Seeing U2 play in Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariorivas

The Fly
Hello, fellow fans!

With the strong possibility of U2 touring next year, my wife and I want to try and see them play in Europe, preferably Ireland. Can anyone share any helpful tips or experiences of traveling abroad to see the band?

In the past I've seen companies offering travel packages that include concert tickets. Anyone have experience with them?

Mario

It may be helpful to splurge for a U2.com subscription now. You'd likely get useful presale access.

I've never used a travel package company, but seeing U2 in Europe is not much different logistically than seeing U2 in the US.

I bought presale tix thru U2.com, got them them in the mail, booked a flight, then a hotel in Paris and took the Metro to Stade de France.

I was most worried about getting "legit" tickets, so U2.com offered the "safest" and easiest way. Navigating the French ticket site with my presale code was probably the hardest part and it was pretty easy.

Well worth it!

I don't think we have any package deals here. You just need to get tickets.

Smart idea: For each gig you can get tickets to(if you've presale codes, even better!), get the maximum amount(usually 4). Then trade those with other fans to the other shows you want to see. That way you're assured of getting the tickets for the shows you want, without having to go through all the sales processes.

oh and, wise advice, don't go to Paris. Just. Don't.

As an Australian fan looking to perhaps head to Ireland for a show, I too am wondering just how hard it would be to get a ticket.

Amsterdam is a good place to go for U2 shows, am I right?

Yep. As is any other city in the Netherlands. :)

As an Australian fan looking to perhaps head to Ireland for a show, I too am wondering just how hard it would be to get a ticket.

Tickets for Ireland will probably be hard to get. Many people want to see them there. And Ireland doesn't have really big indoor venues, so that would also limit supply, should U2 decide to tour indoor venues.

U2 doing indoor venues in Europe sounds like it could be a logistical mess.

London and Paris are not the best choices....

Amsterdam, Nice, Portugal, Spain..... maybe Italy. Ireland of course. That's where it will "move" the most. If you want an easy access to the golden circle, come to Switzerland, we're all sleeping :lol:

be prepared for anarchic/non-existent queuing in some places - it was survival of the fittest in Paris last time LOL :D

Where is the problem?
The best way to see a show in Ireland, maybe next year, will be to get presale tix about a U2.com membership and then to organize flights and hotels by yourself. It depends a little bit time, but it`s worth. Many people discuss about indoor shows in Europe next year and in this case, it`ll be the same problem to get tickets here than in the U.S. If you have a presale code and U2 have decided to play in Ireland, be early on the pc and pick the tix for the show.
U2.com has a limited number of tix to sell. Helpfull could be to read in u2 forums about confirming the dates and you`ll be save money for booking your hotel. I can remember, London hotel fares were rising immediately after confirming the tour dates during 360°.
Good luck

I live in England so I've only ever seen U2 here,that was up until the 360 tour when me and my wife went to Dublin to see them.

What an experience it was. I got the tickets with my pre sale code, which has to be the best way. Booked the flights and hotel after I got the tickets. Literally straight after,the longer you leave it the more expensive it will become.

We had tickets for the Saturday gig and flew in on the Friday,went home on the Sunday.

Dublin was brilliant and it was U2 mania. everyone in Dublin seemed to be going to the gigs and there were people from all over the world there. Every shop / bar etc etc were playing U2 or had U2 themes. It was like a tribal meeting of U2 fans

It really was the best trip I've been on, we'll worth it.

I really cannot see U2 playing arenas in Europe the demands to high. It will be stadiums I'm almost sure of it!

London and Paris are not the best choices....

Amsterdam, Nice, Portugal, Spain..... maybe Italy. Ireland of course. That's where it will "move" the most. If you want an easy access to the golden circle, come to Switzerland, we're all sleeping :lol:

London may not the best choice for a U2 concert experience but if your after a short break with a U2 concert thrown in for good measure, what better city to go to then London. Not many better city's in the world then London!

it's not necessarily the first place people would think to go when doing a U2 trip, but if you don't end up in Ireland as planned, I'd definitely recommend Cardiff if U2 play there this time round.

