Rank the Tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trevgreg said:
Call me glib, but can you or any others kind of expand on that a bit? For those of us that missed out on the 80's shows, what did we miss out on in particular that we didn't get at any of the shows over the past 22 years or so? Song performances, more/less emotional, more/less political, what exactly?

That's not a cut on the 80's shows either, I'm just genuinely curious! :)

Just watch the Under a Blood Red Sky DVD.

Yeah, it was a little hard to attend with me not being born until 1987.

And I know the 360 shows had politics, but it was more "Please help these unfortunate people," and not so much uptight, self-righteous preaching. Even though I'm sure that's not how it was all the time throughout the 80s, that's the impression I get from the material I've seen, particularly from the JT era. Bono really did need to chill out. He must have been totally unbearable.

Well, look, I don't blame you, or anyone who wasn't around then for not seeing those tours. Nothing's more boring than talking about how great X band was back in the day....U2 included.

I only commented because I thought your characterisation of the 80's shows as merely being "screaming and politics" was a little harsh, and certainly inaccurate, something anyone who was around then...or has even listened to/watched any of those shows, knows. And even if your exposure to that era is merely R&H and UABRS, I still think it's unfair and inaccurate to characterise them in such a way.

Moreover, it's been impossible almost since the beginning to separate U2 from their social causes (I won't characterise it as "politics). That's like saying "I love Madonna, except for all the dancing and costume changes." Politics has been part of this bands DNA from the beginning. Sometimes I think it's just right, sometimes I think it's too much (e.g. Vertigo Africa). But it is what it is.

Bono has changed a lot, of course. But if he didn't have the screaming, wide-eyed passion he had back then, we wouldn't have U2 today. Certainly in their current form.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Not in the least...the Bono of the 80's may have been brash and seemingly a little full of himself (or the possibilities of U2), but he was also very charismatic and extremely entertaining. The 3 shows I saw in the mid to late 80's were three of the greatest shows I've ever witnessed. The crowd was so into what U2 was about, it really was like a huge campfire where everyone is feeling the 'spirit'.

I remember April 17, 1987, Los Angeles Sports Arena...Good Friday to boot, U2 had just gone number 1 on the Billboard Charts...the crowd response to the opening notes of WTSHNN was EARTH RATTLING! I have never heard a crowd so loud, so alive, so eager to explode...and as the band came up to the stage, one by one, the noise got louder...but as soon as Bono appeared on stage (and I had the vantage point of seeing the band come up the steps to the stage) the arena literally EXPLODED in pure adulation and admiration. It was one of the greatest concert experiences I've ever had...and 25 years later I still remember it like it happened last night.

The only concert that ever came close was the April 10, 2001 show in San Jose, CA, which Bono claimed to Willie Williams was the best show U2 had ever done...I can testify that show was 'other-worldly'...an emotional experience that I doubt I will ever experience again in a concert setting.

Bono was idealistic, and wildly enthusiastic in the 80's, but listening to a bootleg in no way does justice to the actual experience of being in the crowd and seeing the interaction of band and crowd. Those days can never be recreated...I don't believe...and I'm sorry this generation can't experience that.

Wow... Way to make a 22yo bloke extremely jealous and depressed :(

April 10 they played Calgary, maybe you mean the 19th or 20th?. Sorry Elevation tour fan here :wink:

They played San Jose on the April 10th on the Vertigo tour (sorry Vertigo tour fan here, one of the few apparantly! :lol: ) So that might be the confusion. The 10th of 05 was a decent show but I think the 20th show on Elevation is what was being referred to as you indicate.

Yeah...I got my tours mixed up...as I attended all four shows in San Jose on both the Elevation/Vertigo Tours...my bad...April 20, 2001...NIRVANA that night...:drool:

The coolest thing that night was when I ran into Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam), we were staying at the same hotel, and he told me that was the best U2 show he'd ever seen...:applaud:...which was saying something, since PJ supported U2 on some Zooropa dates...I couldn't have agreed more...:up:

The only concert that ever came close was the April 10, 2001 show in San Jose, CA, which Bono claimed to Willie Williams was the best show U2 had ever done...I can testify that show was 'other-worldly'...an emotional experience that I doubt I will ever experience again in a concert setting.

That really doesn't surprise me. I've been to every U2 tour since TUF (w/the exception of Lovetown) and the Elevation shows I saw were among the best.

I don't care what the supposedly "boring" Elevation setlists looks like. If you weren't at one of those shows, you will just never get it.

That really doesn't surprise me. I've been to every U2 tour since TUF (w/the exception of Lovetown) and the Elevation shows I saw were among the best.

I don't care what the supposedly "boring" Elevation setlists looks like. If you weren't at one of those shows, you will just never get it.

I saw 11 Elevation shows I'm not sure what there was to "get" for those that did not attend them. They were good shows, but not head and shoulders above anything else they have done. I preferred Vertigo (which I know you dislike). To me, it was an improved Elevation tour with a better setlist. :shrug: Each their own.

The Vertigo Tour, to me, lacked the spark of The Elevation Tour. The Vertigo Tour's setlists were deeper than the previous 3 tours, but is that really enough? Don't get me wrong I enjoyed An Cat Dubh, and hearing Gloria again, but U2 were riding the crest of the wave that started w/ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour. Those shows, to me, didn't have the urgency/emotion that previous tour had.

We all feel how we feel about what tours were good/best, but I think setlists alone don't make for better tours. U2 is not all about musicianship, it's also about presentation and conveying something more than just music. Vertigo, to me, was mostly showing off their chops (and Bono's improved vocal ability). It just didn't connect w/me the way the Elevation shows did...I mean especially after the 9/11 Tragedy...those shows were as emotional and intense as any shows ever...so in a sense those who didn't get a chance to see the post 9/11 shows did 'miss out'...but again, my opinion.

Perhaps late to this party -- only ranked the shows I've seen in person, at least once.

1 - Elevation: Raw emotion, plus WILATW in Kansas City, snippet in Bad
2 ZooTV - Inside: New songs, new energy -- "is this rock and roll" as the lights blind my eyes.
3 Joshua Tree: Bad, Exit, Pride and RTSS
4 - War: Angry U2 era, Seconds was cool.
5 - ZooTV - Outside: See 2, and I BeLIEved
6 - Conspiracy of Hope: Amazing - not sure it counts as a tour, but it rocked.
7 - 360 Tour: Especially the AB ending shows opening with EBTHRT
8 - Vertigo: Felt like Elevation the Sequel - the heart morphs into... an oval???
9 - Unforgettable Fire: Felt like the sophomore slump.
10 - Popmart: I'd still see it again, but meh

The Vertigo Tour, to me, lacked the spark of The Elevation Tour. The Vertigo Tour's setlists were deeper than the previous 3 tours, but is that really enough? Don't get me wrong I enjoyed An Cat Dubh, and hearing Gloria again, but U2 were riding the crest of the wave that started w/ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour. Those shows, to me, didn't have the urgency/emotion that previous tour had.

We all feel how we feel about what tours were good/best, but I think setlists alone don't make for better tours. U2 is not all about musicianship, it's also about presentation and conveying something more than just music. Vertigo, to me, was mostly showing off their chops (and Bono's improved vocal ability). It just didn't connect w/me the way the Elevation shows did...I mean especially after the 9/11 Tragedy...those shows were as emotional and intense as any shows ever...so in a sense those who didn't get a chance to see the post 9/11 shows did 'miss out'...but again, my opinion.

8 - Vertigo: Felt like Elevation the Sequel - the heart morphs into... an oval???

Indeed.

Like I said previously, each their own, and there is nothing wrong with that. I enjoyed Elevation a lot. One of the best U2 shows I have seen was on that tour. Chicago May 15 2001. I just did not understand what there was to "get" about it. I did not think dismissing someones opinion as you can't "get" it unless you were there has complete merit. As one that attended many Elevation shows I did not and do not feel there was some existential experience gained by simply attending Elevation that was not existant on any other U2 tour. My last post was more responding that comment which you did not make. Overall I preferred the Vertigo tour. I know I'm in the minority but I thought there was more "grit" to Vertigo if that makes sense. I think it was tougher tour on the band and that tends to a spark some great performances from the band (See Lovetown). It can spark some off nights also, and I'm not saying that did not happen. But it happens on all tours. I can also see our differences in tastes based on your favorite portion of Elevation. Other than the South Bend show I saw, the first leg Elevation shows I saw blew away anything I saw on the third leg of Elevation.

You said it best, Vertigo did not connect with you. It did with me. Personal experiences, particular shows, etc all play into it obviously. I'm not saying you are wrong because it is something you cannot be wrong about, but some of the reasons you did not like Vertigo were why I liked it. PLUS it had improved setlists for me. To me, it was like Elevation (IE similiar stage and production concept) with better setlists (No that doesn't make a tour, but it helps a lot IMO) and some gritier performances and I liked Elevation like I said. So you can see why for me personally, I prefer Vertigo.

The downsides to Vertigo were the Pride to Streets transition and the flags on Streets. That did not work IMO. They could have been a bit more original with the stage design also, it was pretty much an Elevation copycat stage. Although I did think the tracer lighting on the ellipse on Vertigo (the song) was cooler than any of the lighting effects they did on Elevation. I do not know what they could have done differently for an arena that would have worked better, other than maybe being in the center and in the round (and that may not have been better, who knows). Also dropping Running To Stand Still, bad move. Should have alternated with Miss Sarajevo at a minimum. Otherwise a very solid tour and still one of my favorites.

Of the tours I saw:

1. Vertigo tour
2. 360 tour

I happened to see Metallica in the round in an arena in 2009. I'd have to say I preferred the Vertigo tours setup way more, even when I sat behind the stage

As setlists go I think vertigo had the most variety between multiple nights in one city, which in my opinion is a big plus!

Like I said previously, each their own, and there is nothing wrong with that. I enjoyed Elevation a lot. One of the best U2 shows I have seen was on that tour. Chicago May 15 2001. I just did not understand what there was to "get" about it. I did not think dismissing someones opinion as you can't "get" it unless you were there has complete merit. As one that attended many Elevation shows I did not and do not feel there was some existential experience gained by simply attending Elevation that was not existant on any other U2 tour. My last post was more responding that comment which you did not make. Overall I preferred the Vertigo tour. I know I'm in the minority but I thought there was more "grit" to Vertigo if that makes sense. I think it was tougher tour on the band and that tends to a spark some great performances from the band (See Lovetown). It can spark some off nights also, and I'm not saying that did not happen. But it happens on all tours. I can also see our differences in tastes based on your favorite portion of Elevation. Other than the South Bend show I saw, the first leg Elevation shows I saw blew away anything I saw on the third leg of Elevation.

You said it best, Vertigo did not connect with you. It did with me. Personal experiences, particular shows, etc all play into it obviously. I'm not saying you are wrong because it is something you cannot be wrong about, but some of the reasons you did not like Vertigo were why I liked it. PLUS it had improved setlists for me. To me, it was like Elevation (IE similiar stage and production concept) with better setlists (No that doesn't make a tour, but it helps a lot IMO) and some gritier performances and I liked Elevation like I said. So you can see why for me personally, I prefer Vertigo.

The downsides to Vertigo were the Pride to Streets transition and the flags on Streets. That did not work IMO. They could have been a bit more original with the stage design also, it was pretty much an Elevation copycat stage. Although I did think the tracer lighting on the ellipse on Vertigo (the song) was cooler than any of the lighting effects they did on Elevation. I do not know what they could have done differently for an arena that would have worked better, other than maybe being in the center and in the round (and that may not have been better, who knows). Also dropping Running To Stand Still, bad move. Should have alternated with Miss Sarajevo at a minimum. Otherwise a very solid tour and still one of my favorites.

Fair play to you! :up:

I'll just rank the tours I've seen:

1-Elevation- Saw them 5 times on this tour. Every show was great!
2-ZooTV- My first U2 show was on this tour.
3-360(2011)- Enjoyed this one slightly more than 2009.
4-360(2009)-
5-PopMart- My first U2 stadium show
6-Vertigo- Any U2 tour is good, but Bono mangled the lyrics to a number of songs. Saw 2 shows on this tour though.

1)Unforgettable Fire - absolutely thrilling experience I'll never forget
2)Zoo TV - amazing set list
3)PopMart - 1st row seats (I've experienced heaven)
4)Joshua Tree - height of all the madness
5)Vertigo - absolutely loudest crowd reaction I've ever witnessed
6)360 - okay, I'm a little over it

Wish I had a time machine to witness Boy or October tour. Missed War tour and I'm not sure why that happened but I bet it would have been in my top 2.

Didn't really want to dig up an old thread.... But now we have had some time to digest the IE tour for the foreseeable future at any rate, how would you rank the tours.

I have only seen 2. Its a tough call, because 360 was my first tour and was really special but I liked the intimacy of IE, and those first few songs Gloria Electric Co etc, wow. Although I did think the band seemed kind of tired on IE. Based on my experience at a couple of shows and bootlegs, I would have to say there is a big variation of performances on this tour. Some nights Bono sounded pretty good and others not so good... For example he sounds great on Chicago 02/07/2015, and some warhorses like WOWY, and Pride for example were better on IE than 360. But I feel Bono's voice is getting thinner and more volatile each tour. I think B mans voice got worse after the NA leg on IE, but got better in the later legs of 360. I think its an energy thing....

For me its about the energy more than the "performance", I fell in love with U2 after watching the Boston Elevation DVD. I think I'm just bummed I have never seen a real moving performance of Streets live :/ I was also much more familiar with U2 during IE than 360... went from fan to super fan and become more critical of them ha

Anyway despite all this I would go
1.IE
2. 360

Top 4 tours that I never seen (but listen to a lot)
1. ZOO TV
2.Lovetown
3.Elevation
4. JT

Where does IE sit in the pack with you guys????

