Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 1: Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the record, I think it was Cori who made the comment about wanting to be able to write about her passion/love for songs. I could ramble on and on about them, ;) lol.

:doh: :banghead:...oh, crap, I am so sorry. I completely read something wrong somewhere, obviously. But for the record, I think cori writes excellent posts about stuff she's passionate about, I always enjoy her comments on this site :).

Thank you for reading that, I know it's pretty rambly.

LOL. Eh, get me rolling on a topic and I can get rambly, too, so it's cool. You're welcome, I enjoyed the story. I love hearing people talk about why they enjoy the music they do.

Angela

Oh, I haven't been to this forum for some days and now I see such interesting themes! Like ones like that. TheEdge25, thank you. I'll join you, OK? Moreover not long ago I listened to all U2 albums and I have something to say about every one of them, though I don't know the creation of U2 much and still the preferences can change again and again.

To say about Zooropa:

Outstanding/Masterpieces:

1 - Stay/Faraway, so close! - I agree with the majority of people: really the best song from the album. As I remember by now, exactly this song improved me to listen to U2 again, after what I loved them again, and more, than before.:love:
2 - Babyface - Beautiful track. That's strange that it wasn't released as a single.
3 - Dirty day - Even at first listening to the album, when I didn't like it at all, I remembered this song. Now I love it, especially in live version from ZOO TV. The ending of the song is so powerful.:hyper:
4 - Zooropa - When I listen to this track, I remember such songs as "Stairway to heaven" in case of uncustom kind of structure of the song.
5 - Numb - A bit strange, no ordinary song. One of the most experimental songs of U2. Love it.

Just good.

6 - Lemon - Quite good track.
7 - Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car - Sounds like some kind of having fun, but good. Love that "a-ha, sha-la".:applaud:
8 - The first time - Ballad...

Don't like.

9 - The wardener - I was suprised by the fact that U2 are not singing here and that this part of work did Johnny Cash. But I don't like the track not because of him, but because the track at all don't impress me. I like only its ending played by guitar (?). Listening to this song, I understand what was meant by the phrase in Wikipedia that, initially, the album was planned as an EP.
10 - Some days are better than others - Don't like the song at all.:angry:

Speaking of that EP...which songs were planned for the EP before Zooropa became an album ?

"But I didn't throw away the key"

It gave me that sense that, sometimes, we sheep will stray, but as long as we keep the faith, then the mansion is still there waiting. Pretty much, it gave me the understanding that I don't have to be perfect, in other words.

Yes, I've heard before. I still shudder at the thought.

:). I'm seriously going to do it, for the record.

liked what you wrote about the first time.

not sure if it was the same all the way through the tour but he settled on the line being:

"and i threw away the key, and only grace can give it back to me." i always loved the song, but that line cemented it as one my favorites. i always listen the the live version with the changed line all the time now. your interpretation still stands, but i think its even more appropriate with the grace line.

Speaking of that EP...which songs were planned for the EP before Zooropa became an album ?

I don't know, unfortunately.:doh:But I hope someone here knows it.

1 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
2 - Lemon
3 - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
4 - Dirty Day
5 - Zooropa
6 - Some Days
7 - The First Time
8 - Baby face
9 - Numb
10 - The Wanderer

This is going to be tough.

1. Stay
2. Numb
3. Lemon
4. Some Days Are Better Than Others
5. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, aha shala!
6. The First Time
7. Zooropa
8. Babyface
9. Dirty Day
10. The Wanderer

It's been aaaages since I've sat down and listened to this all the way through.

I like Babyface more than I remembered.

Timeless U2 masterpieces, top 10 U2 has ever done:
1. Zooropa
2. Lemon
3. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Very good U2 songs:
4. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
5. The Wanderer
Good U2 songs:
6. Dirty Day
7. Numb
8. The First Time
9. Some Days Are Better Than Others
10. Babyface

I don't think it worked that way, as in, I don't think they ever planned to release an EP. I don't think they planned anything, they just found themselves on a real burst during a tour break, and after a while they thought "maybe there's an EP in this" and then a little while later "actually, think it might be a whole album".

Daddy's gonna PAY!

