Rihanna wants U2 duet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's unlikely, but I'd be happy enough. Rihanna is pretty good. So long as it's a new song. The unspeakable bilge version of One was awful.

People are traumatized by that awful version of what shouldn't even be called "One", but I think this has a chance to be great and after all, raise U2's popularity among the young people. Of couse, Interference will be a mess with the folks screaming: "OMG!!111!1!! SEell OUUTzzz!!1!1!!", but after all this, I think we can handle that.

Fuck. no. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Fuck

My sister listens very often to her. It makes me cringe, popular music can be so bad these days.

shes about as deep as a puddle.

i mean, WHAT THE FUCK is

you can stand under my umbrella - ella - ella
ey - ey
under my umbrella - ella - ella
ey-ey-ey-ey-ey-ey-ey-

She makes my blood boil. This is the kind of shit that insults bands like U2. They write THEIR own music, they have worked hard for 33 years, and this twerp comes up with her garbage voice, and cheesey hook-laden meaningless, mind-numbing tripe and sells through the roof.

It appears that if shes hot and gyrates in a film-clip, it doesn't matter what the song sounds like.

Under my unbrella... ella... ella

Well, it's lyrically dead, but it's damn catchy....

Just another move to make U2 look "hip" to the young crowd. I remember in 06 when they threw Saints on the U218 comp just to hook the young crowd in to purchasing it because of Green Day's involvment. I can see it now "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - Will I Am Remix featuring Rihanna".

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

First, Green Day is not "young". I'm not saying they are a bunch of old men, but they first broke through in the mid-90's. By the time "American Idiot" came out, they were well established. Plus, thanks to the iPod commercial, U2 were more than "hip" at the time. U2 didn't peform with the "hot new thing", it was a meeting of one very established, but still wildly popular act, with a band that has enjoyed success for nearly 15 years.

Green Day has a punk sound and U2 was born out of the punk movement, so it was a good match for them to perform together.

As for U2 performing with other new artists, it remains to be seen. Sometimes these "meetings" are just that - a meeting. And sometimes the press blows things way out of proportion, making statements that aren't really true. Bono's not going to sue a paper for it stating how his kids love Rihanna, but it may not be true at all.

However, even if it is true, is it so bad. Does anyone remember a hot, hip fairly young man from Dublin performing with a seasoned veteran on an album called "Duets"? Sinatra and Bono re-created a classic that was one of that album's highlights. You could accuse Sinatra of trying to be hip and connecting with a younger crowd back then, and maybe you'd be right. Is that so bad? Why not expose a new generation to the brilliance of Sinatra? If that album did it, good! Just like those Cadillac commercials helped expose Led Zeppelin to a new generation. While I'm not a fan of Zep's music being used that way, I am always happy to hear it. And I was glad that kids, used to stuff like Rihanna or Britney or Justin or Beyonce, got to hear something that's a LOT better and maybe expand their musical world.

Tell us how you really feel about her.

ill open up if you want! lol

Brainless pop shits me. Because there are millions of girls with amazing voices, but they dont get any opportunities because they dont have 'the look'.

There is also a differnce between the synths and electro work an Eno does, that requires talent and craftsmanship, than the processed nonsense that gets bunged up as backing to these harlotts.

Unless at least 50% of the music is human hand-played, I have little or no time for it.

Why people hate Paris hilton so much, and not her strikes me as odd. Both are famous for 'being hot'. thats all they do. Rhianna would be NOWHERE if she wasn't 'hot'. a) she would never have got a start, and b) the little tweens wouldn't have someone to emulate/fantasise about if she wasn't 'hot'.

If they do this, I will be one cranky boy.

I'm all up for it as long as the song is good. :up:

You're not cranky now?

I mean seriously, you're just throwing out an entire genre of music as crap because you think it's all about the look? Or because it's digitally created instead of something you find more interesting?

I'm not saying you can't have your own opinion. You're more than entitled to it, but you are definitely seeming a little pissed off over a rumor.

You're not cranky now?

I mean seriously, you're just throwing out an entire genre of music as crap because you think it's all about the look? Or because it's digitally created instead of something you find more interesting?

I'm not saying you can't have your own opinion. You're more than entitled to it, but you are definitely seeming a little pissed off over a rumor.

