rose bowl dvd....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like the show based on the YouTube broadcast, but I can only assume it would be a heck of a lot different on the DVD.

If it would be the same thing we saw online, then I would prefer another show be released.

I think people can have their opinions based on what they have watched on YT..and this wasn't great to my eyes and ears in no way..anyway, I don't wanna talk about this concert until it's released on DVD.

I don't know that a great in-person experience would always translate into a DVD experience, anyway.

I mean, a lot of us here think the Chicago Vertigo DVD isn't so hot, but you can probably find people who were there who thought it was an amazing show.

I hope they do end up releasing any shows from this tour. It wasn't a surprise at all that it didn't get released in time for Christmas, but I am a little surprised that we haven't heard a peep about it since it happened. Maybe because they've extended the tour, they're leaving their DVD options open.

I wasn't talking about Rose Bowl there, because I have already admitted that I loved the crowd on that show!

But Ms. Garrisson had to bring up past dvds. Well sorry but comparing the ROTW dvds to the US ones I still see the US ones as a dead crowd. But I realise that most US people won't accept this POV and will fight me to death over this. I know. I'm sick of the discussion. But it just keeps happening and I'm guilty of being one part of it.

Galeongirl, i was only half way serious if you notice my smiley face ( :sexywink: )

I don't see how all of the US crowds are "dead". Maybe some of us are more "conservative" in nature (matter of speaking, of course) compared to the ROTW crowds. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we don't typically que for three days in the rain to see u2, or we typically haven't been liquored up since sunrise. Okay, i said "typically", exceptions are noted.

I did not attend the Rose Bowl so i have no idea what that crowd was like, or if it would even make a good DVD release. However, someone who went to several shows (including Norman) also went to the Rose Bowl and he had some comments about this Norman crowd by comparison that i found interesting:

YouTube - DZMonk's Channel

This video, while great, does not do the experience justice. Not even close to being there...the entire crowd singing along with ISHFWILF and stand by me, Bono saying with the pump of a fist "thanks for sticking with us", yeah same to u2 Bono!

That crowd is hardly "dead", and it's basically half the size of the Rose Bowl Crowd. We might not have had inflatable penises and stuff like that but there were some beach balls and also some women threw their bras onstage, which is almost always a good thing. Almost, i said. If that's what you personally consider dead, then, well what can i say? We only die once i suppose :sexywink: <- again, joke :wink:

Norman was a great show which capped an exhausting weekend for many who traveled to Texas the day before for the annual OU-TX game which we lost by 3 points against bitter rival Texas. Not only did we lose this one by 3 points, our spirits were somewhat crushed with the loss of QB Sam Bradford for the season....in fact that was his last game as he will be going to the NFL this year. Anyway, many of us made the exhausting trip to and from Texas, suffered the crushing loss, and then had to get up for work early monday morning after the u2 show. I might add, it was cold and windy out there too, but none of this dampened the mood of the crowd that i could tell.

The other 360 show i attended, Dallas at Cowboys Stadium, had at least 25,000 more people in attendance and the venue was out of this world impressive. And i love Dallas too, im a fan of the city and the football team and the new stadium. So im not just saying this because i am from Norman, but the Dallas show did not compare to the Norman show....at all..peroid. There was something about the show, the crowd, etc...that it was on a completely different level. And the Dallas show/crowd was good....just not anywhere near Norman good.

I don't know what the means to you, Galeongirl, maybe thats how you view a US show versus a ROTW show, good but not on the same level? I think it is universially accepted that the Elevation Slane > Boston. Or that Vertigo Chicago DVD....sucks. I realize not every crowd (here or ROTW) is going to match the intensity of drunken Slane DVD guy during the opening of Elevation. Im not even sure if thats good or bad....either way....i should probably take in a ROTW show one of these days.

Back to the topic on hand, should u2 relase the Rose Bowl DVD? It's their call...several people feel that the crowd was great but the band was a bit *off* that night. I think it would be nice if there was a DVD from the second leg and then one from the final leg, capturing the USA and then also ROTW, with maybe some newer material (if that ever arrives). But again, its not my call. The band came and played in Norman, and for that i am eternally grateful. They owe me nothing....they can release whatever they want and i will be happy and i promise not to bitch too much.

In the meantime, i must go and have my morning cocktails and practice my concert screaming chants since Utah is only 3 months away. Cheers!
:beer::cocktail::rockon:

Good post. And I don't necessarily think all US crowds are crap. I've seen plenty of evidence that points the other way. Just the ones U2 decided to use on dvd, Boston and Chicago most notably, are pretty much dead. Or conservative as you'd like to call it. Sure, I understand that in Boston there were the issues with the obsessed followers who weren't allowed front row again as U2 were shooting, but still, even the 'fresh' new people aren't that much into it.

And honestly, we're not always drunk y'know. :wink: And 1 day is the max I'll stand in line. I'm not spending a night on concrete!

I just hope they'll release two dvds for a change, Vertigo really ruined it by releasing only parts of Milano as an extra with U218. That's a missed chance, a full Milano dvd would've been awesome and I wouldn't been bitching about it now!

Good post. And I don't necessarily think all US crowds are crap. I've seen plenty of evidence that points the other way. Just the ones U2 decided to use on dvd, Boston and Chicago most notably, are pretty much dead. Or conservative as you'd like to call it. Sure, I understand that in Boston there were the issues with the obsessed followers who weren't allowed front row again as U2 were shooting, but still, even the 'fresh' new people aren't that much into it.

And honestly, we're not always drunk y'know. :wink: And 1 day is the max I'll stand in line. I'm not spending a night on concrete!

I just hope they'll release two dvds for a change, Vertigo really ruined it by releasing only parts of Milano as an extra with U218. That's a missed chance, a full Milano dvd would've been awesome and I wouldn't been bitching about it now!

thank you :hug:

Yes, Vertigo DVD missed the boat and Milano looked a lot better. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, because we never know how these things are going to turn out. But nothing that i have seen quite compares to ZooTV - Sydney. The band was on, the venue was fun, and the crowd was wild. I think the stars must have all been aligned perfectly that night or something. Slane would be a close second though.

I guess we're all in agreement that 2 DVD's this time would be better than 1. Maybe they will do that, considering this tour is supposed to be the biggest/baddest/highest grossing tour ever? We shall see...

:hug:

It's listed for release the last day of March. The next is april 1st. Now let me guess next week the release will be posponed for a day............................ Great time to start an april fools joke. My money is on that right now. :wave:

Let's just hope they've overhauled the editing. And if they've synched in a Bono vocal performance from another night it might just be a great DVD!

Well if you don't like, don't buy it.:shrug:

I won't anyway cause I have yet to see a show (still six monthes:sad:) and I've already seen it once on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom