Roger Friedman says U2 are making a big mistake with 360 tour,after NLOTH album flop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The article is an insult to Americans. We know that Burma is a country. I am sick and tired of people calling us stupid.

I like NLOTH. It doesn't have to sell a billion copies. And as far as Bono forgetting a few words in one song. If I had to perform in front of 80 thousand people. I would be so nervous. I wouldn't be able to remember my own name. Come on.....give Bono some slack, here. I watched U2 on Saturday Night Live. They were on top of their game. I have also, watched video clips of the 360 tour. And I think it is fantastic.

I'm sorry, but when you make an album that has the songs, No Line.. Magnificent, Breathe, Crazy Tonight, Moment, Unknown Caller, and yes, even Boots. You should tour the hell out of that album.

And that's just the songs they actually play live. It's such a good album. The guy that wrote that article is just a big douche.

I'd have to say I totally concur with this (that since they don't need the money, U2 shouldn't be bothering touring the
hugely disappointing NLOTH album that's probably been their biggest flop). I'd suggest they look at working with new
producers who'd push (and even frustrate them) them a lot harder for their next album.

Bono Channels Michael Jackson in U2 Extravaganza Show | The Hollywood Reporter | Showbiz 411

Bono Channels Michael Jackson in U2 Extravaganza ShowBy: Roger Friedman. Friday September 25, 2009.
A pop star fishes a 12 year old boy out of the audience during his concert, runs around the stage with him, holds his hand, before returning him to his parents. Later, a group of volunteers holding candles fan out along the ramp encircling the stage. Is it Michael Jackson ? Sure sounds like it. No it's Bono and the show was last night at Giants Stadium, where U2 put on an extravaganza only Jackson and Liberace could've imagined.

This is U2's 360 tour, the follow-up to last spring's album release, 'No Line On The Horizon'. Here's the problem, which was unforeseen : No Line wasn't a hit and yielded no singles except for the grating 'Get On Your Boots'. It was the first-ever mistake in the U2 catalog and should've been rethought. Instead No Line and its turgid, mostly tuneless songs was foisted on the public. Months later, they're still unsingable and unmemorable. So Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullins Jr. have to take the bulk of their catalog and reimagine it onstage without benefit really, of new material anyone wants to hear. Thursday night's show ran the gamut from enervating to joyous, with lots of potholes in between. The highlights were standbys 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', 'One' and 'With Or Without You'.

But missing from the lineup were 'New Years Day', 'In the Name of Love', 'Original of the Species' and a few others that could've energized the proceedings. 'Vertigo' was refreshing and really rocked. 'Stay' would've been extraordinary except Bono 'went up' and forgot the words a quarter of the way in. He looked rattled and never regained his composure during the song. Too bad — it's so good and Bono and Edge played it just as they did at Elvis Costello's taping last week in Toronto. I've seen U2 at Giants Stadium before, when it was just them and their songs, but last night's show was about more, more, more. The stage is round, juts out into the middle of the field, encircled by a ramp. There's two massive, moving bridges. The whole has a kind of gigantic round space ship-like structure that's really a massive video screen, suspended by a spiderlike cover, maybe meant to be used later in the 'Spider-Man' musical, for which U2 has written the music.

The whole of the concept isn't bad, but is undermined by a neon steering wheel also suspended from the top and fitted with a microphone. This is a mistake. Bono dressed in a suit jacket lit up along the seams, sings two great songs into the steering wheel, then swings along on it. This should be stopped at once. All the intimacy of the show is jettisoned. U2 has also been a band of bombast, that was their appeal. Presenting them in stripped-down settings made the band very accessible and showcased the finer aspects of their songwriting. (The newer album is just a misstep. They'll be back, but this new show is all about more, bigger and unnecessary stuff. All the tamps and bridges — Mick Jagger, Tina Turner and Bruce Springsteen know how to use them. Bono and Edge seemed indifferent to them. Either use or lose them. Right now, they're bridges to nowhere, but don’t think U2 isn't full of pleasures. The band remains a hot engine, with Edge driving it full force. I liked the inclusion of bits and pieces of other people’s songs — the Rolling Stones, Ben E. King, etc. — sort of tying U2's music to rock history. It was a bold move and it worked and Bono is still Bono.

There's a video speech from Bishop Desmond Tutu. The candle ceremony is for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, jailed female leader of Burma's (Myanmar) opposition political party. It's a great thought and as usual Bono's heart is in the right place, but I doubt many of the 81000 U2fans had any idea what was going on. If you did word associations with 99% of Americans, they'd answer 'shave' after the word 'Burma', but U2 rocks on and Live Nation has a hit in a mostly sold out to the rafters tour. For every bit of nit picking, there's still the wonders of 'Mysterious Ways' and 'I Still Don't Know What I'm Looking For' and 'Beautiful Day' and that still puts them way out ahead of just about everyone else, but really leave the kids in the audience. It's just too weird.
Anyone who thinks Vertigo is better than the average song or any song, really, on the new album is a moron. This guy is saying that popularity dictates what U2 should play. He's obviously used to radio frequency dictating his brainwashed tastes.

And I LOVED the red-lighted jacket and dangling microphone.

The "No Line on the Horizon" songs were so much more appreciated by me than old hits, of which I've grown thoroughly bored. Other highlights: Ultraviolet, Your Blue Room, and Unforgettable Fire, and the acoustic version of Stuck in a Moment. Didn't like anything else played from the last 9 years, though.

I'm sorry, but when you make an album that has the songs, No Line.. Magnificent, Breathe, Crazy Tonight, Moment, Unknown Caller, and yes, even Boots. You should tour the hell out of that album.

And that's just the songs they actually play live. It's such a good album. The guy that wrote that article is just a big douche.

Yeah, exactly. He's some grouchy old rock critic who simply doesn't get it.

1. i really enjoyed the steering wheel during UV. kinda weird for WOWY.
2.he really can't call it a flop. i mean the facts are facts. if thats a flop then what do you call 80% of the albums released by other 80's artists who washed up after 1990. No one appreciates this ever. Go check the message boards for def leopard, and tears for fears and see what the fuck is going on their. I'm sick of this shit. Your NOT supposed to transcend the decade you made your name in. You have your run, then you break up/release bad albums/albums don;t sell regardless and you get washed up and no one remembers you except as a "remember these guys". Then you tour with 5 other bands to half sell out a shit hole venue. Only a the precious few can do it. Oh u2 isn't the only one. metalica ,Madonna etc. . and those are hall of fame acts. You know, on one related note, on breaks ups. i always believed the police would have had u2-like success had they not broken up. But that's just another example of how things can go wrong. u2 could have easily been the joke from the 80's who never made a AB and right now tears for fears could be playing giants stadium. never forget that could have been how it ended up. enough with the flop talk.
3.OOTS is a rocking song??? i must have a defect in my cd.
4.I admit the crowd wasn't that THAT into the new songs, but still seemed to enjoy it. I have seen old bands play new songs that nobody even would consider getting into or caring about. it wasn't that bad.
5.bono doing politically related activities. is this new?
6.bono did mess up some lyrics. so this wasn;t their best night ever. How about when he would lose his voice in the 80's? they got by somehow.
7. he just wanted to being jackson and liberance's name into it. For whatever reason.

Yeah, exactly. He's some grouchy old rock critic who simply doesn't get it.

Grouchy old rock critics can be annoying, but if this guy really was some grouchy old rock critic, he probably would have written a review that at least showed basic knowledge of the band and its history. The problem is this guy isn't a music journalist. He's a gossip columnist who someone ended up reviewing a concert.

Not their best album for sure IMO . But still the Greatest Live show & Band in the world.
Life is great.:wave:

Blah Bah Heard it all before.

Its just one persons opinion. WHo cares. I always hated critics, because all they do is criticize. I never listen to a movie reviewer/critic, NEVER. I see movies because of actors/actresses not because Yahoo's critics gave it A-

U2 is one of the (well top 5 anyway) live acts ever. Of course years ago they were better live and yes they made mistakes..YES humans.

IMO Greatest song writer ever-Bono. Innovative sounds by the Edge.
Yes, we all have our moments, Oh, why does he sound like this or why don't they play just arenas? It's just great to be able to appreciate this long time group who are still making albums

I am just happy to be a part of the love for the band that most people on here feel. Always will be a fan even if U2 plays to old age homes or the bar down the street or even yes even my least favorite place a giagantic stadium.. lol

7. he just wanted to being jackson and liberance's name into it. For whatever reason.

Because he has had an unhealthy MJ obsession going on for years and can't let go now. Is Bono his new victim? I don't understand why he would even consider comparing them. This is so ridiculous. And there's a reason why he's writing a totally irrelevant blog. He used to be a FOX reporter but was thrown out after leaking a movie. Fact is, this guy is a sleazy Hollywood gossip reporter who doesn't know anything about music. :down:

Not their best album for sure IMO . But still the Greatest Live show & Band in the world.
Life is great.:wave:

"Best album" is way to subjective, as indicated by your IMO.

But IMO, NLOTH is the best since AB and I'd put it up there in my top 3 - TUF, AB and NLOTH. :wave:

U2 have been lucky to have had big hits on some albums before a tour launched. As a result, many people already had the album before seeing U2 in concert. But in some cases, it doesn't work this way. A band usually goes on tour to promote the new. That's exactly what U2 are doing with this tour and NLOTH. And it's working. NLOTH has seen a spike in sales in each country U2 has visited (including the U.S.). People are hearing the new songs - perhaps for the first time - enjoying them and buying the album. This is the way it's supposed to work.

Regardless, as I wrote before, NLOTH's sales have been amongst the best in the U.S. and worldwide this year. This isn't 2004 or 1999, when one could sell 10M just in the U.S. Those days are a distant memory.

For NLOTH to be a top selling album worldwide and for U2 to sell out stadiums everywhere suggests that U2 have pretty much reached the best a band can do in this current environment. It's unfortunate NLOTH didn't produce a mega-hit (I'm still stumped by this), but sometimes that's just the way it is. Still, big hits don't relate to big album sales. Flo Rida had several big hits recently, yet the album was a true flop.

Flo Rida had several big hits recently, yet the album was a true flop.

Haha - True that.
I think the days of #1's are over & that stat is overrated IMO.
It's how the song & the band resonate with fans that will make a band's legacy.

Cold Play is not even on my radar but anytime "Clocks" comes on, I have to listen & tap my fingers ala the piano bit.

That said, I am no where the U2 fan I used to be - with life getting in the way & all.
I will surely - with their latest offerings - miss looking for the something similar to the B side little nuggets like "Walk to the Water" .

But with their gigantic catalogue, it's still a peerless band that gets me up anytime, any where.

friedman-roger_180.jpg

^Is this the guy?

You know what they say - a picture is worth a thousand words. The only thing missing is the L on his forehead. DORK.

(I think he's jealous of Bono's sunglasses - I mean look at those frames!)

Dang, I guess I'll just sell my 360 tickets now. This guy is soooo right.

The whole of the concept isn't bad, but is undermined by a neon steering wheel also suspended from the top and fitted with a microphone. This is a mistake. Bono dressed in a suit jacket lit up along the seams, sings two great songs into the steering wheel, then swings along on it. This should be stopped at once.
I agree. Who would want to see that anyway?

'I Still Don't Know What I'm Looking For'
:lol:

My critique of this article: Whut?

Yikes and ouch that was some review. The author didn't mention the lack of air play of songs because Bono was being banned after he spoke out about artists on the radio getting royalties.

i love when people hate on u2 and write articles about them without doing a little bit of research like the songs/band members actual names lol - yea im going to take the article seriously lol

I once read a review of HTDAAB where the author accused u2 of pulling a coldplay with the piano intro of city of blinding lights - lol he failed to realize that the edge has been playing piano since U2's second album October and that chris martin didnt invent the freakin thing

i give NLOTH a solid 3.5 out of 5. solid. good. masterpiece?no way. but not anywhere near the disaster this guy made it out to be. That was just so false its funny. Hey shithead, give me whitesnake's latest album sales or let me know what culture club has been up to lately. This guy was acting u2 like was finished. lol. like done. With a album selling a million copys and playing to a sold out stadium. I know when i saw em last week under those conditions i was thinking "man they are so washed up!".

Back
Top Bottom