Ranking U2's Albums: Best to worst - Slate.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, upon the Achtung Baby 20 year re-release, it was U2 themselves who relegated Zooropa to a mere bonus disc of extra material, as if Zooropa was for them just a passible EP like Wide Awake In America or so.
To me, not only it's their best album - teaming with Achtung Baby - but also the album whose songs best stood the test of time. What I mean is that most Zooropa songs could've been released today (even by any forgettable indie band) and it would sound perfectly current, something modern - as much as I love most U2 catalogue, I can't say the same about 80 or so of U2's oldest repertoire, even if I still love it.

To me, that says a lot about how U2 see themselves, but also about what they want for their future.

Agreed.

I also feel that Zooropa is the best mixed and best sounding of all U2 albums, it all just sounds so clean and clear. Beautiful.

360 Tour already focused more on the 90s than on either of the other 2 decades.

What? For the very last leg, maybe. When they were playing 4 songs a night from ATYCLB, 6 from NLOTH and 2 from HTDAAB, I don't exactly think the 90s were taking center stage. 4 from Achtung Baby, 1 from Zooropa, 1 from Passengers, 0 from Pop and HMTMKMKM was probably the most common distribution. There were some 2nd leg shows with a whopping 3 (three!) 90s songs.

When they ramped it up on the final leg in the wake of the Achtung Baby remaster, a common distribution was 9 90s songs, 8 00s songs and 7 80s songs, which is actually quite balanced.

Last edited:
The first show (and many following it) of 360 actually had just two 90s songs: One and Ultraviolet.

It actually makes me sad how underrated Zooropa is (not on this forum, but the rest of the world). Over time it's become my second favorite after Joshua Tree. It's experimental as all Hell, and even has a heart. Yes, to all the naysayers, this album packs emotion if you give it a chance. I find Lemon to be quite the emotional song. As well as The First Time and Dirty Day. And Stay is the best straight up love song they've ever done, made better by its otherworldly production, which transcends it above being just a love song. And the 2nd half of the title track? It's like the Where The Streets Have No Name of the 90's! And Daddy's Gonna Pay? U2 meets industrial meets club music? The sick ass guitar solo on Some Days? An arcade sounding bass backing up Johnny Cash? How could anyone not love this album?

Zooropa is my absolute favourite. It's consistent, challenging, interesting, tuneful and lyrically brilliant. Knocks Achtung Baby into a cocked hat, too. Can't quite understand the love for AB that many on here have; it's good, but I can't quite see what's so radical about it. Zooropa on the other hand - just the drums on "Daddy's gonna pay", well, hearing that from the (then) Biggest Band in the World™ is still genuinely exciting.

I think some of you are misunderstanding the band's quotes about Zooropa. Bono should probably stop using the word "hits", Edge is closer by using the word "classics". And he's right, the album doesn't have any songs that are remembered by anyone outside their core audience or MTV watchers from the early 90's. Every great U2 album, hell I would say every U2 album has at least one song that's remembered by pop culture except Zooropa, Pop, and NLOTH.

It's a brilliant album, but outside us it didn't really resonate. In fact I know some that think it sounds quite dated.

Every great U2 album, hell I would say every U2 album has at least one song that's remembered by pop culture except Zooropa, Pop, and NLOTH.

Oh, I think Discothèque is probably remembered by pop culture...though perhaps not in the way U2 would like. :)

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with your comment.

A good read to be sure but he missed the plot slightly with ATYCLB...

Telling that he misquotes the lyric “Home, that's where the heart is" when it's actually “Home, that's where the HURT is."

There was a darkness beneath a lot of the light on that album (or the other way around?)

Well, sorry to ruin the song for you! ;) I don't know if he sang it live as "hurt" or not. But U2 got pretty saccharine in the 2000s. You cannot escape that fact. :p

And hurt actually makes sense in the context of the video...with people literally running away from home...and obviously the house arrest situation for Aung San Suu Kyi. It's a masterful lyric really, especially the resigned way Bono states "that's where the hurt is..."

I stand corrected then. But many lyric sites state it as "heart" and I've always personally sung it as heart.

Many lyric websites are bullshit. One person types what they hear and then the others copy and paste. Over the years I've seen some truly butchered songs.

Back
Top Bottom