Last edited:
Based on shows I have seen

1) JT 1987 - Opening 2 and closing 2 Tempe Shows - was like a wet dream coming true
2) ZOO TV 1992 - Inside & Out Shows Tempe
3) 360 2009/2011 - 8 shows in 4 countries
4) Elevation 2001 - Phx & Vegas
5) I/E 2015 - Paris 1& 2 (first time I have been bored & disappointed with set list selections - Elevation mainly)
6) Vertigo 2005 - Phx & Opening Night San Diego
7) Popmart 1997 - Tempe (took a co-workers daughter to the show as a pseudo date - affected the enjoyment factor)
8) UF 1985 - Phx - 1st show and the night was a blur

Last edited:
Based pun tours I have attended in person:

1-Elevation(unreal show!!!)
2-U2360
3-IE
4-Vertigo(neutered Streets)
5-PopMart

I prefer arena shows but seeing 94k and 88k at MetLife stadium was just wow!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

For those i saw

1. ZooTV indoor - 1992 Chicago Rosemont Horizon. Small venue, Pixies and Sugarcubes open. Still #1 of all time.
2. ZooTV outside broadcast
3. Elevation
4. Popmart
5. Vertigo
6. 360 - First time i really felt the aging of the U2 audience. Lacked crowd energy. Stadium doesn't help that situation either.

Now that the IE tour is long over, might as well offer a new ranking of the tours I've seen:

1- Elevation
2- ZooTV
3- IE
4- 360 (2011)
5- 360 (2009)
6- PopMart
7- Vertigo

I basically stand by my old ranking.

1. Lovetown
2. War Tour
3. Joshua Tree Tour
4. UF Tour
5. October Tour
6. Boy Tour
(2-6 being fairly close, if not quite equal, in my mind)
7. ZooTV
8. Popmart
9. Vertigo
(pretty much equal; would probably switch order if I made this list again in an hour)
10. 360

As noted in a subsequent post, I forgot Elevation and would have put it above 360. IE would be just above it too, though that's a tight call. So here's the current list:

1. Lovetown
2. War Tour
3. Joshua Tree Tour
4. UF Tour
5. October Tour
6. Boy Tour
7. ZooTV
8. Popmart
9. Vertigo
10. IE
11. Elevation
12. 360

I basically stand by my old ranking.

As noted in a subsequent post, I forgot Elevation and would have put it above 360. IE would be just above it too, though that's a tight call. So here's the current list:

1. Lovetown
2. War Tour
3. Joshua Tree Tour
4. UF Tour
5. October Tour
6. Boy Tour
7. ZooTV
8. Popmart
9. Vertigo
10. IE
11. Elevation
12. 360

I get that you have a distain for "millennial" U2(perhaps 90s too) but what about the tours did you more like?

Was it the high amount of new songs, arrangements of older songs, the set up/production of the tour or size of the tour (90k people vs 5k people)?

Only based on what I attended.

1. 360 (Seattle '11 to be specific. From best leg of tour, otherwise, the '09 show I saw wouldn't rank this tour in first)
2. Elevation (my first U2 show. Electricity through out arena and my soul)
3. ieTour (opening shows Vancouver!)
4. Vertigo (Boy Trilogy the standout)

I get that you have a distain for "millennial" U2(perhaps 90s too) but what about the tours did you more like?

Was it the high amount of new songs, arrangements of older songs, the set up/production of the tour or size of the tour (90k people vs 5k people)?

Well, the eighties tours basically win by default: the best setlists, with Bono at his vocal peak, some in nice small venues rather than large soulless arenas or stadiums. I still listen to recordings from eighties shows fairly regularly. The nineties represents a start of a decline for me, especially with Bono's voice on Popmart, and I much prefer the immediacy and intensity of small gigs to overblown stadium production, but there is still much to like about those tours with how good the band sound and their ambition. The more recent tours are too short on great songs, Bono's voice is often mediocre, and there are some really bizarre stumbles, ranging from the 360 setlists that didn't suit the grand production, to the acoustic encore on Vertigo, to the unfulfilled promises of IE, etc.

Zoo-TV was the best spectacle

Lovetown would be the best to hit multiple shows for the variety, vocal power, and God Part II/Hawkmoon 269 live versions

Elevation Pittsburgh was my first show so it has a special status for me. Had an amazing setlist considering the tour. They played Gone and Stay, which after doing research on Axver's site may have been the first concert to feature a song from Zooropa and Pop in the same show.

I think Edge started playing Stay by accident and they just rolled with it, so I got an extra song in the Acoustic Set.

Back
Top Bottom