Re-Rank All That You Can't Leave Behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We can at least all agree that this was the last great period for non-album material, eh? Hardly a winning B-side or leftover track since and most of the singles from the last ten years were loaded with dull remixes...

Summer Rain...Levitate...Ground Beneath Her Feet...Always...Flower Child...Stateless, etc. I also don't have anything against fans saying the album would be better with half the tracks switched out for this material...it's really just down to personal taste as these non-album tracks are pretty strong across the board.

Are you kidding?

Levitate is a complete mess
Summer rain - most generic song of all times
Smile - there is something in it, but it sounds a bit like Hawkmoon rip off
Flower Child - isn´t it John Lennon cover? It would be helpful if it would be 2:30, but why the heck it goes for so long???

Ground Beneath Her Feet, Statless - not ATYCLB songs

I would say together with Pop period it´s their last productive time.

Since 2001 it's pretty much just been Fast Cars, Smile, Mercy, Are You Gonna Wait Forever, NLOTH2 and The Crystal Ballroom. Six good non-album tracks in 13 years.

Agreed. It could have been 7 good non-album tracks but the band knocked it out of the park with Every Breaking Wave.

Grace is the shit. And yes, the "the" is meant to be there. When will you all appreciate this gem?

1) In A Little While
2) When I Look At The World
3) Stuck
4) Beautiful Day
5) Walk On
6) P.O.E.
7) New York
8) Grace
9) Elevation
10) Kite
11) Wild Honey

It's kind of funny that the Grammys named "Walk On" the best record of an entire year and a lot of posters here could give a fuck.

Walk On is a great song. Don't know why this board always rips their popular songs.....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Walk On is a classic. Love the song and I'm actually surprised it didn't become a radio hit....can't believe it.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Walk On has an ache to it that transcends it above being a typical naughties U2 arena song. On paper I shouldn't like it, but there's like a coldness embedded in the music somewhere. I can't really describe it.

The "home" part is what elevates it above U2 parody -- that's where the ache is, and it complicates the song beautifully.

Also, is smashing live, and was visually quite beautiful on the elevation tour what with the writing projected throughout the arena.

Sent from

The "home" part is what elevates it above U2 parody -- that's where the ache is, and it complicates the song beautifully.

Also, is smashing live, and was visually quite beautiful on the elevation tour what with the writing projected throughout the arena.

I was going to mention that, as it's my favorite part of the song.

Walk On sounded just fine closing off the Live from Slane Castle concert.
It really fit the mood of that special night.

Do you guys prefer the Album Version or the US Version featuring the Hallelujah passage at the end?

I love both versions as well. But best live version is the one for the 9/11 benefit concert. It's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1. Beautiful Day
2. Kite
3. Walk On (The live version with Wake Up Dead Man leading in is awesome. Wish they would combine those two live again)
4. When I Look At The World
5. Stuck in a Moment
6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
7. New York
8. Elevation
9. In A Little While
10. Wild Honey
11. Peace on Earth
12. Grace

1. Kite
2. Beautiful Day
3. When I Look At The World
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. In A Little While
6. Elevation
7. Walk On
8. New York
9. Stuck in a Moment
10. Wild Honey
11. Peace on Earth
12. Grace

In terms of songs, 'Beautiful Day' and 'In a Little While' tower over the rest of the record. Everything works on these two tracks.

After that, it's a long way down.

I think the songwriting is quite good on this album -- maybe at average level for U2 -- but the 'sound' of the album is poor. In terms of production and mixing, it's an obvious attempt to 'pop-up' their sound for younger listeners and whatever was left of AM radio. This is also the first album where we heard songs that are U2 trying to sound like U2 ('Walk On' first among them), which is always a bit sad.

I think 'Grace' is a good song, a solid composition. I even like the way they arranged and recorded it here.

The love-affair this forum has with 'Kite' passes me by completely. It's a passable tune and has some impressive singing. But the lyrics are beyond cheeseball and into the territory usually occupied by female pop divas.

I think the songwriting is quite good on this album -- maybe at average level for U2 -- but the 'sound' of the album is poor. In terms of production and mixing, it's an obvious attempt to 'pop-up' their sound for younger listeners and whatever was left of AM radio. This is also the first album where we heard songs that are U2 trying to sound like U2 ('Walk On' first among them), which is always a bit sad.

I think 'Grace' is a good song, a solid composition. I even like the way they arranged and recorded it here.

The love-affair this forum has with 'Kite' passes me by completely. It's a passable tune and has some impressive singing. But the lyrics are beyond cheeseball and into the territory usually occupied by female pop divas.

DITTO :up:

Back
Top Bottom