Rolling Stone: U2's best ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly, the only person who even MENTIONS the 90's material is Pete Wentz. What's with all the love for the 00's stuff? Jesus, couldn't they find anyone who wanted to talk about the groundbreaking work of the 90's?

Also, fuck off, Ben Gibbard. People think the same thing about your band, that the recent albums are not even close to the old ones. Unfortunately in your case, they're probably right.

Because their 00's material is enjoyable and speaks emotionally to many many many people, including celebrities. Why is Interference so hell bent on proving that their post-millennium material is terrible, when to a majority of U2 listeners, it isn't?

I'm not saying the 00's output is terrible. I enjoy all three albums. What bothers me is that an entire section of their career gets overlooked, arguably the most exciting and innovative one as well.

Because their 00's material is enjoyable and speaks emotionally to many many many people, including celebrities. Why is Interference so hell bent on proving that their post-millennium material is terrible, when to a majority of U2 listeners, it isn't?

For this article, it's not about the material. It's about what some of these people have to say about it. Musically speaking, Thom Yorke or Michael Stipe or the Arcade Fire people or even Chris Martin would have more to say about any U2 album or era than Fred Durst or Carrie Underwood would, imho.

For this article, it's not about the material. It's about what some of these people have to say about it. Musically speaking, Thom Yorke or Michael Stipe or the Arcade Fire people or even Chris Martin would have more to say about any U2 album or era than Fred Durst or Carrie Underwood would, imho.

I agree that hearing from those people would be better. In 1997, Billy Corgan wrote about U2 (Pumpkins - another group U2 influenced). That was a good article - I even agreed with Corgan's comments on "Pop" (good and bad).

However, by having Durst and Underwood and Swift comment, it shows how U2's appeal is very broad. It covers the rap-rock, country and pop, as well as rock and alternative rock. And to me, that really shows U2's relevance - that they not only influence new artists (and one only needs to listen to some of those bands to realize U2's influence), but artists in other genres as well.

Sorry, but I'm embarrassed to say I like some of the same music as Fred Durst, Rob Thomas, Fall Out Boy, Disturbed, Carrie Underwood, etc.

If I had never heard of U2 and read this list of musicians they inspired I would assume they were awful. I would almost take this article as if Rolling Stone set out to insult the band.

Muldfeld said:
<insert standard Muldfeld stuff>

Frankly this attitude is a lot more embarrassing than anything Fred Durst or Carrie Underwood could say about U2.

Did I say they couldn't? All I said was I find it embarrassing. Christ.

the fact you find it embarassing is what it is strange.. we could all the say the same about your opinion..

I for one like articles like this.. it's always gonna help U2 rather than have other artists slag them off

This.

Maybe it irks people because these artists mentioned couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. I might not like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, but most of these celebrities probably see that as like the crown jewel of songwriting. These people lack the ability to ever write something even half as good as my most hated U2 songs. With the exception of that Flaming Lips dude, cuz I'm a hip indie guy (that's why i'm on a U2 forum)

I'm just amazed that Rolling Stone even considered that anyone else would care about Fred Durst's opinion, on any subject, let alone U2. If U2's 2009 tour is one of the most anticipated, then surely Limp Bizkit's reunion is about as welcome as (insert own metaphor where appropriate - 'diarrhoea in a spacesuit' etc)?

To go slightly off-topic though, this article highlights for me the incredible gap between artists popular in the US, and elsewhere. Since I'm from the UK, I've never even heard of Ben Gibbard, Taylor Swift, Darlene Love, or David Drainman. Carrie Underwood I'm only vaguely aware of - generally, the 'American Idol' people don't seem to do so well over here, if they even bother trying. I guess if you're big in N America, that's good enough for some artists.

I don't have a problem with pop stars of the moment professing admiration for U2 and "embarrassment" over certain celebrities liking U2 stinks of music snobbery.

I did however find most of the comments shockingly inarticulate. I found myself wondering if people in the limelight even know how to speak coherently anymore.

I also suspected that many of these people were only casual U2 fans at best. They were chosen not because they were particularly devoted U2 fans but because they, themselves are "of the moment."

The fact is more than likely in 30 years all the people RS quoted will be as famous as I am. But even though U2 will have long since stopped recording, people will still know U2.

the fact you find it embarassing is what it is strange.. we could all the say the same about your opinion..

I for one like articles like this.. it's always gonna help U2 rather than have other artists slag them off

Never thought I'd see the day when disliking Fred Durst was considered an embarrassing opinion. I can't imagine any situation in which his endorsement of something would be helpful.

Seriously, I'm sorry for not being ecstatic to see everybody who is what's wrong with popular music right now citing one of my favorite bands as an influence. Apparently, this means they're "relevant" so I guess it's all good!

It saddens me that these people believe their last two records were any good. Where is their respect for Zooropa and Pop, albums which actually moved the band forward. No wonder HTDAAB won all those Grammys if that's what "the musical establishment" think.

People aren't allowed to state what their favourite album is unless it correlates with your opions? Don't forget that Pop is deemed as a flop and their worst album by many fans, critics and the band themselves. I may not agree with it but I dislike it very much when people on this forum take every opportunity to dismiss Bomb and ATYCLB. Most fans appear to like them no matter how much the vocal minority get all worked about their dislike for them. I hate NLOTH but I move with my life because I've got loads of albums that I do like to listen to that were recorded by U2 and other musicians.

Back
Top Bottom