Quincy Jones: U2 is Over the Hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaimearodriguez

The Fly
Music Legend Quincy Jones opens up in a new in-depth interview. Knowing the respect he has in the music industry, it holds weight. Not just another 'hater'.

Link: http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html

"Is U2 still making good music?
[Shakes head.]

Why not?
I don’t know. I love Bono with all my heart, but there’s too much pressure on the band. He’s doing good work all over the world. Working with him and Bob Geldof on debt reliefJones has a truly admirable record of humanitarian and philanthropic work, going back to his support of Dr. Martin Luther King in the early 1960s. In 1999, Jones, U2 lead singer Bono, and musician-activist Bob Geldof (who spearheaded 1985’s Live Aid charity concerts), traveled to the Vatican to meet with Pope John Paul II, hoping to gain his support in their effort to reduce third-world debt. was one of the greatest things I ever did. It’s up there with “We Are the WorldA charity single written by Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson and co-produced by Quincy Jones, “We Are the World” featured a who’s who of 1980s American pop and rock stars, a collection dubbed USA for Africa. .”

That bit just reads to me like he doesn't like their recent output and then talks about Bono's non-U2 work. Big deal.

Interview sounds hilarious, though. Dropping juicy gossip left and right. Like, I'm old now, so fuck it.

That was enormous fun.

He’s also saying that U2 is under so much pressure to be great and to be all things to all people and sell a billion tickets that the music is suffering.

Everyone in here says that every day.

Just finished an episode of South Park and then read that interview. Couldn't get chef's voice out of my head and I don't know what Quincy Jones sounds like, so I read the whole thing as if he were chef.

Quincy Jones tells it like it is.

What a great interview, I could listen to him talking about pretty much anything all day.

I don't see anything unreasonable about what he said about U2.

He's in full-out, unapologetic 'get off my lawn' mode with modern music. And he's got a lot of valid points, too, and entitled to his take on U2, even if it was no more than a head-shake. His quote on dating Ivanka was just hilarious.

That was a good interview. More people in the entertainment industry need to be like him and just be honest instead of messing around and being fake.

:huh:

no, quincy jones did not produce "love me do".

Of course not; he says Ringo can't play drums and gives a story of a Beatles recording session where they had to sub in another drummer. It's painfully obvious Quincy Jones didn't produce Love Me Do.

Last edited:
He's talking about Love Me Do, isn't he?

Of course not; he says Ringo can't play drums and gives a story of a Beatles recording session where they had to sub in another drummer. It's painfully obvious Quincy Jones didn't produce Love Me Do.

:doh:

seeing as the name of the actual song is right there in the article where he's talking about this, and there's a direct link to the youtube video, i have faith that with a little bit of effort you'll be able to figure out what song quincy is actually talking about.

Back
Top Bottom