Red Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoz

War Child
What a song?! what an absolutely cool song!

Was just listening to this coming home from work and I was just blown away. The sheer vibrancy and artistry of the song is up there with the best. Creativity at its absolute best. Hard to describe the songs using words.

My favourite parts from the song have to be the horns at the end, the female chorus, and, of course, The Edge's guitar when Bono goes into the "give you my love" chorus. Tune to 0:46 in YouTube - U2 -Red Light

And you know what else I love? Adam's exquisite, well groovy bass playing on this song especially around 1:50.

:corn:

Personally, I've always liked the song, but the majority here thinks it's by far the worst song on War.

Worst song on War? I think it's one of the worst songs they've ever done.

I even keep coming back to it, to see if my tastes have change, or to see if it's grown on me, or to see if I can appreciate it more.

Nope.

Definitely underrated. There are 3 worse songs on War than Red Light- Surrender, Two Hearts, Like A Song.

The background singers singing "Da, da, da" in that fake cool American way always pissed me off. So bad '80s!

Definitely underrated. There are 3 worse songs on War than Red Light- Surrender, Two Hearts, Like A Song.

I've always loved "Like a Song". I think it should be played on this tour instead of tired old "Sunday Bloody Sunday". One of the absolute best on the album.

Yeah, no. Not a good song. It's one of the handful that really make me dislike listening to War at all and frequently gets skipped.

Good lord. You are quite possibly the only poster who I strongly disagree with every time, no matter what the topic is. Well done, sir. Have a medal made out of the finest scraps from my bin.

Yeah, the forum needed an Anti-Axver. Keeps things in balance.

It's a pretty bad song and didn't fit on War. Then again, I don't think I'd fit on any of their albums. :wink: I still find myself listening to it a lot though. :lol:

Me too!!
It's not a great song but not half as offensive to my ears as Walk On or Miracle Drug.

I don't see anything bad about this song, I like it. also those female backing vocals.

The background singers singing "Da, da, da" in that fake cool American way always pissed me off. So bad '80s!
Uh, they sound American cos they ARE American? They're the Cocoanuts from Kid Creole and the Cocoanuts.

And how this song is judged worse than The Refugee I not quite understand....

Surrender?! That song is in my personal top five U2 songs of all time. Wow, just goes to show how truly whacky some of you people are. :)

Surrender?! That song is in my personal top five U2 songs of all time. Wow, just goes to show how truly whacky some of you people are. :)
That's a great standard to live by. Anyone who disagrees with you is whacky ;)

I don't like the song much either, but I do think it contributes to a certain atmosphere on the album. And I actually do think it fits on War.

Like a song is one of the reasons this album is on my mp3 player.

Like a song ..... What a song . It should be included as part of the " early years " part of the concert . Listen to them , just imagine edge and adam going each side of larry and " rocking out " the last 1min 10 secs ... while bono is off doing what he does .. changes shirt or gets into character for next song ...

I prefer it to Like A Song, The Refugee, Two Hearts and feel it is on the same level as '40' and Surrender.

Or here's a fucking thought. How about we stop comparing a song to other song and for once listen to a song for what it is. We do the same with humans, why not for songs then? why do we have this urge to rate things so badly? So what if it's not the Streets without any names, or no WOWY? Not every song has to be an epic. The song is a bloody good one. So what if Bono sounds like a puberty child? he sounds like that now sometimes. Or what if the backing vocals seem silly? which I don't think they are. The song is a unique, extravagant, splanchnic beast. The fact that some of you idiots, casual U2 listeners, and the mainstream don't like it makes the song even better, more exclusive.

I'm thinking one person forms an opinion about a song and suddenly every one flocks about onto that opinion. How can the whole Interference be so one-sided on a good song like this.

*armor-plated suit + tie; double kevlar layered flame suit on*

Red Light is one of my favourite songs on War. Musically and lyrically I think it's great; maybe not ranked with their absolute best work, but a gem of a song that showcases the band's talent effectively. I think Bono sounds quite good, actually, and his vocal style suits the song. The only qualm I have with the song is the horn which can be slightly intrusive at parts, but otherwise it's bloomin' brilliant. Just my opinion, of course.

Back
Top Bottom