Rumor: U2, Madonna, and AC/DC to perform at Grammys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a serious note--FYI, my introduction to SOI was watching EBW acoustic at the Bambi's on YouTube. I was one of the people who stuck to nostalgia and wanted to first hear the album in a physical capacity, not from a phone. And then when the tix went onsale I made a vow not to listen to any of it until I knew I'd be going to at least 1 show...I still have not heard most of the album, I'm saving that for some quiet time after the holidays.

And let me tell you...coming from a complete SOI newbie....I may as well have been a casual fan. Hadn't heard any versions previous from 360 or online, even though I knew they were floating out there. I came to it stone cold.

I watched the band perform this glorious piece of music on a mere computer screen, and it gave me chills and utterly broke my heart. Right on the very first listen, it struck me with amazing force. Haven't felt this way about any U2 music in years. Imagine discovering it that way. I know a lot of you have been following the evolution of this song as it has developed since the early 360 live incarnations, but try to appreciate it from someone new. Just. Freaking. Broke. My. Heart. I still can't even properly describe what this song continues to do to me weeks later, and I remember what I felt hearing WOWY for the first time in 87....floating down from a 2nd-story dorm window.

If you go?
If you go your way and I go mine
Are we so?
Are we so helpless against the tide?

God in heaven, I just...can't..friggin'...get that *out of my head*, and I don't care about the Adele comparisons (I'm a big Adele fan too, BTW)....a great song is a great song, and this, like Springsteen's "Land of Hope and Dreams" (another recent live masterpeice) is timeless, classic, universal. All Bono would have to do is stand there and nail that last chorus over the string section, and mission accomplished...

I'd like to get my hopes up, but am playing it cautious and thinking it prob won't happen. Who knows.

On a serious note--FYI, my introduction to SOI was watching EBW acoustic at the Bambi's on YouTube. I was one of the people who stuck to nostalgia and wanted to first hear the album in a physical capacity, not from a phone. And then when the tix went onsale I made a vow not to listen to any of it until I knew I'd be going to at least 1 show...I still have not heard most of the album, I'm saving that for some quiet time after the holidays.

And let me tell you...coming from a complete SOI newbie....I may as well have been a casual fan. Hadn't heard any versions previous from 360 or online, even though I knew they were floating out there. I came to it stone cold.

I watched the band perform this glorious piece of music on a mere computer screen, and it gave me chills and utterly broke my heart. Right on the very first listen, it struck me with amazing force. Haven't felt this way about any U2 music in years. Imagine discovering it that way. I know a lot of you have been following the evolution of this song as it has developed since the early 360 live incarnations, but try to appreciate it from someone new. Just. Freaking. Broke. My. Heart. I still can't even properly describe what this song continues to do to me weeks later, and I remember what I felt hearing WOWY for the first time in 87....floating down from a 2nd-story dorm window.

If you go?
If you go your way and I go mine
Are we so?
Are we so helpless against the tide?

God in heaven, I just...can't..friggin'...get that *out of my head*, and I don't care about the Adele comparisons (I'm a big Adele fan too, BTW)....a great song is a great song, and this, like Springsteen's "Land of Hope and Dreams" (another recent live masterpeice) is timeless, classic, universal. All Bono would have to do is stand there and nail that last chorus over the string section, and mission accomplished...

I'd like to get my hopes up, but am playing it cautious and thinking it prob won't happen. Who knows.

Well, now you need to listen to the album and let us know what your think! I can't believe you made it this long.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Bono was foreshadowing his own coma with the song Sleep Like A Baby Tonight. What a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Guys Bono is on like 8 different pain killers right now. He won't be back on stage until 2019. Just in time for Songs of Experience

That combined with the effects of the anesthesia still wearing off too.

:love:

But seriously, acoustic EBW seems the only realistic option.. they're not going to do much outside the box anyway, and with Bono still in coma... there's not many options there.

Well he looked alot healthier than i expected in these recent pictures so maybe they'll do Grammys. Thought he'd be still way worse of.

No worries, CK, I didn't think it was rude at all. It's all good. You're just wondering how any living soul could have avoided listening this long...

I will admit to something rude though...not (re) introducing myself in the Babyface Café. I'm one of those people who took a long haitus between 2011 or so, until the U2 Machine got cranking up again. Over the wknd, when I have more time to post, I'll head over there and give you folks a proper introduction. Then you'll understand my eccentricities a bit better (such as the essay-length post, I'm coming to realize that's not good form here, so I'll try to tone it down). And maybe go easier on me? I feel that ever since I've walked in here I've been like a football, just waiting to be kicked....

Well, I'll share one little tidbit in advance, though it's totally OT. I hope you folks won't mind. Let me just say that my (hopefully first) 2015 show at MSG will be a bittersweet "sort of homecoming" for me. I haven't been in the place since Oct 7 or 8, 2005...my last Vertigo show. And that's b/c less than 3 weeks after that show, my mother committed suicide. U2 had been the soundtrack of my life for over 20 yrs already by that point, their music had helped me get by many rough points in my life, as well as the good times. But after this, for the first time, I found it next to impossible to listen to any U2. It just went too deep. The fact that I'd realized a life's dream of finally meeting Bono and Larry after that show, didn't help....when NLOTH came out I listened to it, was less than impressed, and went to only 1 show (the first night at Giants Stadium in Sept 2009.) And...well, already this is running on too long. Have to go, before I sabotage another great thread. You'll understand better after I introduce myself....

Have a great New Year's, everyone, and "I will be with you again....":)

I suspect that if they play it will be EBW (partial or full accoustic) or a medley with EBW acoustic and full band California (the Grammy's will be held in LA at the Staples Center)

Was reading Bono's letter and i think we can assume that they won't be at the Grammys

The consequences of this freak accident are significant enough that I will have to concentrate hard to be ready for the U2 tour in fitness terms… as a result I have cancelled every public appearance and decided this missive is all the communication I can manage for the first half of 2015, beyond muttering and singing to myself of course.

Maybe they'll win the Grammy based on sympathy?? The trending article in the press right now is that "Bono's guitar playing days over after horrific accident". Everybody is talking about it.

I think you really should have to be relevant to perform at the Grammys. U2 at least has a nomination, but we all know that's only because of the rubber-stamping that the committee loves to do, nominating the same tired acts almost every year.

AC/DC and Madonna though? Where's the recent relevance in terms of hits or musical accomplishment? It's just a free way for them to get publicity for their latest album (which the general public will forget about in three minutes, same as they do with U2) and, moreso, promote their expensive tour tickets.

I think you really should have to be relevant to perform at the Grammys. U2 at least has a nomination, but we all know that's only because of the rubber-stamping that the committee loves to do, nominating the same tired acts almost every year.

AC/DC and Madonna though? Where's the recent relevance in terms of hits or musical accomplishment? It's just a free way for them to get publicity for their latest album (which the general public will forget about in three minutes, same as they do with U2) and, moreso, promote their expensive tour tickets.

Well all that plus the fact it's a pretty good fucking album

Well, that seems a bit better and more logical than Bono's near death promo tour he's been on.

Well Madonna and AC/DC were announced as performers, which means U2 probably was slated to perform until Bono's accident... Sigh

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Maybe Leo will do a surprise acapella performance of "Wake Up Dead Man" as a tribute to his Dad in an effort to shake him from the coma.

Maybe Leo will do a surprise acapella performance of "Wake Up Dead Man" as a tribute to his Dad in an effort to shake him from the coma.

He's not in a coma!
He's in physical therapy.

Leo should cover Police's "King of Pain" instead.

I hope they perform. It will have been almost 3 months since the accident and only about 3 months before the tour start but it all depends on how Bono feeling.

Bono has said he canceled all public appearances until the start of the tour which surely includes a Grammy performance.

Sad, but if it helps him recover it has to be done.

Or maybe he could do a duet with the original recording, kind of like how Natalie Cole did with her dead father.

She won Grammys for that one. Not a bad move for Leo if you ask me.

Unwittingly risen from the dead by Leo, zombie Lou Reed will sing Satellite of Love as a tribute to U2.

Back
Top Bottom