Random U2 Question THREAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Due to popular demand, this thread will now contain random U2-questions burning for an answer. Feel free to challenge yourself, and enlighten other curious U2 minds out there.

For the debut, I ask, what exactly is this about Courtney Love 'claiming' to have worked briefly on October album with the boys? I have found various quotes of her claiming to have travelled to Dublin in 82 and met the guys and worked on this album, but I cant find any details of what exactly she did. For her to be sucha big personality, and for U2 to have apparently never mentained her involvement- not even in hindsight- seems like they almost want to keep it quiet- if it really did happen in the first place.

Any insights?

For the debut, I ask, what exactly is this about Courtney Love 'claiming' to have worked briefly on October album with the boys? I have found various quotes of her claiming to have travelled to Dublin in 82 and met the guys and worked on this album, but I cant find any details of what exactly she did. For her to be sucha big personality, and for U2 to have apparently never mentained her involvement- not even in hindsight- seems like they almost want to keep it quiet- if it really did happen in the first place.

Suppose it's possible. According to Wikipedia, "At 16, Love traveled around the U.S., England and Ireland, living on a trust fund established for her by her mother’s adoptive parents. While in Ireland, Love took two semesters at Trinity College in Dublin and worked as a photographer for Hotpress. In England, she moved into the Toxteth, Liverpool, home of musician Julian Cope, of The Teardrop Explodes, and became a regular at rock shows. In his autobiography Head-On, Cope refers to her as "the adolescent" in place of using her name. She also developed a friendship with Ian McCulloch of Echo and the Bunnymen."

Probably more likely, if at all, is that she was merely around them. If she photographed for Hot Press it's entirely possible she was in their orbit, maybe assisting on photo sessions. Probably nothing more than that though.

:applaud: I like your new thread marik. Sorry I don't have any more info on your debut question though. I've pretty much only heard the same you all have mentioned.

I got the following from a recent interview with The Independent:
Love story: Courtney Love - Features, Day and Night - Independent.ie
Love and Bono have quite a history. In the early 80s, Love, then a footloose teenager living off a small trust fund, moved to Ireland, where she briefly managed to talk her way into a job as a studio assistant on U2's October album.

"I lived in Drogheda," she says somewhat improbably. "I had a friend who lived in a squat on Stephen's Green. Can you believe it -- Stephen's Green? I mean those houses are worth, what 20 million now? Crazy. Anyway, there was a squat on Stephen's Green and on my way I would pass Windmill Lane. I worked for about a week there during the making of October. They were just starting up. Then I got fired. It was very hard for me to get transportation there. I can't drive. I had to take a bus and hitch-hike. It was a pain in the ass."

Fired, lol. I could definately see that. Thanks everyone for your responses.

NEXT QUESTION: on the popmart screen during the lemon mix encore....was that thing a guy in a wig? anyone know the story of who this mysterious dancer was?

This is an awesome thread, actually :lol:

Sorry I don't quite have an answer to that ^ but I would like to say that whatever it is freaks me out so much that I usually fast-forward through it. To me, yes, it looks like a large man in a wig...

Good find Bonocomet. Interesting that he died in 94, and U2 used his work 3 years later for PopMart. SO that means he filmed that crazy dance for a reason other than being used in the 40-ft lemon show.

this one may proved to be harder...(in more than one way)

NEXT QUESTION: does anyone have a scanned picture, or even recall seeing, the sketch Bono submitted for a romanian orphan auction in Oct 96 of his penis? He titled it "Me Rattler" and I remember took a bit of critisism for his chosen object

This is from the Courtney Love feature in Mojo, April 2010:

"During your teenage world travels, you ended up in Dublin in the early 1980s, and here you are on October 12, 2009 at Carnegie Hall introducing the Virgin Prunes."

[Courtney talks a bit about that, and then:] "It was why I went to Dublin when I was 14. I heard I Will Follow and fucking followed. Most teenage girls, 16-, 17-, 18-year-old girls who had the ability to go somewhere other than Portland, Oregon would probably go to New York or London. I went to Dublin. And the first show I saw in Dublin was The Virgin Prunes... ...I introduced the Virgin Prunes as this sort of demonic force to U2's angelic force because the next band I saw was of course U2, which is why I had come to Dublin, because I loved U2 and I thought maybe I could get into Trinity College. It seemed to me in 1981 that wherever U2 was is where I wanted to be. It wasn't a groupie thing. I got $500 a month and I went to Dublin."

If I had to ask them a question, I would have to ask about penis size. Bono once quipped that Adam had "the smallest willy in U2". But if this is so, why has only Adam flashed his on an album sleeve?

this one may proved to be harder...(in more than one way)

NEXT QUESTION: does anyone have a scanned picture, or even recall seeing, the sketch Bono submitted for a romanian orphan auction in Oct 96 of his penis? He titled it "Me Rattler" and I remember took a bit of critisism for his chosen object

Yeah I have it. Never knew that's where it came from though.

(I remember the story saying something about him being asked to draw his favorite childhood toy.)

Sorry, I had no internet right after that post today. Here it is.

bonorattler.jpg

NEXT! :wink:

Bonocomet, you are good. Never thought I'd see that one surface. You are right about him sketching that in response to his favorite childhood toy.

NEXT QUESTION: this one might not have a clear-cut answer, but what are thoughts on U2's meaning of the EVERYONE intro to the Vertigo shows?

^ I don't have the answer to that right now, but I do have your recipe. :shifty: I'll scan it and post it today.

Can't find a copy of bono's smoked haddock hashbrowns with poached eggs that he submitted for the Sinatra Celebrity Cook-book back in the mid '90's. Does anyone actually have a copy of this book, or else pick up the recipe somewhere along
the way?

Bonorecipe.jpg

BonoFrankBarbaraSinatratext.jpg

Is it ok if other people ask questions too? Cuz I have a random question!

I remember reading that when Bono slipped with the spotlight and had to get the stitches, it was during rehearsal...was it rehearsals before the tour actually started, or just a soundcheck before a show?

I remember reading that when Bono slipped with the spotlight and had to get the stitches, it was during rehearsal...was it rehearsals before the tour actually started, or just a soundcheck before a show?

It was during rehearsals a few days before the start of The Joshua Tree.

In New Zealand 89, band members tried white-water rafting and even bungee jumping. Other than hearing this new blip (and seeing a picture of Bono in a life-perserver vest), has anyone ever heard more details about WHO exactly went bungee jumping or any stories about the incident? Also, any band member ever ever sky-dive?

Back
Top Bottom