Question about Popmart Mexico...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
Just having a watch at the moment, and the bit at the end of LANOE always gets me thinking, cos it looks like Bono is having a go at someone in the crowd. He seems to say "Give it to me" and then "Come on...What?" Before raising his guitar in the air.
Could he be trying to get the Laserpen thing off of the guy, or is it something else?

Any thoughts?:hmm:

yes i'm bored. new album please.

Someone was holding a copy of NLOTH......

Its hard to tell if he was really pissed or if it was just part of show.

I thought I read something somewhere about some dickwad in the audience pointing a laser pointer at him.

yeah wasn't there some guy with a laser pointer during a lot of that show or am I remembering it wrong?

Could it have maybe been a result of the tussle between U2's security and the President's son's bodyguards, which resulted in Denis Sheehan (I think thats U2's head of security?) being sent to the hospital?

Or was that another S. American show?

Could it have maybe been a result of the tussle between U2's security and the President's son's bodyguards, which resulted in Denis Sheehan (I think thats U2's head of security?) being sent to the hospital?

Or was that another S. American show?

That incident happened in Mexico and it was Jerry Mele, their head of security from Lovetown-Popmart. There was a thread about Jerry maybe a year back, one of the best people in the entire concert industry.

I dont know if the scuffle took place the night the DVD was filmed or the other night in Mexico City. If the DVD was after that, it could possibly have something to do with it, I know all of the band, but especially Bono were very upset about that incident. Bono said on stage that "we almost lost a brother last night." Mele did get very seriously hurt, they ran him down with a car if I recall correctly. Specualtion was on this incident as being the reason why U2 took an extended break from playing in Mexico.

Back to LNOE, I have always wondered that myself. Dont know for sure

The guy in the audience was holding a sign that said, "Where's me fookin' Lucky Charms, U Irish Leprechaun?!" ..... Bono was none 2 pleased...

yeah wasn't there some guy with a laser pointer during a lot of that show or am I remembering it wrong?

I HATED those. Every jerk had to have one. I remember this kid in high school who'd constantly point it at people and I was terrified when he pointed it in my eyes. It was around 1997/98, too.

Amazing how trends are.

The early '90s were annoying for those car alarms and little gadgets that made the same noises; there were about 4 or so. Car alarms don't sound like that anymore.

I'm sure Ive mentioned this before, but when I went to popmart at Wembley, LOADS of people had laser pointers, they kept shining them at the top of the arch. (and no doubt at the band as well) I'm not surprised he got pissed off.

LOL!!

Bono: Heh, give me a smoke
Man: No
Bono: Give it to me.
Man: No
Bono: (The part we see) GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Intro to UTEOW starts...

If you read his lips as Bono is being pulled back, it looks like he's saying "fu**ing A**hole" and giving him the look of death.

Don't know if this is real or for the cameras because I'm pretty sure he did a similar yelling at the crowd bit at the end of UTEOTW Sydney.

On the topic of the laser pointers, during the Mexico show, Bono was pissed about it. If anyone remembers from the live feed (Showtime here in the US), during the intro to Pride, right before "we're here to make love".

Bono scolded the audience. Nobody specifically, but basically a "stop shining the f'ing light in our eyes". I can't remember the exact words because it was 12 years ago, but I taped it and it may be lying aorund somewhere. if I dig it up, I'll post it.

It obviously got cut from the VHS and DVD

On the topic of the laser pointers, during the Mexico show, Bono was pissed about it. If anyone remembers from the live feed (Showtime here in the US), during the intro to Pride, right before "we're here to make love".

Bono scolded the audience. Nobody specifically, but basically a "stop shining the f'ing light in our eyes". I can't remember the exact words because it was 12 years ago, but I taped it and it may be lying aorund somewhere. if I dig it up, I'll post it.

I remember that!

Something along the lines of "get that red fire-fly (?) out of my eyes" ...

good catch, I never thought about that until now...

^^Yeah, I can hear that clear as a day before they play Pride.

By the way that version of Pride is my favorite :reject:

Irony, considering Bono had been shining a spotlight into the audience from UF tour to Zoo TV (I remember being momentarily blinded in 84....) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom