Rattle And Hum 25th Anniversary Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think u2 should be off the hook for the supposed idea that they were putting themselves on the level of the immortals at the time. Since they kinda, ya know, became immortals themselves. Ill bet a ton of money, that critics who nailed them for that in 1988 were counting on the fact the band would not transcend the 80s and look even dumber that they thought they had become rock royalty. And to be fair to those critics, transcending time and the pop fads is not easy. And u2 would have looked like the dumbest band in history had their run ended after rattle and hum. If Ab completely tanked, u2 would be, not a footnote , but not that much then that if that was the swan song of the groups popularity . A cult group that had a few hits, then a big break though album, then decided to make a movie and album that stated we are legends, just put us in the hall of fame right now. Then the they never mattered again. eh, would have been laughable.

I think u2 should be off the hook for the supposed idea that they were putting themselves on the level of the immortals at the time. Since they kinda, ya know, became immortals themselves. Ill bet a ton of money, that critics who nailed them for that in 1988 were counting on the fact the band would not transcend the 80s and look even dumber that they thought they had become rock royalty. And to be fair to those critics, transcending time and the pop fads is not easy. And u2 would have looked like the dumbest band in history had their run ended after rattle and hum. If Ab completely tanked, u2 would be, not a footnote , but not that much then that if that was the swan song of the groups popularity . A cult group that had a few hits, then a big break though album, then decided to make a movie and album that stated we are legends, just put us in the hall of fame right now. Then the they never mattered again. eh, would have been laughable.

Being older, I was a fan for quite some time when R&H was released. And I have to be honest, I really don't recall this egotistical aspect of U2 at all then. I recall some saying the songs were too dark (which I feel is fair). I even recall some saying that R&H doesn't "sound" like U2 (and in some ways, this is also fair, even if a bit premature). But I don't recall U2 ever saying, "We are royalty, this is why we are with B.B. King and Dylan." Instead, I felt it was an extension of JT. JT was U2's view of the Americas, especially the U.S. While JT was more political, R&H was more about exploring the soul of the U.S., the history of that musical sound. And what better way to do this than work with some of the greats? I don't recall Dylan saying, "who the f*ck do these punks think they are?" I don't recall King saying, "Well, I did U2 a favor.". Instead, it seemed these artists WANTED to work with U2 - just like Neil Young worked with Pearl Jam.

Pre-JT, Bono was recording with members of the Stones. Nothing was said then. And over the years, U2 have continued working with the greats. I think part of it is because U2 are respected by many in the music industry. No one band is loved by all - but there's enough respect that these other artists WANT to work with U2.

So, I just don't get it. Yeah, the movie came across unintentionally hilarious in parts. What was a moment in a concert is now immortalized forever. That's the problem with recording something. But it also captures U2 then. And that was part of the goal - to help fans around the world experience some of U2 in a live setting. But I never got that ego part (this is not to say that Bono and clan don't have a healthy ego - but I don't feel that was the goal of R&H, despite what completely useless music critics say).

I have nothing to add here except...

-R&H came out on my 16th birthday.

-I remember MTV playing the shit out of Desire as well as the Hollywood Remix.

Just bumping this, because it's already been five years, and Rattle And Hum just turned 30. I figured why start a new thread, when I'd say everything I already said here. I'd change the thread title to indicate '30th', but I can't.

So let's appreciate the album/film all over again!

It’s disheartening to think that U2 still aren’t fond of this era. Objectively if you listen to those shows they are some of U2’s greatest ever. They were in devasting form. And then there’s the set list variety; something they never did before or after. A unique and special tour. Pity that the band themselves don’t seem to see it that way.

I still say that the final show of the tour, January 10 1990, is their greatest ever.

he said the band isn't fond of r&h, not that the fans aren't.

i always skip the live tracks but the new studio songs are among their best. heartland and all i want is you are 10/10 songs and most of the rest are pretty close too in my opinion.

Sometime in the next week I am going to watch the R&H movie. I haven't watched it in at least 15 years. I watched some of the live clips on youtube all the time, "Exit" and "Bad" being my favorites. Some of it I can barely remember. I vaguely remember at one point Edge is looking at the Mississippi River with wonderment in his eyes. I probably watched it once a month as a teen in the mid-late 90's.

I really, REALLY want a pro-shot show from the 89 tour. That's probably the #1 item on my wishlist.

I probably watched it once a month as a teen in the mid-late 90's.

Same. Except it was early 90s for me. I watched it last week and it felt like it was yesterday, when I was first seeing it in the cinema. That version of Bad remains mesmerising to this day. And ‘stars’ in WOWY. I was surprised by the emotion and intense familiarity I felt, after all these years. Total emotional time travel!

he said the band isn't fond of r&h, not that the fans aren't.

i always skip the live tracks but the new studio songs are among their best. heartland and all i want is you are 10/10 songs and most of the rest are pretty close too in my opinion.

Ah, you're right...I inserted 'fans' after U2...:doh:

I agree with your assessment on the songs...R&H and Pop are their least favorite albums, which is a shame since they both shine in certain moments...critical backlash seems to be the driving factor in their feelings re: those two discs.

Used to watch R+H on every road trip my family would take when I was a kid. The Heartland and Streets segments are some of my favorite moment from the band. Nothing will top Bono's impassioned speech against the IRA and the Troubles though. One of the main influences that got me interested into politics, history, and international affairs.

Back
Top Bottom