Rate the Song Series: The Wanderer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate The Wanderer

• Total voters
if i can't decide on a score from 10 i go back to 5, and i couldn't give it a 3, so a 2.5 into a 5 it is.

nice music, cool vocals, but nothing more.

Eight. I'm regretting now not giving it a nine, though, for the brilliant live version.

Ten.

I've come to appreciate this song a lot more in the last couple years. Beautiful melodies and great little electronic touches from Eno. I'd still like to hear a studio version with Bono singing, though I do think Cash's vocal is damn good. I don't get why they've only played it that one time, since they proved the can pull it off very nicely.

Oh, and the alarm at the end used to scare the ever-loving crap out of my 13 year old self after I would fall asleep listening to Zooropa.

People giving this a 0 is perhaps the most baffling thing I've ever seen on Interference. And that's saying something.

People giving this a 0 is perhaps the most baffling thing I've ever seen on Interference. And that's saying something.

I don't see why it's so shocking. Johnny Cash sung it, not Bono.
This is no disrespect to Johnny Cash before anyone assumes

What I am getting at is that we are all U2 fans here, but not all of us are fans of Johnny Cash, and like to keep U2 and Johnny Cash separate!

the wanderer is another 10
great closer of a quality musical product: opus zooropa :up::up::up:
enjoy johnny cash stash at lonestar cafe/queenstown n.z. and after the meal have a nice mai tai at the cocktail bar with the sound of the wanderer:up:

I'm no fan of Johnny Cash, but I like his work on The Wanderer a lot. :shrug:

Exactly this. I've always thought he had an amazing voice, but the music just didn't get to me. Now, that's where The Wanderer is a great song. Johnny Cash's voice + U2's music and Bono's lyrics.
I gave this a 9, by the way.

And I still think giving this a 0 is completely ridiculous, I don't care what the argument is, this is not a 0 song. It's just not.

When I first heard it I didn't like it because I hadn't listened to a lot of Johnny Cash before that and wasn't used to his singing style. Now I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan (not because of this song - it took his covers of "Hurt" and "Personal Jesus" to convert me), but getting into The Man in Black did improve my opinion of "The Wanderer" considerably. I give it a 7.

What I am getting at is that we are all U2 fans here, but not all of us are fans of Johnny Cash, and like to keep U2 and Johnny Cash separate!

So, I guess we should give "In the Name of the Father" a zero because we hear Gavin Friday?

I do wish people could be a little more critically-objective with these ratings. I mean, to my way of thinking, if the song has anything at all going for it (one good verse, a memorable tune, a good vocal, a nice guitar-lick) then it automatically gets more than a '0' (which is why multiple people giving "One" a zero was idiotic to say the least, but don't get me started on that again.)

Since we can't really trust voters to have any objectivity about these ratings, I think if somebody does this in the future, it would work better to do the ratings as 1-2-3 or 1-2-3-4, just to reduce the margin of passive/aggressive hate people have on certain songs.

So, I guess we should give "In the Name of the Father" a zero because we hear Gavin Friday?

I do wish people could be a little more critically-objective with these ratings. I mean, to my way of thinking, if the song has anything at all going for it (one good verse, a memorable tune, a good vocal, a nice guitar-lick) then it automatically gets more than a '0' (which is why multiple people giving "One" a zero was idiotic to say the least, but don't get me started on that again.)

Since we can't really trust voters to have any objectivity about these ratings, I think if somebody does this in the future, it would work better to do the ratings as 1-2-3 or 1-2-3-4, just to reduce the margin of passive/aggressive hate people have on certain songs.

ARGH.

People are entitled to give the Wander 0. Whether anyone likes that or not. Full stop.

Back
Top Bottom