Its late, and im tired :reject:

im not throwing out a whole genre, I did say 'brainless pop'. I do like a lot of pop music. But in this case, it shits me when all she provides is the voice, and there are 50,000 other singers more qualified, and would have done a better job. She didn't write and words/music, the music is all synthetically made, because if we're honest, the music is in no way the focus of whats going on there, and her voice is so abrasive. The only conclusion I can draw is that she looks good, so people buy her records.

And yeah its just a rumour, but I am praying it stays that way

That's fair enough.

And to be honest, I'm super tired as well, otherwise I probably wouldn't be defending her.

I am *not* tired, nor am I being disingenuous when I say that I like a couple of Rihanna songs - there's something to be said about songs that are so insanely catchy, without any pretense or placating towards a specific demographic. Rihanna's "Disturbia" is not meant to be a cerebral experience (Radiohead), nor is it pandering to the masses (IMO) like a certain pop princess (*cough*BritneySpears*cough*) - it just is, and I don't mind it.

...and besides, it's not like she's dueting with the entire band, it's just Bono (and Bono's been a part of a few egregious duets in his years, I must say (the "Don't Give Up" cover w/ Alicia Keys, for example... along with that atrocious cover of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On")). Sure, one can say those songs were a part of a bigger picture, but we have no idea what this song (that may never even come to fruition!) will be about.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

First, Green Day is not "young". I'm not saying they are a bunch of old men, but they first broke through in the mid-90's. By the time "American Idiot" came out, they were well established. Plus, thanks to the iPod commercial, U2 were more than "hip" at the time. U2 didn't peform with the "hot new thing", it was a meeting of one very established, but still wildly popular act, with a band that has enjoyed success for nearly 15 years.

Green Day has a punk sound and U2 was born out of the punk movement, so it was a good match for them to perform together.

As for U2 performing with other new artists, it remains to be seen. Sometimes these "meetings" are just that - a meeting. And sometimes the press blows things way out of proportion, making statements that aren't really true. Bono's not going to sue a paper for it stating how his kids love Rihanna, but it may not be true at all.

However, even if it is true, is it so bad. Does anyone remember a hot, hip fairly young man from Dublin performing with a seasoned veteran on an album called "Duets"? Sinatra and Bono re-created a classic that was one of that album's highlights. You could accuse Sinatra of trying to be hip and connecting with a younger crowd back then, and maybe you'd be right. Is that so bad? Why not expose a new generation to the brilliance of Sinatra? If that album did it, good! Just like those Cadillac commercials helped expose Led Zeppelin to a new generation. While I'm not a fan of Zep's music being used that way, I am always happy to hear it. And I was glad that kids, used to stuff like Rihanna or Britney or Justin or Beyonce, got to hear something that's a LOT better and maybe expand their musical world.

The dudes in Green Day are like 36 years old now.. Pushin' 40!

Depends on how this go. She reached out to Bono and says she's a U2 fan, hopefully meaning she wants to sing a U2 type song.

If you watched the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers documentary by Peter Bogdonavich, there's a scene where Tom talks about the duet between them and Stevie Nicks. Tom tells about learning to not try and write a Stevie Nicks song or in the style of whoever has approached you. Stevie and others come to Tom because they like his stuff and want to sing a song written by him. So as long as U2 writes a U2 song, I think it could be interesting even to me, somebody who isn't a Rhiana fan at all.

So far the female singers were good, even if you didn't like the new One or Don't give up or American prayer. U2/Bono could do a lot worse than Beyonce/Mary J Blige/Alicia Keys. (and lest we forget Sinead)

People are traumatized by that awful version of what shouldn't even be called "One", but I think this has a chance to be great and after all, raise U2's popularity among the young people. Of couse, Interference will be a mess with the folks screaming: "OMG!!111!1!! SEell OUUTzzz!!1!1!!", but after all this, I think we can handle that.

I don't think One With Mary J sucked that much, sure she could learn to not to oversing on songs but at least she can sing. Rihanna on the other hand, her voice makes my ears hurt

lol @ people thinking U2 are above "pop-stars" and are trying to go mainstream

Really? U2 isn't mainstream? Really?!

Back
Top Bottom