When I saw them there at the millenium stadium (vertigo+360) it was phenomenal both times, even from the middle section up in the stands. really great crowd - I think Bono even said during the 360 gig that they had to end that leg of the tour in Cardiff after the reception they got there during the Vertigo tour or something similar.

now i've said that, watch them play there on the next tour and fuck it up in front of a lukewarm crowd. but seriously, if Dublin/London don't work out and they're playing in Cardiff, definitely go there. I seem to remember someone saying in an older thread that Dublin is a pretty bad gig anyway simply for the "U2 tourists" or whatever too if that's of any use :wink:

Thanks for all the great tips, guys! I'll renew my U2.com subscription and start planning from there. I know my wife would love to go to London, and I have a soft spot for Italy ;)

London may not the best choice for a U2 concert experience but if your after a short break with a U2 concert thrown in for good measure, what better city to go to then London. Not many better city's in the world then London!

You re totally right! London is one the best city in the world for sure. I was just talking about the U2 experience. Went to see them in 2009 and was very disappointed about the stadium sound. 90'000 people is a lot. I prefer smaller stadiums with 45-50'000 people.
But the city London is WOW!!!

it's not necessarily the first place people would think to go when doing a U2 trip, but if you don't end up in Ireland as planned, I'd definitely recommend Cardiff if U2 play there this time round.

When I saw them there at the millenium stadium (vertigo+360) it was phenomenal both times, even from the middle section up in the stands. really great crowd - I think Bono even said during the 360 gig that they had to end that leg of the tour in Cardiff after the reception they got there during the Vertigo tour or something similar.

now i've said that, watch them play there on the next tour and fuck it up in front of a lukewarm crowd. but seriously, if Dublin/London don't work out and they're playing in Cardiff, definitely go there. I seem to remember someone saying in an older thread that Dublin is a pretty bad gig anyway simply for the "U2 tourists" or whatever too if that's of any use :wink:

Totally agree with you there. I did Dublin,London and Cardiff on the 360 tour. For Dublin I was just outside the circle , London in the stands and Cardiff ,me and my mates were in the circle.

The gig was Superb I thought. My heart always says Dublin was better because of the whole experience and that but because I was in the circle with a great bunch of people my brain always says Cardiff was better.

Judging from Youtube vids - I know that's not the same experience as being over there - Cardiff seemed to be an amazing show.

don't need package deals- get tickets from u2.com and then do it yourself for the rest

we had u2.com memberships for 360 tour and had no trouble getting what we wanted across the 11 shows we went to in 09/10

Dublin is great to see U2- if you wnat gold circle you can get there at 5pm and still get in (locals don't get there early!).

The crowd in Bareclona were amazing- we were in the seats and everyone was jumping up and down through the support act and it was wild for U2

Cardiff is fine as long as you stay there- getting in and out otherwise is an utter nightmare.

I don't think we have any package deals here. You just need to get tickets.

Smart idea: For each gig you can get tickets to(if you've presale codes, even better!), get the maximum amount(usually 4). Then trade those with other fans to the other shows you want to see. That way you're assured of getting the tickets for the shows you want, without having to go through all the sales processes.

oh and, wise advice, don't go to Paris. Just. Don't.

... or just get tickets to shows you want to go to, thus making it easier for people who actually want to attend the show.

Which is exactly what you do with my way. Since it's rather impossible to get through all the presales, this is FAR easier. And you're trading with someone who wants to go, so what is your problem? :shrug:

Here's my story: Lifelong Alabama resident (as in backwoods USA), although pretty well travelled within the lower 48. Also a U2 fan since the age of 12 (mid-80's.)

I had always dreamed of seeing a U2 show in Dublin, but never gave it serious thought. Then, the 360 tour dates were released and there it was: Dublin, July 24 - my wife's birthday! Shortly thereafter, a second date was planned: July 25 - MY BIRTHDAY!! I saw this, indisputably, as a sign from GOD HIMSELF that we were to be in Dublin for those shows!

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but we got 4 tickets to one show thru the U2.com pre-sale and traded tickets with an Interference member to get into both shows (we didn't get to stay for the 3rd show.)

I booked my own flights and hotel (just as easy as doing it in the States) over the internet. We stayed in Dublin about 6 days, and planned our own sight-seeing excursions from our hotel. Most days we hoofed the city on foot (and felt perfectly safe), although I will say that one young lady we met from Boston who had been to Dublin before said that she didn't understand where all the junkies and beggars had gone.

I would estimate that there were about as many international fans in attendance as there were locals - at least in terms of the early queueing for the GA circle. Lots of Americans, some from the South America's and many other Europeans. Dublin definitely acknowledged the tourism prescence and rolled out the red carpet to bring in those foreign $$.

It was an unforgettable event. I can't recall a single unpleasant moment. However, not being one who flies around the world very often, I'm not sure I will ever go back. If I had it to do over I would certainly do it again, and also recommend it to anyone who hasn't been, BUT if I find the time and money to make another trip, it would probably be to London, Paris, etc. this time around.

# Oh, and, Yes, today is my birthday! I was in Dublin exactly 4 years ago today. *sigh* Where do the years go?? #

Here's my story: Lifelong Alabama resident (as in backwoods USA), although pretty well travelled within the lower 48. Also a U2 fan since the age of 12 (mid-80's.)

I had always dreamed of seeing a U2 show in Dublin, but never gave it serious thought. Then, the 360 tour dates were released and there it was: Dublin, July 24 - my wife's birthday! Shortly thereafter, a second date was planned: July 25 - MY BIRTHDAY!! I saw this, indisputably, as a sign from GOD HIMSELF that we were to be in Dublin for those shows!

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but we got 4 tickets to one show thru the U2.com pre-sale and traded tickets with an Interference member to get into both shows (we didn't get to stay for the 3rd show.)

I booked my own flights and hotel (just as easy as doing it in the States) over the internet. We stayed in Dublin about 6 days, and planned our own sight-seeing excursions from our hotel. Most days we hoofed the city on foot (and felt perfectly safe), although I will say that one young lady we met from Boston who had been to Dublin before said that she didn't understand where all the junkies and beggars had gone.

I would estimate that there were about as many international fans in attendance as there were locals - at least in terms of the early queueing for the GA circle. Lots of Americans, some from the South America's and many other Europeans. Dublin definitely acknowledged the tourism prescence and rolled out the red carpet to bring in those foreign $$.

It was an unforgettable event. I can't recall a single unpleasant moment. However, not being one who flies around the world very often, I'm not sure I will ever go back. If I had it to do over I would certainly do it again, and also recommend it to anyone who hasn't been, BUT if I find the time and money to make another trip, it would probably be to London, Paris, etc. this time around.

# Oh, and, Yes, today is my birthday! I was in Dublin exactly 4 years ago today. *sigh* Where do the years go?? #

Nice story... and happy birthday!

no Amsterdam for me, only if they come to Ziggo Dome.
the sound in the ArenA is terrible...
but London,Paris and Germany is standard from....hopefully also the States again.

:shrug: Haven't had any issues with the sound quality since 2009 in the A'dam ArenA.
On the floor it's alright but on the stands wow...I never had much problems with the ArenA (1day floor 1 day stands) until I sat on the stands in Gelchenkirchen 360t on the exact same position as I did in the ArenA and I finally heard just how crap the ArenA sound is. Edge's Guitar gets really really muffled in the Arena whereas in Germany it was very pure and loud.
But yeah if you really wanna hear Bad I suggest Amsterdam, me and my friends always buy tickets for both (or all 3) dates there just to hear Bad, payed off on the 360tour :D (Although we were totally burned from laying in the sun for hours to get into inner circle with a temp of 30C+ and having almost no water. Could barely stand lol)

Back
Top Bottom