Rose Bowl DVD - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it yesterday, only watched the opening and a couple of songs, so I can only comment on picture/sound quality.

Looks like the pushed the contrast up and the grain on purpose. The 720P YouTube footage is clearer, but not as "stylized". I do wish it was a bit brighter but I am happy with the look/sound.

Hopefully I will get some time with the Bluray this weekend.

Oh, forgot to add, now that I have watched the entire show -

How good did Bono sound? Seriously, he was on point that night, he sounded amazing. LOVE!!:heart:

After about the millionth shot of Larry's FOAD look, I was like, "really, Larry, just one smile, would it kill you?" :lol: God love him. He did manage a few grins, and actually looked like he was having fun during Crazy.

The sound is fantastic. And it really is a beautiful shoot. Ultraviolet in particular is incredible. I need to see this in high def. Overall, a big time thumbs up!! :applaud:

I remember him saying that too and I said what did he just say??! :ohmy:

And yeah that was one thing I wished too was that the end didn't cut off after MOS. It was really emotional afterward when they said their goodbyes to the crowd.

I got the "packing it in" last tour EVER feeling without annoucing it :sad: when he did the suit of lights on the mike and it flew away.
I know that is relevant to the song, but it also is very symbolic.
Doncha think? I seriously got a strange preminition about it... and my heart sank. It kinda makes sense.. as much as I HATE to say this but this is the TOP of the mountain. Where else is U2 going to go? Litterally to the space station next time around?
The thing that gives me hope is the fact the BONO needs to perform...it's his life blood so this can't be goodbye. But that show FELT like it was.
And the whole Larry thing ( giving him extra props) for the camera was
symbolic too I thought.
And.... opening this tour with Breathe....Larry again solo at the drums.
It's the bookend for 40.
:sad: Oh this is making me worry now...especially if the back doesnt' heal. :sad:
:no: Somebody make me feel better.

I wasn't really feeling that way until Bono's back crapped out, and it struck me that they're aging (but aren't we all).

So I'm going to treat each concert going forward as if it might be the last. Just in case.

/cheesy sappy Cori

OK, Bonocomet, it wasn't just me! :D It was really odd, he was super emotional, and he really made it seem like they were breaking up or something. My sister and I both were like, "WTF did he just say?!!!" I thought I must have not heard him correctly. Or maybe it was just silly Bono getting emotional. I was really looking forward to seeing it on the DVD, to see what he actually said.

I just took a quick listen to the you tube recording and he said: "dont leave us now... thank you... thank you for giving us a great life... thank you Los Angeles... hope this is not the end... amazing."

you can hear the roar of the crowd pretty good at the end there too, would have been a nice moment on the dvd, but then they cut the beginning off when the crowd went nuts too, so... who knows. :wink:

I wasn't really feeling that way until Bono's back crapped out, and it struck me that they're aging (but aren't we all).

So I'm going to treat each concert going forward as if it might be the last. Just in case.

/cheesy sappy Cori

Yep me too. Especially after those comments he said at the end.
Also, they want to go out on top and how the hell do you top the Claw?
Watching the tour documentary confirmed this for me.
Unless Bono has another idea he has been itching to tackle.
Remember during Vertigo he kept saying that the band was about the future...and it was a forward looking thing. The Claw was obviously the future. The future is here and we are kissing it/them goodbye. HOPE NOT... God I hope I am so wrong.

I just took a quick listen to the you tube recording and he said: "dont leave us now... thank you... thank you for giving us a great life... thank you Los Angeles... hope this is not the end... amazing."

you can hear the roar of the crowd pretty good at the end there too, would have been a nice moment on the dvd, but then they cut the beginning off when the crowd went nuts too, so... who knows. :wink:

The crowd was nuts! I don't care what anyone says, I loove this DVD. I missed that ending on the DVD. I actually didn't like as the closer until last night. :drool:

I'm watching UV with mixed emotions. Bono seems really into the song and I love the way they show the laser jacket, but all those acrobatics he's doing, he's going mad. I wonder how he'll be on stage from now on. Will he be capable of being the geeky acrobat he's always been? :(

Ah, memories. AAGHTAAAGHHTTMAAAHSEEEELLLLFF WIIIIF WIIIYAAAARGH :heart:

So, nobody in Europe knows how to rip vinyl? :waiting:

:D

Srsly...I am amazed that Kingdom doesn't have a waiting list thread here somewhere!!! (If it did, I'd be on it!)

Does anyone have a clue what Larry was saying/shouting to Adam during the first verse/chorus of Streets? :hmm:

Woah, totally missed that part. Must go back and rewatch it! :wink:

Bought the double DVD version, can't wait to watch...I do think 360 might be the last monstersizedstadiumglobetrotter tour, but not the last U2 tour.

They can do new stage setups in arenas now.

