Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a dream last night that the tour had been announced and tickets were on sale straight away. They'd only announced one Sydney show, at the Opera House, and to beat the scalpers they were putting tickets on sale in a staggered process, twenty every minute. Every time I tried to buy one it disappeared.

My dreams are thrilling.

I had a dream last night that the tour had been announced and tickets were on sale straight away. They'd only announced one Sydney show, at the Opera House, and to beat the scalpers they were putting tickets on sale in a staggered process, twenty every minute. Every time I tried to buy one it disappeared.

My dreams are thrilling.

Not authentic unless those twenty tickets per minute are immediately offered as resale tickets

Assuming stadiums , a number of days of rest between shows and taking into account that it's been nearly a decade and they have to give Asia-Oceania their money's worth, here's my best shot:

---------High energy opening with a Lovetown vibe----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Hawkmoon
2) I Will Follow (Out of Control, Electric Co)
3) Vertigo
4) Desire
5) Angel of Harlem (When Love comes to town)
6) All I Want Is You
-----------------------Joshua Tree-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7) Streets
8) Still haven't found
9) Bullet the blue sky
10) Running to standstill
11) One Tree Hill
12) Exit
-----------------------A taste of Innocence and Experience-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
13) Acrobat
14) Who's......wild horses
15) The Ocean/Iris
16) Cedarwood Road
17) The Blackout
18) Red Flag Day
19) Summer of Love
20) Pride
21) New Year's Day (EI 2018 version)
-----------------------------------Encore----------------------------------------------------------------------------
22) Beautiful Day
23) Every Breaking Wave (The Troubles)
24) One
25) Love is bigger
26) Kite (Love Rescue Me/Bad & 40).

This is a little bit JT, a little bit Lovetown, a little bit Innocence and a little bit Experience. With some greatest hits (BD, IWF, NYD, Vertigo, Pride) that let's face it, aren't gonna miss a stadium tour in an underplayed region.

It keeps the show stoppers from JT & EI- Exit and Acrobat and brings back a new rarity for the occasion, Hawkmoon.

To keep with the spirit of Lovetown, they should come up with a "B" setlist that follows the same format of giving a taste of the I&E , JT and LT eras and keeping the must plays- only with some different rotations and played in a different order. Nothing crazy- just somewhere around LT/Vertigo tour rotation..... i.e. a little less static than we've become used to since 360.

Last edited:
I like this set list. However, no way they're opening with Hawkmoon. I reckon they'd stick with Blackout. Would love the segue from AIWIY into Streets. Not sure that Exit and Acrobat work, back-to-back? Doubt we'll hear Red Flag Day again. Summer of Love won't work in a stadium (IMO). Hopefully, we'll get Raised By Wolves, but almost certainly we'll get more of e+i like: Best Thing/GOOYOW.

Announcement imminent - breakfast TV, Monday morning, Australian EDST. "Allegedly".

That is a very naive setlist. I mean it would be amazing but there is zero chance they will play 26 songs including Hawkmoon, Exit, all the good songs from your EI section or Kite. Let alone not play WOWY.

Announcement imminent - breakfast TV, Monday morning, Australian EDST. "Allegedly".

Don't just post this!!! Where's your backup!!!

I'm coming back from a festival on Monday so I'll be pretty cooked and probably in need of the serotonin lift :lol:

1) They played 26 songs on a lot of I&E dates. It's manageable- especially, as I alluded to, in stadiums and with the time between shows that has become standard.

2) Hawkmoon is no more a reach than Ultraviolet or Exit or Acrobat or Two Hearts or 11 O Clock Tick Tock or anything else that has been brought back and/or tried for the first time on recent tours.

3) As I'm sure you are well aware, neither SOI nor SOE produced a hit single. So nothing has to be done out of obligation. Fans aren't gonna flip out if they don't hear the miracle or the best thing. These are the weaker tracks live- so it's not unrealistic to say they'll go with the best ones (blackout, summer of love) -'s the ones that tell the story the best(Iris, Cedarwood).Plus, EBW is probably the best known in innocence song.

4) Every single JT warhorse sat out E&I. WOWY had sat out a lot less than Still Haven't Found over the years. 2 of 3 are getting played obviously- I don't see how WOWY isn't the most likely odd man out here.

5) How is there zero chance they play Kite?! They closed with it down under last time, haven't touched t since then. Plus, they spoke very fondly of it as recently as the time around the SOE release. Also, Walk On is probably out due to developments in Burma so I'd say Kite has as good a chance as anything else.

6) This won't be the exact set list, in fact, I'd give my bank account to someone who ever guessed one prior to a tour announcement, but I don't think it's naive at all. I've followed this band a long time. I lay close attention to how they structure their set lists.

No one knows for sure, but naive would be something like half of POP, all of R&H and a couple JT B Sides topped off with 3 warhorses for good measure......

1) They played 26 songs on a lot of I&E dates. It's manageable- especially, as I alluded to, in stadiums and with the time between shows that has become standard.

2) Hawkmoon is no more a reach than Ultraviolet or Exit or Acrobat or Two Hearts or 11 O Clock Tick Tock or anything else that has been brought back and/or tried for the first time on recent tours.

3) As I'm sure you are well aware, neither SOI nor SOE produced a hit single. So nothing has to be done out of obligation. Fans aren't gonna flip out if they don't hear the miracle or the best thing. These are the weaker tracks live- so it's not unrealistic to say they'll go with the best ones (blackout, summer of love) and the ones that tell the story the best(Iris, Cedarwood).Plus, EBW is probably the best known in innocence song.

4) Every single JT warhorse sat out E&I. WOWY had sat out a lot less than Still Haven't Found over the years. 2 of 3 are getting played obviously- I don't see how WOWY isn't the most likely odd man out here.

5) How is there zero chance they play Kite?! They closed with it down under last time, haven't touched t since then. Plus, they spoke very fondly of it as recently as the time around the SOE release. Also, Walk On is probably out due to developments in Burma so I'd say Kite has as good a chance as anything else.

6) This won't be the exact set list, in fact, I'd give my bank account to someone who ever guessed one prior to a tour announcement, but I don't think it's naive at all. I've followed this band a long time. I pay close attention to how they structure their set lists.

No one knows for sure, but naive would be something like half of POP, all of R&H and a couple JT B Sides topped off with 3 warhorses for good measure......

Last edited:
, but I don't think it's naive at all.....

What's naïve is thinking that none of The Best Thing, American Soul or Get Out will be in the set list. Chances are 10,000x more that all 3 are in the set every night than none of them. You can probably count on 2 of them.

I could see Best Thing and Get Out being played every show, but wouldn't surprise me in the least if they don't touch American Soul.

I could see Best Thing and Get Out being played every show, but wouldn't surprise me in the least if they don't touch American Soul.

Yep, why I said you can probably count on 2 of them. They dropped AS in Europe (as they should have) and likely will do same in Oz, but you never know after they get a few Foster's in them.

For our Foster's-drinking (i.e. non-Aussie) friends, Richard Wilkins has less credibility than Bono describing an upcoming U2 album.

As far as “world’s hottest bands”, they mostly mean old bands. Kiss already announced their Australia tour. Metallica also. Stones definitely won’t be. Not Bon Jovi, not Eagles, not Bruce, not Coldplay. Muse might come to Australia at the end of the year, but they don’t fit the description. There’s really nobody else it could be.

As far as “world’s hottest bands”, they mostly mean old bands. Kiss already announced their Australia tour. Metallica also. Stones definitely won’t be. Not Bon Jovi, not Eagles, not Bruce, not Coldplay. Muse might come to Australia at the end of the year, but they don’t fit the description. There’s really nobody else it could be.
That makes zero sense.

are there any "young" bands out there that could even be described as "world's hottest"? individual artists, sure, but not actual bands. the chainsmokers maybe? out of this generation i can't think of a single band that would fit a description like that. this could just be yet another sign of me getting old though.

are there any "young" bands out there that could even be described as "world's hottest"? individual artists, sure, but not actual bands. the chainsmokers maybe? out of this generation i can't think of a single band that would fit a description like that. this could just be yet another sign of me getting old though.

I don't know, maybe Twenty-one Pilots?

Or maybe its Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Hot.

That makes zero sense.

Actually it does, because there are no hot BANDS touring right now that are young, that would be coming to Australia. Lots of young artists like Ed, Bruno, Taylor etc come to Australia, but not bands. Like somebody said 21 Pilots are about the only non-old “hottest” band that might make it down this year. Muse might come there, but they aren’t exactly HOTTEST material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom