Save the Yuppies San Fran concert Nov 87

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
We all know how the Streets video shoot ended in downtown LA, with the city police worried about too many people turning up, and it was eventually shut down.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the story of how the San Fran Save the Yuppies show was organized? Did u2 have the cities permission for this one? It seemed to have just as many people at it, but was allowed to continue. Thought maybe there was a story floating around out there about this.

This was, according to the Rattle and Hum wikipedia page, a spur of the moment, U2 decision to do a free concert. They probably did not have a formal permit as someone in City Hall is always an asshole and leaks out to the media in advance, blowing the spontaneous effect. However, given what happened in LA, I would not be surprised if U2 called up the Police Commissioner or the Mayor's office a few hours prior and asked where a good place would be to not impede traffic/daily life in the city.

Justin Hermann Plaza is a sizable area where people can gather, not at all like the LA neighborhood blocks surrounding the liquor store. That could have been part of why they let it go. Bono did, however, get a substantial fine for spray painting "rock and roll stops the traffic" on an elevated highway support beam that looked like it would collapse any day regardless. Oh well, if a fine is good for the local punk on a skateboard, its good for Bono, I guess!

On the same note, a great, great show. Very high energy, they were kicking ass that week(Denver R&H footage the same week).

Color bootleg footage from that show is on youtube. It's interesting to see if you've only seen the Rattle and Hum footage of it.

Bono did, however, get a substantial fine for spray painting "rock and roll stops the traffic" on an elevated highway support beam that looked like it would collapse any day regardless. Oh well, if a fine is good for the local punk on a skateboard, its good for Bono, I guess!

Actually, I think it was an artistic fountain that Bono painted. The artist later said he didn't mind the "addition", but the city did fine Bono. I also heard that Bono's father wasn't very happy about the "vandalism" either.

This concert is also famous for the "SF heart U2" - which was for San Francisco loves U2. Bono never made the San Fran. connection and thought it stood for Sinn Fein. Poor fan makes this sign and gets lectured! Years later, Bono lectures a fan for having his cell phone out and talking at a concert, when in fact, he forgot that (1) cell phones take pictures/video and (2) he later asks fans to take out and hold up their cell phones! LOL! All of this is proof that Bono sometimes does get too caught up in the song and forgets a bit about reality. Those evil geniuses. :lol:

EDIT:

I did a bit of a search here and found that Interference has talked about this before. I know, we almost never repeat ourselves here, but thought I'd mention it. :wink:

One thing about that San Fran free concert -- Bono's voice was really on. He sounds frickin' awesome, vocally, at that one.

Maybe he should never get paid?

(His 'Silver & Gold' lecture, mind you, was embarrassingly bad... which he admits, at the end of it.)

The Sinn Fein rant is really really embarassing. Funny too because they say the concert was all about wanting to lighten things up. Sometimes Bono can't help himself.

True. But you have to keep in mind that the Enniskillen bombing (the tragic event that made Bono do his 'Fuck the revolution' speech during SBS, as documented in Rattle And Hum) happened less then one week before this concert.
So his brain probably wasn't wired correctly to make the connection between SF and San Francisco. :)

yeah, that whole "SF heart U2" incident makes me want to bring a sign to a show that says "Contribute To IRA" just to see if Bono takes it the wrong way. :wink:

The Sinn Fein rant is really really embarassing. Funny too because they say the concert was all about wanting to lighten things up. Sometimes Bono can't help himself.

Haha. It looked like Larry and Adam were kind of surprised by the whole rant and wanted to say something but just couldn't. Larry kind of had that look of "this is one of those .01% of times I need to step up and rein Bono in."

Edge of course kept his head down and focused on playing as always.

On another note, that was a spectacular performance of SBS.

Actually, I think it was an artistic fountain that Bono painted. The artist later said he didn't mind the "addition", but the city did fine Bono.

My bad. Thanks for the correction! Always informative, doctorwho, regardless of the situation!

Back
Top Bottom