're continuing the SOE cycle. Everything out there suggests otherwise.

Either way, your point is, what, exactly??

Were they not in the Vertigo cycle for the Australia 2006 shows when they cut way down on HTDAAB?

Were they not in the NLOTH cycle for the 360 2011 shows when they cut way down on NLOTH?

Last edited:
The big announcement tomorrow is Queen for Australia. Apparently LiveNation put off U2’s announcement to make room for Queen and Metallica’s additional shows to go on sale this week. U2songs says U2’s announcement will be later this month. Make what you will of that, but those guys usually have good info. They were the first place to mention the December 1st release date of SOE, for example. And they leaked out a lot of the 2018 tour dates before they were announced.

lol

THEY LITERALLY CAN NOT BW TALKING A OUT ANY OTHER BAND THAN U2 FOR MONDAY'S ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

lol

THEY LITERALLY CAN NOT BW TALKING A OUT ANY OTHER BAND THAN U2 FOR MONDAY'S ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

You seriously got a problem with me don’t ya, internet stranger?

I admit it, I was WRONG. Must’ve been the highlight of your awesome life.

Last edited:
Nobody picked Queen as a possibility because they were last here just over one year ago.

Yeah I don’t think anybody would’ve guessed that was who they were referring to.

You seriously got a problem with me don’t ya, internet stranger?

I admit it, I was WRONG. Must’ve been the highlight of your awesome life.
Yes. I actually print out posts where I'm right and others are wrong and hang them on the wall of my bedroom at my parent's house, where I still live and spend most of my time.

I didn't even realize it was you who originally said there was no other band they could be talking about. It was a general consensus here that it absolutely has to be U2 and anyone who thinks otherwise simply doesn't understand how Australian DJs speak, or something.

I truly hope the band goes to Australia. It's overdue. But perhaps everyone should maybe chill out until there's even a hint of an official word from the band or their management.

Wow, Queen.

Richard "Hottest" Wilkins eh. Finger on the pulse of music.

Even most of the Today Show's demographic wouldn't think of them as the "hottest" anything by now. :lol:

It was a general consensus here that it absolutely has to be U2 and anyone who thinks otherwise simply doesn't understand how Australian DJs speak, or something.

Every comment I saw about Richard Wilkins on here rightly identified him as a flog. The two bits of valuable info were the audience who watches these morning shows (olds), which in turn indicated the announcement would be for an older band popular enough to play arenas or stadiums. When you take out bands in this category that had been here recently or have shows coming up, there weren't many names remaining apart from U2. Nobody in Australia would reasonably expect an overseas arena/stadium act to announce a new tour so soon after their last one.

I can't speak for others, but I've seen enough U2 rumours in my life to never get too excited about anything until it's 100% confirmed, but this is a speculation thread so we've gotta talk about something or :lock:

If Wilkins is describing Queen as one of the "hottest" bands, I really do wonder what hyperbole he will use for U2.

We're probably going to get a reprise of ATYCLB era gibberish about "the biggest band ON THE PLANET".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom