Say something negative about Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sad Punk said:
Every song is about oral sex

That's a negative? :wink:

How about: I can't look forward to this being the new U2 album.

I don't care much for the opening trio of songs in general...I'd rather just get past them to the rest of the album.

to me it doesn't have much of a flow
thematically it's a bit all over the place (while it is fun to try to relate every song U2 has ever released to Edge' s divorce)
you can tell some of the songs share the same origin because of just about the same guitar riff popping up 3 times
Even better .... is one of my least favourite U2 singles ever

^I dunno, I think it's easy and very reasonable to relate many Achtung songs to Edge's divorce. Listening to the Kindergarten versions, it's clear that much of the bite, despair, animosity, lovesickness, etc., that made the final album wasn't there in the early stages. As time went on, many of the tracks had absorbed notions of loss and betrayal. Hard to say its a coincidence.

As for themes, even though I know it wasn't really U2's intent, I sometimes like tinkering with the Flanagan book's suggestion of an everyman's journey into the hedonistic Nighttown and all of the experiences and moral conflicts that ensue.

1. So Cruel is too long and monotonous.
2. The mixing can at times feel really...dull. Especially on songs like EBTTRT that are supposed to be a rock song but instead sounds really weak and pale because of the mixing.
3. One has one too many verses. :shifty:

It's all I can come up with. It's mostly minor stuff as you can see, so it proves that it's still an excellent album. :up:

MW is the third most overrated U2 song of all time (BD and Vertigo being the top two). But that's not really a fault of the song obviously, just how the public have elevated it to a summit it doesn't deserve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrch66gdjjk

I really dislike the EBTTRT video clip. It looks somewhat cheap and cheesy within an otherwise visually coherent Achtung Baby "event". The Lounge Fly Intro to The Fly looks cheesy as well (while the "proper" clip looks great).
I somewhat agree. The hands at the beginning seem creepy and cheesy, as well as the bar setting. But the 360° camera rig is freaking awesome.

I somewhat agree. The hands at the beginning seem creepy and cheesy, as well as the bar setting. But the 360° camera rig is freaking awesome.

Well, the effect itself might be cool. But not the lighting, the acting, the feeling. The director seems to have been satisfied with the effect itself. And you are right: The hands and the bar setting are the low-points. Exactly the scenes without the 360° camera.

Nothing negative about this album. To me, best album U2 has put out in their 30+ year career. Happy Birthday, Achtung Baby!

It was released when I was only 3, denying me the privilege of experiencing it to the fullest extent.

Achtung Baby is the closest thing to a perfect album that I've ever heard. I don't think I'd change anything about it.

Achtung Baby is the closest thing to a perfect album that I've ever heard. I don't think I'd change anything about it.

There really isn't a bad song on AB, is there? It's pretty damn close to being a perfect album. I won't call it my favourite (it's #3 for me), but I'll concede it's certainly their most important, complete and accomplished masterpiece.

Something negative: The reissue, in all its various editions, is by and large a disappointment considering how much it costs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrch66gdjjk

I really dislike the EBTTRT video clip. It looks somewhat cheap and cheesy within an otherwise visually coherent Achtung Baby "event". The Lounge Fly Intro to The Fly looks cheesy as well (while the "proper" clip looks great).

Believe me it didn't look cheap or cheesey back in 1992, it was cutting edge stuff. Maybe it seems that way because the style has been copied so often and technology has advanced so much.

The male lion is quite possibly the coolest motherfucker on the planet. He is gorgeous to behold, has a roar that will rattle your soul, huge paws, a big tail, and a flowing mane that basically says "look at me, im the shit".

He can sleep for hours on end, and then several more, just because he can. He doesn't do a damn thing he doesn't want to do. He is the king of his kingdom, the ruler of his pride. He commands respect from his harem of lionesses and little cubs who want to grow up and be just like him.

When he is hungry, he waits for dinner to be "prepared". The lionesses will go and catch a fresh kill, for which he will be the first to eat. Don't fuck with him or make him roar! When he's not busy eating or sleeping, he might be horny. All he has to do is bite the lioness on the back of the neck and she knows what time it is.

The male lion is truly king of beasts. An awesome and amazing spectacle and anomaly if there ever was one. You could gaze upon him for hours or days and he could care less. He is better than you and you know it.

Achtung Baby is the musical equivalent of the African male lion. Absolute perfection from start to finish...bar none. Everything else falls short.

Something negative about AB?

The Edge admitted that the entire band were going to do the same shot Adam did for the cover. And they chickened out. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom