Rock Band and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heck, even for my own originals, I don't play the same thing each time. My songs always sound different. I'm all about improvisation, not learning notes and chords.

You sound like me, I write a lot of guitar parts but most of them are on the spur of the moment and I never remember how to play them. I'm more about working on effects for a while, coming up with a rough idea of a guitar part and do a couple of takes and hopefully get one I like

If my band ever plays live I'm screwed :lol: I remember how to play one song and maybe a few acoustic chord progressions

U2 are idiots for not putting their music on Rock Band. This game has done more for rock and roll in the past 2 years than anything else in the past decade. I teach guitar lessons, and my students - often much younger than me - often know bands ONLY by whatever song(s) happen to be available by them on Rock Band.

Rock Band is the best way to get your music out to a HUGE audience. Especially if your music isn't breaking into the joke that is Top 40 radio today. The Stones get it. So do the Beatles. Even Coldplay is finally getting it. But not U2.

NLOTH could be getting a much bigger reception and recognition if it were on Rock Band. This could be said for U2's entire catalog.

I don't buy the "selling out" argument at all. As musicians, you want to share your music with as many people as possible. And yes, you want to make MONEY while you do it too.

Why U2 remains one of the last major bands to get with Rock Band baffles me.

I almost bought Rock Band because of the Beatles (and may still get it for that reason). I wasn't thrilled with most of the songs typically available, but Beatles! WoW!

If U2 were able to come up with a Rock Band, I'd defiitely get that.

My only question is how to play U2's songs given Edge's many effects (especially the echo effect). Would that delay effect be built into the system, would it be a feature on a special guitar (or pedal?)? Could this even be a reason for U2 not releasing it?

As for this "sell-out" argument... I've always supported the notion of artists using their music for music related events. For example, having their music in a movie, in commercials advertising their album, in iTunes or iPod commercials, etc. To me, Rock Band is part of that. I would argue that if anything is close to selling out in the U2 world, it was the Harley commercial Larry did in the late 80's and the current Blackberry ad (but this latter one is acceptable given that Blackberry is sponsoring the tour, helping to keep ticket prices down). In other words, I think if U2 can do iTunes and Blackberry and Harley Davidson ads, then Rock Star is not selling out at all. It's just a great way for a new generation of fans to discover their music (and for us old fans to have more fun with the songs we love).

I almost bought Rock Band because of the Beatles (and may still get it for that reason). I wasn't thrilled with most of the songs typically available, but Beatles! WoW!

If U2 were able to come up with a Rock Band, I'd defiitely get that.

My only question is how to play U2's songs given Edge's many effects (especially the echo effect). Would that delay effect be built into the system, would it be a feature on a special guitar (or pedal?)? Could this even be a reason for U2 not releasing it?

As for this "sell-out" argument... I've always supported the notion of artists using their music for music related events. For example, having their music in a movie, in commercials advertising their album, in iTunes or iPod commercials, etc. To me, Rock Band is part of that. I would argue that if anything is close to selling out in the U2 world, it was the Harley commercial Larry did in the late 80's and the current Blackberry ad (but this latter one is acceptable given that Blackberry is sponsoring the tour, helping to keep ticket prices down). In other words, I think if U2 can do iTunes and Blackberry and Harley Davidson ads, then Rock Star is not selling out at all. It's just a great way for a new generation of fans to discover their music (and for us old fans to have more fun with the songs we love).

As far as Edge's sound and effects go, I don't think it really matters nor would you need any special pedals or anything. The sound you hear coming from the game is just the actual original music, so when you "play" an Edge solo, you are going to hear what you would hear on the record no matter what effects he is using. (I hope that made sense :reject: )

I'll be getting the Beatles version this holiday season, and if they ever do a U2 version I will be there to get that too, day 1. :drool:

Well it would be cool if they made some effects pedal especially for the U2 game. :hmm:

If they bring out a U2 version of this game I'll instantly buy a Wii and the game with that. :up:

If they make this game I will have to buy or make Bono's steering wheel mike. And maybe a mini-claw in my basement?

I doubt they'd make an effects pedal, seeing as Edge's guitar playing is so simple they'll probably use the delayed notes to give an extra challenge, chart them as hammer ons probably

All I know is the opening of Streets would be murder in rock band, so simple on real guitar but in the game it could be a nightmare.

If this game is ever announced it will go straight to my most wanted games list ever but oh well until then i'm hyped up enough about the 10 Queen songs and all of Abbey Road coming out for rock band on tuesday :drool:

As far as Edge's sound and effects go, I don't think it really matters nor would you need any special pedals or anything. The sound you hear coming from the game is just the actual original music, so when you "play" an Edge solo, you are going to hear what you would hear on the record no matter what effects he is using. (I hope that made sense :reject: )

I'll be getting the Beatles version this holiday season, and if they ever do a U2 version I will be there to get that too, day 1. :drool:

I've played Rock Band and know that you simply have to match the buttons on the guitar to the buttons on the screen (or sing to match the notes, etc.). And with that in mind, I guess a game could be made that way, with the effects built into the game. However, as we all know, Edge will use a delay effect for parts of a song, then switch out of it, then back into it, etc. As Galeongirl wrote, it would be cool to have an "effect pedal" of some sort to match what Edge does more accurately.

Regardless, like you, I'm hoping to get the Beatles game - a treat to myself. And if a U2 version does come out, I'm there. :yes:

Ummmm, I'll just go play the songs on a real guitar.

I don't like the idea of U2 putting their music in RB/GH.:no: It seems like a cool idea but I can sort of see it not working for some reason. There are pros and cons to doing this. I'd rather not see them put anything in either one.

I am all for this. The care and loving attention that pours out of The Beatles Rock Band is really uplifting, especially as I was really skeptical of it at first.

Rest assured, though, if they make a U2 Rock Band you won't be getting anything too obscure, you won't get a lot of early stuff, and you won't be getting snippets or anything like that.

That said there is huge potential here. I was over at a friend's yesterday with some people and they were playing that 9 minute Peter Frampton song. These are guys who listen to horrible Top 40 Club music most of the time and they're enjoying Peter Frampton. Are you fricken' kidding me?

Rest assured, though, if they make a U2 Rock Band you won't be getting anything too obscure, you won't get a lot of early stuff, and you won't be getting snippets or anything like that.

I'd say if they made a full game you'd get a lot of "obscure" stuff, at least to the casual fans. The early stuff is just perfect for the game, I'd be surprised if they turned down The Electric Co for something like I Still Haven't Found. I mean they dropped Yesterday from the beatles and a bunch of other popular songs for ones that were more fun but lesser known like Hey Bulldog

I'd say if they made a full game you'd get a lot of "obscure" stuff, at least to the casual fans. The early stuff is just perfect for the game, I'd be surprised if they turned down The Electric Co for something like I Still Haven't Found. I mean they dropped Yesterday from the beatles and a bunch of other popular songs for ones that were more fun but lesser known like Hey Bulldog
Well I hope they keep the same formula they had for the Beatles game as far as the song mix, as well as the presentation.

Instead of just live gigs from various points in their careers, you got more of a love letter to the band that embraced their entire history.

U2 could really work with that kind of treatment.

The only thing that makes me think we won't get that kind of game is because HMX don't seem like U2 fans, I checked their last.fm page (apparently a lot of people who work their scrobble) no sign of U2 at all sadly.

how about if you play 40 on this thing, and it tells you that the bass and guitar player must switch,lol. and then one by one you all have to leave. lol.

Back
Top Bottom