Random U2 Thoughts Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe they can blame those bits on Christy Moore.

Although, if you're going to borrow - borrow from the greats.

In other news, I saw NIN and Bowie in 1995. Awesometastic...

They played an awesome version of Hurt with Reeves Gabrels playing some whacked out guitar on it. At least I think it was Hurt...

that was when both bands were basically on stage at the same time.

The evolution of "Discotheque."

One of my favorite aspects of this band is how they continue to write a song well after its initial creation, and somehow improve upon it.

"Discotheque" is a prime example. The original album version has all the underpinnings of a great rock & roll song, but it is completely undone buy its horrid production. The bass guitar, which should be the driver in a song like this, sitting right on top of the song and smirking, is drowned out by the bass drum and other rhythm effects. This sets up is a complete lack of dynamics when the song reaches its "rock" zenith and nothing really happens. The song should jump from level 7 to level 11 at this point, but it can't, cause it's already at 10.

Luckily, U2 learn from that. The remix cut, or whatever it's called, is much improved. The bass is allowed to drive. All the superfluous loops and electronic drum treatments are gone. There's room to move here. Some space from which to explode. It actually can and does explode when the chorus fall hits, plus they've improved the chorus guitar tone. Gone is the "farting wasp." I can actually hear driving chord changes now. There's a rhythm in that riff that was barely audible in the bug fart we got before.

A big improvement, but, still, that outro. The nadir of U2's career.

Not to worry. Just wait 3 or 4 years and they continue to make it better.

This, this is "Discotheque"

Discotheque 2005 - YouTube

Granted, it's a live version, so stripped down is expected, but the rewrite isn't. A more effective chorus build up? Check. A new drum beat? Check. A brand spanking new outro? That rips? Check. That outro seals the deal. 2 dirty chords. 4 to the floor beat. They coulda played that thing for 5 minutes straight and it would still be awesome.

There's a special circle of hell reserved for those who prefer the New Mix.

That live version, however, should have been played more regularly.

Dancing Barefoot

Does Boner play the first guitar solo in this recording?

I think I've heard that somewhere.

If so, props to Boner. Nice guitar playing.

Then give me hell. Enjoy "heaven." That album cut sucks 8 ways to Sunday.

Pretty much unlistenable.

Thankfully, they made it better in the end.

I almost killed someone after hearing the Best Of mix. The album version and single remixes are all fantastic.

I think it's already hell on earth for those who prefer the awful New Mix.

Of course Bowie is better. Bowie is better than everyone who has ever lived, aside from maybe Andre 3000.

Outcast suck.

There's a special ring of hell for people who think Outcast are good.

Or so I've been told.

Otis Redding>Outshit.

Am I doing this right?

The album version is fantastic. The Best Of version is decent, but massively underwhelming. That live version from 2005 is soooooo good though.

I disagree with you on some points, Van Schloop. But I think that Discothèque is a great song.

My opinion:

Album version: Fantastic.
PopMart version: Awesome.
Elevation version: I love the extra synth that is added in the verses. The whole version is pretty good. I'm torn about the SATS ending. On one hand, I want a more climactic ending for the song. On the other hand, ignoring that, I rather like the ending. I suppose opportunity costs bother me more than it being a bad ending.
Remix: Not very good, but not awful.
Vertigo version: Love it. "This is a love song" works surprisingly well as an ending.

I disagree with you on some points, Van Schloop. But I think that Discothèque is a great song.

My opinion:

Album version: Fantastic.
PopMart version: Awesome.
Elevation version: I love the extra synth that is added in the verses. The whole version is pretty good. I'm torn about the SATS ending. On one hand, I want a more climactic ending for the song. On the other hand, ignoring that, I rather like the ending. I suppose opportunity costs bother me more than it being a bad ending.
Remix: Not very good, but not awful.
Vertigo version: Love it. "This is a love song" works surprisingly well as an ending.

You wouldn't happen to have a good quality version from Elevation would you?

Never big on the live version of it, but I did like that one from the Vertigo tour. I'm not a fan of the new mix either, but the album version is great fun.

Which show was that played at in 2005?

Edit: Some people said Toronto in the comments, and some said Chicago on April 9th, 2005 (I think they meant 'May', and apparently they didn't play it at the May 9th show).

God.

I remember being in Toronto (Sept. 17, 2005). My brother and I drove up from Connecticut for the last 2 shows in Toronto, among many other Vertigo stops for us.

Anyway. I heard them soundcheck Discotheque for quite awhile that afternoon, and they were supposed to play it after Vertigo. Confirmed rumor for those who need to know. And it's not even a rumor, believe me if you want, I don't care.

I was so bummed out when they ripped into Elevation after playing Vertigo.

Then the screens, instead of the zoo tv slot machine, turned into the pop symbols for the encore; shopping cart and everything, and Pop Muzik started playing. Bono strutted around the ellipse. It was awesome. Edge burst into the riff, and it was totally bad ass. That was the only time they played the Pop Muzik encore intro.

They played Discotheque again in Chicago, sans Pop Muzik, the next concert. then that was it. never again. they were supposed to do it and Velvet Dress in New York during that run of 5 shows at MSG. Never did.

But yes. I agree. That is the best version of Discotheque, easily.

ahh ok... i thought for a second you were going to say U2 nicked a bit of a Patti Smith tune then :ohmy:

You wouldn't happen to have a good quality version from Elevation would you?

I don't have one on hand, but check U2Start. There are a lot of soundboard recordings from the Elevation Tour. I know that a good recording exists of the first night of the tour, in Fort Lauderdale, and that show had Discothèque. I'm sure there are others, too.

Back
Top Bottom