Results of Rolling Stone's Top Artist/Album/Song of the Decade polls.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "official" (non-online poll) Rolling Stone list in the new issue, chosen by the editors and various musicians, has ATYCLB at #13 and Beautiful Day at #9. I was actually mostly impressed by the lists - (and no, Green Day doesn't make the top 10 of either list) - it reminded me of a lot of great music.

Rolling Stone also lists NLOTH as Best album of the year and MOS as best song of the year. (There's a lot of U2, and a lot of U2-love, in this issue - they are, of course, written up as one of the artists of the decade).

The "official" (non-online poll) Rolling Stone list in the new issue, chosen by the editors and various musicians, has ATYCLB at #13 and Beautiful Day at #9. I was actually mostly impressed by the lists - (and no, Green Day doesn't make the top 10 of either list) - it reminded me of a lot of great music.

Rolling Stone also lists NLOTH as Best album of the year and MOS as best song of the year. (There's a lot of U2, and a lot of U2-love, in this issue - they are, of course, written up as one of the artists of the decade).

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will need to pick it up.

Look, I love Green Day, but yeah... not Artist of the Decade. But, I mean, who really WAS artist of the Decade. You can make an argument for Radiohead, Kanye, Jay-Z, Beyonce (pop), and U2. There wasn't a clear cut leader, which I don't think is necessarily bad.

As for no good music, I think there is some but it isn't mainstream. Mainstream rock right now is horrid.

Well its nice to see them still get that high on the charts considering the hate for them amongst the tech-savvy young generation that no doubt made up most of the voters.

U2 aren't as commercially popular, and I guess NLOTH and 21CB have had a similar recption. You don't exactly see Green Day everywhere like in 2004, same with U2.

Yeah, except Warning (AKA the album before American Idiot that no one remembers) only went gold. Even floppy nlothy blew those numbers out of the water. Count in ticket sales and U2 comes out WAY on top of Green Day for the 00s.

Of course, my top 5 albums for this decade probably sold a million copies combined, so I couldn't care less about this topic if I tried. As a matter of fact, I just might.

I find those lists to be decent :shrug:

And someone questioned "Beautiful Day, song of de decade?"

Why not? I don't like ATYCLB but in my opinion it was the most important song for U2 this decade... imo, of course.

I'm disappointed that NLOTH did not crack the top five (never mind the top ten) but at least HTDAAB was nowhere to be seen! :)

So, Rolling Stone released some of the ballots for Album/Song of the Decade. These were filled out by various artists. A couple of interesting votes. Apparently, Lars Ulrich is a BIG NLOTH fan.

Tom Morello: Album - 21 was ATYCLB Song - 9 was Moment of Surrender.
Kirk Hammett: Song - 9 Beautiful Day
Lars Ulrich: Album - 11 was NLOTH Song - 1 was Moment of Surrender and 17 was Vertigo.

I guess those lists could be worse...

It is indeed a little sad that a lot of the people are from past decades, though personally I'm a fan of older musicians. I don't dig the teenage cult of pop music.

As per the state of current music, it's silly -- there are so many incredible, innovative, fresh bands and people, but no one pays attention to them, e.g. Arcade Fire, Fleet Foxes, Feist, the Swell Season, The Veils, etc...

Back
Top Bottom