:eek:

Tops

1. Zooropa - What do you want? :drool:
2. Lemon
3. The First Time - Seeing this live probably brought it up quite a few spots.
4. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Middles

5. Dirty Day - Eeeeeeeasy #1 Live, but if by some miracle a full version of Zooropa is ever played live may have to reconsider :pray: :lol:
6. Numb - Have another grape
7. Babyface
8. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
9. The Wanderer

Bottoms (Not the Zoo Station instrumental kind)

10. Some Days Are Better Than Others

Mixed reactions about this one, one of my least favorite albums, though it's a good one.

MOST LISTENED
1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
2. Lemon
3. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
4. The First Time
5. Zooropa
LEAST LISTENED
6. Numb
7. Babyface
8. Some Days Are Better Than Others
9. Dirty Day
10. The Wanderer

Epic
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Personal favorite
The First Time

Good for one tour
Numb
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car

Filler
Lemon
Zooropa
Babyface
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Dirty Day
The Wanderer

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
2. Zooropa
3. Lemon
4. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
5. The First Time
6. Some Days Are Better Than Others
7. Babyface
8. Numb
9. Dirty Day
10. The Wanderer

This album is the one I always kick myself for not listening to more . . . I just seem to forget that it's there . . . but the upside to that, it always feels like an undiscovered gem :up:

1 - Zooropa 10/10
2 - The First Time 9/10
3 - Lemon 8/10
4 - Stay (Faraway, So Close) 7/10
5 - Babyface 7/10
6 - Dirty Day 7/10
7 - Numb 6/10
8 - The Wanderer 6/10
9 - Some Days Are Better Than Others 5/10
10 - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car 4/10

1. Lemon- powerful song and bizzare, love it
2. Stay- love the passioned Boston elevation version
3. the first time
4. the wanderer
5. daddys gonna pay for your crashed car
6. some days
7. dirty day
8. babyface
9. numb
10 zooropa

1. Stay
2. Zooropa
3. Lemon
4. Some Days
5. Numb
6. Dirty Day
7. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
8. The First Time
9. Babyface
10. The Wanderer

This was an album that pulled me through my sophomore year in college... An experimental and underated album in my opinion!

1. Dirty Day

2. The second half of Zooropa
3. Stay
4. Lemon

5. Daddy's Gonna Pay
6. The First Time
7. The Wanderer
8. Babyface
9. Some Days Are Better Than Others

10. Numb

I remember getting Zooropa for Christmas my senior year of high school, Xmas of 2002. By that time I was already about a year into my love for the band, and I was still completing my album collection. The only albums I was missing at this point were Zooropa, TUF, and Pop. Of course I was ecstatic, and rushed up to my bedroom to put the CD on. From that opening clamor of voices of the title track, I got through about half the album, up to Stay I think--I and couldn't listen to it anymore. I just didn't get it. There were no sounds on there that reminded me of, or remotely sounded like, the U2 I loved. I remember listening to the other half of it later that day, and having the same reaction. The only song I actually liked was Dirty Day, which to this day remains in my top ten U2 songs. But other than that, I felt no need to listen to the album again, and away it went for quite a few years. I never listened to it, ever.

It still remains my least favorite U2 album to this day, just because of that weird sense of disconnectedness the entire album has, and the lack of any signature chiming Edge melodies or heavy guitar parts that I was used to with the other albums. Recently, I've begun warming to it, especially the second half of the title track, which I now think is really great, Lemon, and Stay (which I absolutely hated up until a couple years ago). I really don't mind all of the other tracks either now. But it's still probably going to take a while, or maybe never, for me to really warm to it the way I have with all their other albums.

1. Stay
2. Zooropa
3. Babyface
4. Dirty Day
5. Lemon
6. Some Days are Better Than Others
7. Numb
8. Daddy's Gonna Pay...
9. The First Time
10. The Wanderer <- Just NO.

liked what you wrote about the first time.

not sure if it was the same all the way through the tour but he settled on the line being:

"and i threw away the key, and only grace can give it back to me." i always loved the song, but that line cemented it as one my favorites. i always listen the the live version with the changed line all the time now. your interpretation still stands, but i think its even more appropriate with the grace line.

Oh wow, that's even better. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom