Rattle & Hum, all studio dream tracklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Considering all the great b-sides and unreleased material from this era, this could have been a solid studio album...

my R&H:

Side One
1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Van Diemen's Land
3. Desire
4. She's a Mystery to Me
5. Angel of Harlem
6. All I Want Is You

Side Two
7. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
8. Slow Dancing
9. When Love Comes to Town
10. Hallelujah Here She Comes
11. God Part II
12. Heartland

Silver and Gold isn't my cup of tea, and I can't find a spot for Love Rescue Me, but the rest... Ahh, to dream...

I agree with your central thesis, but if I wanted to nitpick I'd drop "Room at the Heartbreak Hotel" and stick "Love Rescue Me" (which I love) back on there somewhere. I'd also pull "When Loves Comes to Town" which I think works fine as a single but is somehow unwieldy on the album, and I might add their covers of "Everlasting Love" or "Dancing Barefoot", both of which were rather wonderful.

I always thought the live "Helter Skelter" worked perfectly off the top of the album, so I would actually keep that. It's kind of a sign that "anything can happen on this U2 album", and it clears the decks of any kind of Joshua-Tree-Part-Two expectations that listeners might have brought to it.

However you wanna slice it, the double-album mix of live + studio just didn't really work though, I concur. One thing lost to our age, however, is that they did plan it as 4-sides of a vinyl record, which I suppose changes the "flow" of the original album a lot.

I agree with your central thesis, but if I wanted to nitpick I'd drop "Room at the Heartbreak Hotel" and stick "Love Rescue Me" (which I love) back on there somewhere. I'd also pull "When Loves Comes to Town" which I think works fine as a single but is somehow unwieldy on the album, and I might add their covers of "Everlasting Love" or "Dancing Barefoot", both of which were rather wonderful.

I agree.. Love Rescue Me is great. but I love the vocals in "Room," especially at the start of the chorus.. maybe I'd drop "Hallelujah" for Love Rescue Me.

It's tricky keeping it to 12 songs...

I'm one of the very few people on Interference who likes Love Rescue Me quite alot; lyrically it's pretty interesting and Bono's vocals at the end are incredible, so I'd probably put it in place of She's A Mystery.

I'd also swap All I Want Is You and Heartland around. For me, the former works perfectly as an album closer.

i'm on my laptop, but i'll post mine later. it's nice now that i've found VDL with no fade out. and Hawkmoon is a perfect opener.

Well, 'Wild Irish Rose' was probably recorded well after Rattle & Hum (like nearly a year later, I think), so it shouldn't really be fair game. Then again, a few of those B-sides might have been recorded after the album too; I don't know.

Think I read somewhere once that Bono plays the guitar solos on 'Dancing Barefoot' -- can anyone confirm this?

Well, 'Wild Irish Rose' was probably recorded well after Rattle & Hum (like nearly a year later, I think), so it shouldn't really be fair game. Then again, a few of those B-sides might have been recorded after the album too; I don't know.

Think I read somewhere once that Bono plays the guitar solos on 'Dancing Barefoot' -- can anyone confirm this?

Well after? Yes and no. "Wild Irish Rose" was recorded in 1990 but it was written during their time in Los Angeles mixing the album and movie soundtrack (1988).

The song was inspired by the inhabitant in and around the "Million Dollar Hotel. It was during this time that Bono began thinking up the ideas for the script.

01. When Love Comes To Town
02. Angel Of Harlem
03. Desire
04. Hawkmoon 269
05. Heartland
06. God Part II
07. She's Gonna Blow Your House Down (that's originally from these sessions, right?)
08. She's A Mystery To Me
09. Van Diemen's Land
10. All I Want Is You

Drop Slow Dancing

:sad: I love Slow Dancing, such a simple yet beautiful song. No shiny guitar-effects or anything like that, just pure talent at its best.

As much as I like the epic, shimmering sound U2 can produce they could use more of these simple songs. Just vocals, an acoustic and perhaps a piano. That's why I like White as Snow so much. :heart:

01. When Love Comes To Town

No offense to you, but this would probably be the worse opening to a U2 album ever... If didn't have BB in it, the song wouldn't have been worth putting on the album to begin with, plus it has such an abrupt and akward opening to begin with...

:sad: I love Slow Dancing, such a simple yet beautiful song. No shiny guitar-effects or anything like that, just pure talent at its best.

As much as I like the epic, shimmering sound U2 can produce they could use more of these simple songs. Just vocals, an acoustic and perhaps a piano. That's why I like White as Snow so much. :heart:

Yes, but I say drop it because one; even though it was written around this time I don't think it was recorded then, and two the very stripped down version I think would just stick out like a sore thumb.

No offense to you, but this would probably be the worse opening to a U2 album ever... If didn't have BB in it, the song wouldn't have been worth putting on the album to begin with, plus it has such an abrupt and akward opening to begin with...

It'd be my least favourite song on the album, for sure, and maybe a little bit abrupt, but it's a good throwaway pop single (like Vertigo, Elevation, etc.). It'd be a quick way to say, "Hey, the Joshua Tree was something... and we're not doing that this time."

i'm on my laptop, but i'll post mine later. it's nice now that i've found VDL with no fade out. and Hawkmoon is a perfect opener.

where did you get the Van Diemen's land with no fade out from ???

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Van Diemen's Land
3. Desire
4. Hallelujah Here She Comes
5. God Part II
6. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
7. Angel of Harlem
8. Love Rescue Me
9. When Love Comes to Town
10. Heartland
11. All I Want is You

Been listening to R&H this way for years.

VDL with no fade out is from the film. I mixed the intro and ending from the film with the studio to get a full version of the track.

Yes, I am that much of a geek. :ohmy:

Wild Irish Rose is a great song...but I always pictured it on Joshua Tree, as opposed to Rattle and Hum.

And I've been coming to these message boards for quite a while now, but some things slip past me...what's a fruitleg?

It'd be my least favourite song on the album, for sure, and maybe a little bit abrupt, but it's a good throwaway pop single (like Vertigo, Elevation, etc.). It'd be a quick way to say, "Hey, the Joshua Tree was something... and we're not doing that this time."

Desire did a DAMN good job of doing that, without being throwaway!

Desire did a DAMN good job of doing that, without being throwaway!

Desire wasn't the opening track on the actual album, though. Is it a bad thing to have a single that isn't the lead single first on an album?

I don't know when it became the custom to do that.... The best albums didn't.... WOWY didn't open JT. The Fly didn't open Achtung Baby... etc etc etc

Exactly. Which is why Rattle & Hum shouldn't. You're making my argument for me. Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom