Say something negative about Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't see a need to say anything negative about this album (note: the videos do not equate "the album"). It's as good as anything they've ever done. Every single song is a winner, the production is near-perfect, the running order is fine, the record shows their musicianship (esp. Edge) at its highest, it was a huge hit, and it completely saved their career from falling over the edge of 80s-Dinosaur-ism. In short, there is nothing negative to say.

From Q magazine, dec 2011.

Q: More seriously, would Adam have appeared naked on the sleeve artwork had he been hung like a budgie?
Edge: Ha ha! I don't think so. We all got close to doing it, but I think we realised it was going to be the butt of too many jokes. Mystery - it's very important.

:tsk: Wussies.

And yeah, I would link if I had found the online article. But instead I have the actual magazine here. I can provide a screenshot if needed though. :wink:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/q-magazine-december-2011-a-212660.html
Page 57. :wink:

When I saw this thread I knew immediately that no one would give a serious answer to this question, so I won't give a serious answer, too, because it's a waste of time and energy. Achtung Baby is the second coming.

It's not, it has flaws, and I can make a list of them, but I won't.

Flaws aside, ONE is my favourite song of anyone ever. I guess that kind of outweighs what I don't like about the album.

Some of the lyrics in Who's Gonna Ride are lamesauce.
I know what you mean ("Baby, can we still be friends?", etc.) but nowadays I find it hard to tell what lyrics on this album are 'serious, man', and which are tongue-in-cheek. For example, "Ultraviolet" has those beautiful images of "there is a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep", etc., but then has the one of the cheesiest metaphors ever: "Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed". Yuck! So, what we end up with is a bunch of interesting lyrics about love, marriage, and life, some of which are cheese on a stick, and some of which are poetic and poignant, and the enjoyment of the whole Achtung Baby ethos if that the truth lies somewhere in between. I believe this is also called being "playful".

So Cruel is the sound of a man dealing with a breaking heart over six minutes. It's not long enough!

There really isn't a bad song on AB, is there? It's pretty damn close to being a perfect album. I won't call it my favourite (it's #3 for me), but I'll concede it's certainly their most important, complete and accomplished masterpiece.

Something negative: The reissue, in all its various editions, is by and large a disappointment considering how much it costs.

What are your top five?

The super deluxe is extremely good for the $150 I paid :shrug:

When I saw this thread I knew immediately that no one would give a serious answer to this question, so I won't give a serious answer, too, because it's a waste of time and energy. Achtung Baby is the second coming.

It's not, it has flaws, and I can make a list of them, but I won't.

No one else has been snarky, was there really a need for that? There's plenty of people here who have something negative to say.

I'll have to use a bat signal

96%20tram.jpg

...... I got nothin.

1 of 2 albums that I personally take no issue with. The 2nd is Tom Petty's Wildflowers. Both albums, though very different from one another, are the 2 reasons I was tempted to pick up a guitar for the first time, and thus changed my life.

-I think they should have had the track listing on the album as it was on ZooTV:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One
Until The End of the World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

-Get rid of the first two and a half minutes of So Cruel.
-I wish the Love Is Blindness solo sounded as gritty and raw as it does live.

Man, what's with all the So Cruel hate in this thread?? :scratch: it's one of the most lyrically hard-hitting tracks on the album.

Imho ... WGRYWH, SC, and TTTYAATW are quite frankly lame, MOR fare that don't live up to the ground shaking revolution the band performed on their image with the other songs. Still doesn't stop me from loving this album and regarding it as a landmark in Rock/Pop history. Easily one of the top ten albums of the 90's and possibly of all time, with 'One' already a 'standard' (for better or worse) that will likely live alongside Elvis, Dylan, Cole Porter, Lennon & Mcartney et al until well into the next century.

... But I just don't get the love for those 3 songs. I get what they're about but I just don't like the dull way they do it.

So Cruel and Tryin' both have trip-hop beats that were not exactly common in rock music at pretty ahead of AB's time. The drums on the former have a very otherworldly, watery sound that's unlike anything I'd heard from Larry before. And then Tryin' has that drunk quality that echoes the concept of the song, with those woozy little guitar fills from Edge.

Wild Horses may be the poppiest song on the album, but the beginning with the violin in one speaker and the distorted guitar in the other is a damned cool idea and hints at something a lot darker than the lyrics would imply. And the erratic beat/time signature isn't exactly standard rock.

So Cruel and Tryin' both have trip-hop beats that were not exactly common in rock music at pretty ahead of AB's time. The drums on the former have a very otherworldly, watery sound that's unlike anything I'd heard from Larry before. And then Tryin' has that drunk quality that echoes the concept of the song, with those woozy little guitar fills from Edge.

Wild Horses may be the poppiest song on the album, but the beginning with the violin in one speaker and the distorted guitar in the other is a damned cool idea and hints at something a lot darker than the lyrics would imply. And the erratic beat/time signature isn't exactly standard rock.
Totally agree. I'm amazed that people are dissing 'So Cruel' and 'Trying to Throw...', but to each their own I guess. For me, those are of the LP's most essential songs. I wouldn't change a note of either.

I can sort of understand why 'Who's Gonna Ride' rubs some people the wrong way (I personally love it), as it is maybe the one song on the album that sounds a bit dated, with a chorus that could have been on Rattle & Hum, and a vibe that seems slightly out of place with the rest of the record. But there is no denying that beautiful bridge ("To a place where the wind calls your name", etc.), which just makes the song.

The Joshua Tree is a better album. AB is overrated in some circles.

AB can keep the title of the "reinvention" record, while JT remains the essential U2 album.

There's not really much to criticize cuz I also consider it their masterpiece, but if I had to I'd say: I barely listen to So Cruel and never understood the big Acrobat hype. I skip both most of the time.

Again, not saying I dislike the songs because I find myself listening to them every other rotation, but usually they are not my cup of tea.

The Joshua Tree is a better album. AB is overrated in some circles.

AB can keep the title of the "reinvention" record, while JT remains the essential U2 album.

Did everybody get that?

Case closed people!

Back
Top Bottom