Question for those who actually experienced ZooTV & Popmart, not just watched the dvd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in retrospective, the posturing of Bono on Popmart was more or less 'real' to me, whereas his gestures during Vertigo was a little bit 'obliged', I really had the idea that during Vertigo tour U2, especially Bono were going through the motions, more or less on the automatic pilot. During Popmart en definitely during ZooTV (which I didn't see live), it was real, it was passionate and above all, it was new.

in retrospective, the posturing of Bono on Popmart was more or less 'real' to me, whereas his gestures during Vertigo was a little bit 'obliged', I really had the idea that during Vertigo tour U2, especially Bono were going through the motions, more or less on the automatic pilot. During Popmart en definitely during ZooTV (which I didn't see live), it was real, it was passionate and above all, it was new.

Yeah sure, it was SO real!

Bono was the greatest actor back then, if there ever was one. :wink:

I can think of better ways to show passion than running around looking like an ass, pretending to be a boxer.

I don't mind any of the rockstar posturing, he's having fun, and it's fun to watch. I have never felt that "cringe" feeling, it's a rocknroll show. The antics may change over the years but I hope he always has fun doing what he's doing. (And some things don't change, hasn't the thumbsucking been around since the BOY tour?)

Count your blessings, guys. Bowie briefly pretended to be a dolphin when I saw him.

:lol: That's fantastic.

I saw Ted Nugent swing over our heads on a vine while dressed only in a loincloth.

(Can't say I would have minded seeing Bono do that on the JT tour :shifty: )

:lol: That's fantastic.

I saw Ted Nugent swing over our heads on a vine while dressed only in a loincloth.

(Can't say I would have minded seeing Bono do that on the JT tour :shifty: )

Unless he was doing all that while his hands were guitars, I'm not interested. :tsk:

nugent-scream-dream.jpg

:uhoh: wow... I don't even remember NOTICING his hands! I really missed out! What was I looking at anyway??!

You had to be there.
I was at both and the excitement was incredible.

Agreed! My first ever U2 concert was the Zooropa show in Stockholm 1993 and it was absolutely fabulous inspite of the rain! :rockon: I was right by the catwalk when Bono and Edge did the whole 'bullfight' thing, so close I could hear their boots scuffling on the stage! :faint: And I could see Bono grinning from ear to ear, hilarious stuff!! :lol:

If you watch this performance of Wild Horses from 1992 you can see how Bono really hasn't changed...he's lying all over the stage in his one...watch around 3:30

yep I agree with this...Bono has always been a 'showman' and thats all this is..I first saw U2 in 1981 in the States.. in front of 50 people.. i live in Aust and have been to every tour here from.. Unforgetable Fire (84) through to Vertigo (07) and his 'showmanship' still has the same essence from when i first saw this 'kid' in 81.... Elvis is the King of Rock hmmmm I would question that...

Mikeyb:applaud:

If you watch this performance of Wild Horses from 1992 you can see how Bono really hasn't changed...he's lying all over the stage in his one...watch around 3:30

YouTube - u2 stockholm who's gonna ride your wild horses live

I don't think Vertigo Tour was any worse or better than previous tours.

Just watched that video. That was nothing compared to Vertigo Chicago. Nothing! The crawling like a cat was about 1000 times worse!

Oddly enough, the cat thing didn't bother me one iota, but the flapping-like-a-bird thing was just heinous.

Ummm...yes it was posturing, the guy is on a freaking stage for godssakes!
If he was posing in a restaurant or on the bus, I'd be worried. But since he is on stage with a spotlight on him whilst singing, I think I'm gonna give him a free pass.

I went to one Popmart concert, and I don't have any specific memories of any embarrassing posturing. My main memory is pretty much: "holy dogshit."

I dunno, I never saw them in the "good ole days" from Boy-War but it seems to me that there were plenty of on stage antics then... Is it the fact that he's 45 that bothers people so much now?

^ I think it is. Maybe some people don't like to see the boy inside the man :shrug:

The truth of the matter is nobody in the world really gives a shit about any of this except the die-hard fans....and even the die-hards have mixed feelings about it.

The truth of the matter is nobody in the world really gives a shit about any of this except the die-hard fans....and even the die-hards have mixed feelings about it.

How do you know that this is the truth of the matter?

Seriously guys who cares what Bono does on stage, he's having fun. He's a showman, a singer, a rockstar as long as what he does doesn't get in the way of him singing than I don't care, I like that he seems to be so into it. If Bono stood still I'd be bored

Back
Top Bottom