Quite possibly the best song ever written

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually think the current version of Mysterious Ways is one of the best live versions of this song they've ever done, short solo or not, but it is simply amazing and Bono's so much into it. I'd never been a real fan of that song before, but after seeing it live I came to the conclusion that it's an abolute highlight of the show. I never get bored with it.
The 360 versions of Mysterious Ways are by far their worst versions imo. No slide solo, lazy drums etc.

I don't miss the solo, but that's just me. It may be an unpopular opinion. I've enjoyed the MW version a lot throughout the tour. Before that, I was kind of indifferent towards this song, live and on the album.

Streets. I don't know if it's the greatest song ever written - I doubt it, not even by U2 - but it's the ultimate stadium anthem and one of the most universal songs by the most universal bands. It's totally elevating, it's surreal, it's just larger than life, really. Never enjoyed the album version that much, in fact I always skip it because I only want to hear the live version.

For MW I really enjoy how Bono seems much more into it. And Edge, ofcourse. Though I do miss the solo. It would've finished it. And I like how Larry plays the bongos now.

No matter how many times I hear it, see it live, see it on youtube...no matter how theyve led into it with segues ir where theyve put it in the setlist....

‪Interpol - Lights‬‏ - YouTube

This sound haunts me and will till I die. It moves me, sends chills up my spine and chokes me up everytime I hear it.

I just feel blessed to be part of the generation that grew up with this genius. Noone even comes close anymore.

You may be onto something. I love how you cried unabashedly when they played it. :hug:

But none of them LIFT me, move me, affect me, elate me and exhaust me...the way Streets does and always will.

This is why I love U2. There isn't a single band that I've heard consistently do that for me. It's not just Streets, though Streets is one of their best. So many U2 songs do that so well. This is why U2 are by far my favorite band in the world. Other artists have songs that have this effect on me, but they generally aren't as good as U2's, and U2 have so many more of them than any artist I've ever heard. I'm a very happy and proud U2 fan.

I can't understand this. At all. I've tried to see where you're coming from but I can't. I can only infer you are fucking with us or you're certifiably insane.

Well, thank you. I'll go and see a shrink tomorrow and tell him my problem.

It's not only Mysterious Ways, I have some very strange opinion about other U2 songs and live performances as well, but I'll save these for another thread. :)

Streets has always been a top 5 favorite of mine, especially live.

IMO, the best "version" is from the Elevation tour. Bono's soft chanting combined with the rotating lights during the build-up is chilling. Then his run around the heart before hitting those first words is amazing. How he's not out of breath by then is surprising :ohmy:

However, my perspective may be a bit skewed because I haven't seen 360 live...only via the Blu-ray disc and youtube clips. I've only seen Elevation and Vertigo in person.

But, I like a lot of different songs from different tours for different reasons. Right now, I'd say Ultraviolet from the 360 DVD is my absolute favorite tune right now.

Back
Top Bottom