Rare Live-Only Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derrick_rossign

Acrobat
Hello all, I am looking for a bit of help. Could you help me complete my list of original U2 songs that were never recorded in studio but were played live?

The only songs I can think of right now are:
I Love You/We Love You (live form Antwerp)
Womanfish (help me with the date?)

Please help me with this, thank you very much.

All dates for Lucille: U2 Lucille - U2 on tour

Womanfish was 30 January 1986.

Others:
1. Father Is An Elephant, multiple dates in November 1980.
2. Carry Me Home, 9 June 1981.
3. She's A Mystery To Me (obviously a marginal call given Orbison's studio version), multiple dates from 30 December 1989 to the Vertigo Tour, most snippets but some full performances.

Then of course you have pre-Boy stuff. When you say not recorded in the studio, do you mean that quite strictly, regardless of whether or not said studio recording was ever officially released or even leaked in bootleg form? Because a lot of the pre-Boy songs were recorded, they just weren't released. So I won't list them just yet.

All dates for Lucille: U2 Lucille - U2 on tour

Womanfish was 30 January 1986.

Others:
1. Father Is An Elephant, multiple dates in November 1980.
2. Carry Me Home, 9 June 1981.
3. She's A Mystery To Me (obviously a marginal call given Orbison's studio version), multiple dates from 30 December 1989 to the Vertigo Tour, most snippets but some full performances.

Then of course you have pre-Boy stuff. When you say not recorded in the studio, do you mean that quite strictly, regardless of whether or not said studio recording was ever officially released or even leaked in bootleg form? Because a lot of the pre-Boy songs were recorded, they just weren't released. So I won't list them just yet.

Yeah, I have all of the pre-Boy studio stuff. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, I have all of the pre-Boy studio stuff. Thanks for your help!

Cool. In addition to the pre-Boy studio stuff, there were more songs done live. To the best of my knowledge, there are no studio versions in circulation of the followng pre-Boy songs that were played live (and you may have recordings of some already):

1. Cartoon World: multiple 1979-80 dates, and now we all have a live version on the Boy remaster.
2. Concentration Cramp: multiple dates in 1979. Unfortunately, no known bootleg, but some lyrics are floating around.
3. Pete The Chop: multiple shows in 1980, reborn as Treasure in the studio. I am pretty sure that a studio version of the original probably exists but isn't in circulation.
4. Silver Lining: Early version of 11 O'clock Tick Tock only done live.
5. The King's New Clothes: played at Cork, 5 October 1979, and probably other dates.
6. The Speed Of Life: The studio version on the Boy remaster is instrumental but the live version had lyrics, hence I'm including it here.
7. "The TV Song" is a song mentioned in U2 By U2 that they played at the Harp Lager Talent Contest in 1979, so named because of its resemblance to the sound of the band Television. Alas, no recording exists.
8. What's Going On was an original song written when the band were The Hype, distinct from the Marvin Gaye track covered on the Elevation Tour. Known to have been played at one show in 1977. No recording of this exists either.

Isn't every song ever recorded sung live in a studio??? Worst post ever.

While I don't agree with the last part of your post, I do agree with the first part. If you use this as a standard EVERY song is sung live. :shrug: makes no sense!

While I don't agree with the last part of your post, I do agree with the first part. If you use this as a standard EVERY song is sung live. :shrug: makes no sense!

I'm just guessing here, but I think they mean the vocal was recorded on one take. No loops, overdubbing, re dos, etc.. Bono does single verses, choruses and words of a song and meshes them together in the studio quite often if not most of the time.

I don't think one take necessarily qualifies as live either. But I think I get the jist of what was trying to be communicated. The concept is similiar to me at least.

Back
Top Bottom