:up: I agree with you, I don't understand all the complaining, like How dare the crowd be still during the slow songs :rolleyes:

as for why people weren't apeshit during magnificent...yes, LA crowds in general have a mellow reputation but out of 97k + I'd guess most are casual fans and opening with 3 songs off the new album was a bit much. I went with 4 people, 3 of which were casual and that was their comment about the show. Overall they loved it. I loved it. It was an energetic night. Either way this is one of the best DVDs IMO. I'm glad they filmed it here.

:
Its cracking me up people are complaining about the audience (not you, Jeannieco, just all the others I have read)- first of all, 90% of the show was so dark, you can't even see the audience, so they really were not relevant to this shoot at all. (that being said, I did spot me and my sister twice on the DVD!! :reject::D) I think people are just predetermined to think American audiences suck, so no matter what they see, they are going to bitch and moan and say they should have shot it in Europe. Whatever. :huh:

The audience was in to it - especially during the Black Eyed Peas! :lol: Honestly, any of the "mellowness" had to do with the setlist, there were a lot of mellow songs, and a lot of new songs a casual U2 fan (which you have to assume was at least 50% of the audience in a crowd of 100,000) didn't really know. During the hits and the upbeat songs, the crowd was into it.

But I totally agree with the lack of Bono interaction - I was afraid of this when I heard they were going to shoot the DVD, I really didn't want it to be a one take at the Rose Bowl, because I knew Bono would then be on his "best behaivor". I am sure he was told none of his normal shannanignas, they had way too much money riding on the shoot for something to go wrong. It was a bummer, because the spontinaity of a normal U2 show was the one thing that was totally lacking for me. Bono didn't seem as relaxed as he normally does.

The other bummer to me is they cropped off the end - in reality, they stood out there a long time after MOS, the crowd was going bonkers, and Bono said something like "I wish this wasn't the end" (or something else that really concerned me, it almost sounded like U2 was packing it in as a group, he was that emotional, he made it seem like it was the last time we would ever see them perform! Or maybe I was projecting my fears. :lol:). Does anyone remember specifically what he said??

I'm watching UV with mixed emotions. Bono seems really into the song and I love the way they show the laser jacket, but all those acrobatics he's doing, he's going mad. I wonder how he'll be on stage from now on. Will he be capable of being the geeky acrobat he's always been? :(

I know... I kept thinking that too.... :(
And when he was swaying his hips during MW.

Am I crazy for thinking that getting help for his back issues will be a good thing for his performances?

Even if there are some things he can't do going forward, I'm sure he'll find other ways to make up for it, and place the energy elsewhere.

Am I crazy for thinking that getting help for his back issues will be a good thing for his performances?

Even if there are some things he can't do going forward, I'm sure he'll find other ways to make up for it, and place the energy elsewhere.

Well ofcourse it's going to be better, as his back was pretty fucked up during the Vertigo tour as well. I can imagine he probably had back pains throughout the tour this time too. But still, a surgery is pretty heavy stuff.

I'm just afraid he can't be himself anymore I guess. That he has to hold back. And if he has to hold back, he won't like it himself either, so it could bring down the mood a bit. Maybe I'm getting emo cause I'm on MOS right now, and that song never hit me until I saw it live. Seeing Edge and Larry sing so loud when Bono's doing that rap. Dang.

Wa hey, wtf the end is quite short. :der: Ah well, onto disc 2 then.

Oh and for those wondering: All my dvd's in the pack are region free!

HM, good call headache. I need one. :hmm: Now lemme remember how to do that. I used to have a program for it...

Any special wishes for bitrate and quality?

Decripting. I'll have to convert to audio afterwards. Hope that'll be done within an hour or it'll have to wait till after sports. ;)

Woah, LARRY is TALKING in the documentary. :shocked:

Sorry but the quality of the 360-tour blu-ray is shocking. Now I wish I had bought the dvd instead so I could watch it on my PC aswell. Because this is not blu-ray worthy. Grainy all over the place. Even my The Cure blu-ray shot in 2002 had better quality.

The sound itself is, what I already expected from the youtube concert, a bit empty.(turn on the slane dvd and you know what I'm talking about).But not as much as I thought it would be. They really did a nice job fixing that sound. And you can finally hear that it was indeed a good concert. I loved the opening with the camera coming out of space.

And yeah when I see bono running around on COBL or being a monkey on UV makes me wonder what the show is gonna be like in August (if there is one).

Wasn't Bono pretty drunk this show?? I thought we came to this conclusion during the youtube viewing.

I watched the 1st few songs last night, (up until NLOTH) and I thought the director really caught the 360 show for what it was, so far. I kind of like the dark atmosphere as it gives U2 that mystery of this epic show.

The problem is after Magnificent the setlist just doesn't jive until Unknown Caller:

Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Stand By Me,
Stuck In A Moment
No Line On The Horizon
Elevation,
In A Little While

^^ I find this all over the board giving the audience a roller-coaster of a setlist

I'm not so sure about U2 giving up stadiums or big tours anytime soon. They just made $100+ million in less than 50 shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom