Running to Stand Still

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
I have no idea why, but it took me forever to get into this song. Then it hits me like a train, what a fucking great song it is. Any version is awesome, but that ZooTV version with a segue into Streets is nothing short of epic. It's a shame that it got no outings on 360°. The lyrics are just wonderful, and the melody is perfect for the song.

That is all.

U2 - Running to stand still - Where the Streets have no name ZooTV Sydney - YouTube

Every time I heard the piano of Miss Sarajevo start up, I was hoping, praying, that they'd do Running to Stand Still instead.

RTSS/Streets from ZooTV is the pinnacle of U2, in my opinion.

Among my personal top 5 for sure. Quite possibly their single greatest achievement.

I love the ZooTV version. The harmonica at the end gives me chills whenever I watch it.

cobl04 said:
RTSS/Streets from ZooTV is the pinnacle of U2, in my opinion.

I agree, I remember being in high school and seeing this from 6th row in the Astrodome, it's a moment that I will never forget. To me this moment really captures and defines u2, it's everything people love and hate about U2.

The Lovetown versions are phenomenal too. That Dirty Old Town snippet was amazing and on some versions you can hear the crowd singing every word of the song.

BVS said:
I agree, I remember being in high school and seeing this from 6th row in the Astrodome, it's a moment that I will never forget. To me this moment really captures and defines u2, it's everything people love and hate about U2.

What I wouldn't give to go back in time and see it for myself...

I'm not religious, but the hallelujahs at the end of the ZooTV version really make me happy. Such an incredible ending to an incredible song.

I'm not religious, but the hallelujahs at the end of the ZooTV version really make me happy. Such an incredible ending to an incredible song.

Totally with you on this. And it works because we know how much Bono's faith means to him.

Here's hoping that when they do more "b-sides and rarities", as Bono said, they play this one a lot next tour. Maybe bring back the Zoo TV version with Edge on guitar.

The Zoo TV version is amazing for all the reasons mentioned but also that incredible guitar sound that Edge uses to replace the piano. That sound says a lot about his guitar playing. Nobody else can conjure up something that sounds like that. It is almost not even guitar playing as we know it. But wow it just suits the song and the setting on stage so well. Someone said its their peak. Could be right.

AndrewCowley said:
Nobody else can conjure up something that sounds like that. It is almost not even guitar playing as we know it.

While his sound for that song is no doubt beautiful, I think it's quite a stretch to say it's "not even guitar playing as we know it." Beautiful tone? Sure. But it's hardly some out there sound never imagined before. If anything, it's a prime example of Edge's mastery of restraint rather than one of his great sonic innovations.

Also keep in mind that a huge part of the guitar sound for ZooTV RTSS is the "shimmer", that otherworldly sound you hear behind the main guitar tone. This comes from his effects rig but its not exactly a sound that's easy to dial in and get right. Takes a creative and technically inclinded mind. As for the playing itself, it's Edge's minimalistic style at its finest.

One of their best, for sure. I like both the JT-era piano version and the more bombastic Zoo TV-version about equally, depends on which mood I'm in. The transition from RTSS to Streets is monumental, it's really the only worthy opponent to the fantastic AIWIY/Streets-transition from Slane Castle. :love:

Most guitar players would just strum the chords, or pick through the chords if they're feeling frisky. Edge came up with an entirely new part. Most guitarists are just not as innovative as he is. Sad but true.

One of their best, for sure. I like both the JT-era piano version and the more bombastic Zoo TV-version about equally, depends on which mood I'm in. The transition from RTSS to Streets is monumental, it's really the only worthy opponent to the fantastic AIWIY/Streets-transition from Slane Castle. :love:
I'd say Please-Streets is equally brilliant.

But then again, I've never understood all the love for the Slane Castle show. Such a boring setlist.

I've never understood all the love for the Slane Castle show. Such a boring setlist.

Well, people love it because it's full out flat out fu**ing amazing performances. You don't listen to the setlist, you listen to the music. And the performances at that show are among the best of any of U2's commercial releases. And very reflective of the stellar Elevation shows I saw.

Which of these songs is "boring"?

"Elevation"
"Beautiful Day"
"Until the End of the World"
"New Year's Day"
"Out of Control"
"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
"Wake Up Dead Man"
"Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
"Kite"
"Angel of Harlem"
"Desire"
"Staring at the Sun"
"All I Want Is You"
"Where the Streets Have No Name"
"Mysterious Ways"
"Pride (In the Name of Love)"
"Bullet the Blue Sky"
"With or Without You"
"One"
"Walk On"

Some preformances, like Kite and Streets are certainly amazing. But I remember Sunday Bloody Sunday being almost painful to watch because of how slow it was.

Back
Top Bottom