Rose Bowl DVD - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, considering the production, this release is not as impressive in terms of direction/editing *or* a/v quality as it could or really should have been.

The footage quality is all over the map depending on camera angles. When band members are filmed in decent lighting conditions fairly close up, the footage looks sharp. However, for the most part it's often quite dark with a lot of black crush on mid to long shots, no doubt to obscure grain due to the poor lighting conditions. Some long shots and especially overhead footage shot from the helicopter of the stadium are extremely rough looking for HD quality.

I do prefer some of the direction over U2's recent concert releases. There's a bit less of the rapid jump cutting and some shots are very well composed, such as shots of Adam in the near foreground with Bono in the background on one of the catwalks.

IMO, the home video audio mix lacks a truly "live" feel. There's very little crowd noise mixed in (although to be fair, this was a very sedate stadium audience most of the show) so it has a very disconnected feel to it. Of the audio options, the DTS track is by far the best option. I find most of U2's home video concert releases, especially from the past two tours to be vastly superior as far as more accurately presenting what it looks and *sounds* like at a U2 show.

I was at this show, my 24th U2 show dating back to the Boy tour in '81. I've also heard the original unedited raw IEM mixing desk audio from this show which is much more in your face and vital sounding (despite the click tracks and verbal "direction" cues). It's interesting if not surprising what was edited and re-recorded as far as vocals and some instrumentation for this official home video release.

Of all the extras, the "Squaring The Circle" feature is the most interesting viewing. Look sharp for the shots of the challenging setlist they were going by during the rehearsals. The tour opener features are frustrating as they only include portions of several songs played at those shows. And I have to say the footage of New Years Day in Polnad has appallingly bad sound that isn't even mediocre bootleg quality.

IMO, this release, much like the current tour (from a musical standpoint) and their last album pales in comparison to most of their previous home video releases. It's nice that it was released on Blu-ray, but the format's quality potential is virtually wasted, especially on the below average quality bonus footage.

T.B.

I'm so tempted by the super deluxe edition but the price is ridiculous! How can they justify charging the same price for it in the UK as in the US?! How the hell does $93.99 = £93.69?! Do these people know nothing about exchange rates?

Frankly, considering the production, this release is not as impressive in terms of direction/editing *or* a/v quality as it could or really should have been.

The footage quality is all over the map depending on camera angles. When band members are filmed in decent lighting conditions fairly close up, the footage looks sharp. However, for the most part it's often quite dark with a lot of black crush on mid to long shots, no doubt to obscure grain due to the poor lighting conditions. Some long shots and especially overhead footage shot from the helicopter of the stadium are extremely rough looking for HD quality.

I do prefer some of the direction over U2's recent concert releases. There's a bit less of the rapid jump cutting and some shots are very well composed, such as shots of Adam in the near foreground with Bono in the background on one of the catwalks.

IMO, the home video audio mix lacks a truly "live" feel. There's very little crowd noise mixed in (although to be fair, this was a very sedate stadium audience most of the show) so it has a very disconnected feel to it. Of the audio options, the DTS track is by far the best option. I find most of U2's home video concert releases, especially from the past two tours to be vastly superior as far as more accurately presenting what it looks and *sounds* like at a U2 show.

I was at this show, my 24th U2 show dating back to the Boy tour in '81. I've also heard the original unedited raw IEM mixing desk audio from this show which is much more in your face and vital sounding (despite the click tracks and verbal "direction" cues). It's interesting if not surprising what was edited and re-recorded as far as vocals and some instrumentation for this official home video release.

Of all the extras, the "Squaring The Circle" feature is the most interesting viewing. Look sharp for the shots of the challenging setlist they were going by during the rehearsals. The tour opener features are frustrating as they only include portions of several songs played at those shows. And I have to say the footage of New Years Day in Polnad has appallingly bad sound that isn't even mediocre bootleg quality.

IMO, this release, much like the current tour (from a musical standpoint) and their last album pales in comparison to most of their previous home video releases. It's nice that it was released on Blu-ray, but the format's quality potential is virtually wasted, especially on the below average quality bonus footage.

T.B.

Very interesting review, especially the info about re-recorded vocals. I was at the show, too, and loved it, but I agree - the layout and acoustics of the Rose Bowl made it seem as though the crowd was more subdued than they really were. I saw them in Cardiff last August and the vibe was through the roof, by contrast.

Smart way the beat the pirates :lol:
turntable.jpg

C'mon, make it happen...:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Can you elucidate upon this?

Some songs were abbreviated on the sheet, but it went like this:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Vertigo
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Drowning Man
Unforgettable Fire
Bad
In A Little While (or) Stuck In A Moment
Walk On (acoustic)
----------------
Electrical Storm
No Line On The Horizon
-space chat interlude-
Unknown Caller
----------------
Pride
MLK
Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultraviolet
With Or Without You
----------------
Breathe
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Moment Of Surrender

T.B.

Very interesting review, especially the info about re-recorded vocals. I was at the show, too, and loved it, but I agree - the layout and acoustics of the Rose Bowl made it seem as though the crowd was more subdued than they really were. I saw them in Cardiff last August and the vibe was through the roof, by contrast.

of all the shows i saw (all UK) Cardiff was off the hook. For me easily the best UK show... The magic happened that night and I remember thinking that wherever they filmed the dvd they would never capture what happened on a night like that...

Some songs were abbreviated on the sheet, but it went like this:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Vertigo
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Drowning Man
Unforgettable Fire
Bad
In A Little While (or) Stuck In A Moment
Walk On (acoustic)
----------------
Electrical Storm
No Line On The Horizon
-space chat interlude-
Unknown Caller
----------------
Pride
MLK
Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultraviolet
With Or Without You
----------------
Breathe
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Moment Of Surrender

T.B.

Shitty opening, but a pretty good ending...

I thought the crowd was going to be amazing at first. They were *really* loud during parts of the otherwise wretched Black Eyed Peas set, especially during the Guns n' Roses cover with Slash onstage. Once U2 got a few songs into their set, people really seemed to mellow out except for the great singalong during ISHFWILF and parts of the encore, notably Streets.

T.B.

Shitty opening, but a pretty good ending...

Yeah, opening with SBS and then going into Vertigo is just..... odd.

But I agree, that stretch between Pride and WOWY is just epic even with considering how flat WOWY usually has been the last few tour. I've always thought MLK preceding Streets like they did in the Superbowl is a stunning pairing of songs.

T.B.

I ended up buying this through itunes and am now watching it on my tv. I did have to turn off all the lights to get a view of the performance on my tv. I have skipped through a lot of songs though and am only playing the performances I want to see. Ultraviolet and the intro is pretty nice.

:waiting::waiting::waiting:

I am patiently awaiting for my super deluxe DVD set to come at the end of the month. Amazon sent me the e-mail yesterday stating not to expect it until the 25th... It better be worth the wait because unlike some of you, the nearest HMV is 50 miles away, the nearest Wal-mart is 55 miles away, the nearest Best Buy is 72 miles away, and the nearest Target is 140 miles away...:angry:

In the meantime while my patience is being tested, I am hoping to read lots of good reviews while I wait for the DVD box set...:cute: I am trying to figure out myself how I am going to listen to my vinyl record...:hmm:

I got it from Best Buy today. I was hoping to find myself in the crowd, but no such luck. :lol:

:waiting::waiting::waiting:

I am patiently awaiting for my super deluxe DVD set to come at the end of the month. Amazon sent me the e-mail yesterday stating not to expect it until the 25th... It better be worth the wait because unlike some of you, the nearest HMV is 50 miles away, the nearest Wal-mart is 55 miles away, the nearest Best Buy is 72 miles away, and the nearest Target is 140 miles away...:angry:

In the meantime while my patience is being tested, I am hoping to read lots of good reviews while I wait for the DVD box set...:cute: I am trying to figure out myself how I am going to listen to my vinyl record...:hmm:

There are still HMV stores in the US?

I'm in the same boat waiting for my box set from Live Nation :pray: My Amazon order shipped yesterday so hopefully it will arrive by the weekend.

There are still HMV stores in the US?

I'm in the same boat waiting for my box set from Live Nation :pray: My Amazon order shipped yesterday so hopefully it will arrive by the weekend.

HMV was in the US? :ohmy: Had no clue...I always considered it a Canadian chain. No, I have to drive across the border to get to the nearest one...

It seems the bimbos at Best Buy hadn't put it on the shelves yet, but through my nagging I got my 2 Disc, and watched it with one of my best U2 friends, AWESOME!!! Too bad the crowd was asleep except during JT songs.

Just skipped through it, there are some god awful digital zooms in places more annoyingly they seem to be there for artistic purposes...:doh:

Swept through Best Buy after work to pick up the 2 DVD set, was easy to find. Also placed an order for the Super Deluxe on LiveNation, if it goes through then very cool, if not then not...just can't bring myself to pay the $100-ish for it elsewhere.

U2Chile also appears to have the full version of "Soon" on their home page. Kind of a letdown if that's really the complete song. There's nothing that we haven't heard already. Not only that, but it lacks the cool strings outro that was present when the song was used during the tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom