Proud of U2's decision with Crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
I know many people here dont enjoy, or understand, what they were trying to do with Crazy remix live, and that 'rave' section of the show (term used by Willie Williams i believe), but I for one love it.
For a band that so often as of late gets critisized for going about the commerical road, the decision about playing the Crazy remix is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect for commerical sales. Consider that after Boots and Magnificant both didnt perform they way they were hoping to as singles, their last chance at making this album a possible "hit" (like they are used too) was the 3rd single- Crazy. But then to decide to go out and play it live in a totally different format than the sinlge you released- is totally ballsy in my mind.
And to make this decision for nothing but a high-energy pure-fun moment of the live show makes me smile everytime I see it. To see boys well close to 50 yrs old having such a fun time during that song- Edge pogo-sticking, Larry even cracking a grin with his conga drum action, Bono spasming- makes me proud of the decision they went with, and all the more to do it at the age they are.

I always thought it sounded cool from the odd bootlegs I'd listened too....but then on the Rose Bowl Blu-ray I thought it was fucking awesome!

Hope it stays for the rest of the tour....

Agree on everything you said. I was never big on the album version myself (an okay song, but kinda safe I think). But when I saw it at Soldier Field, they turned it the place into a freakin' club scene, which I thought was terrific. I'm glad they chose to play it live like that for sure!

I've never liked the album version much, I've always thought it's the big weak point of NLOTH, but the live version was absolutely awsome. At all the shows I went to, it brought the house down. A lot of people didn't know the song, but the audience still was very much into it. Great stuff :up:

Agreed, it is definitely one of the highlights of the show.

Even the original is a more than decent effort. I think it would have been appreciated more if it had been a one off single, maybe for a soundtrack or something, it just doesn't fit on NLOTH for me.

Agree on everything you said. I was never big on the album version myself (an okay song, but kinda safe I think). But when I saw it at Soldier Field, they turned it the place into a freakin' club scene, which I thought was terrific. I'm glad they chose to play it live like that for sure!
this. i even saw it at soldier field as well! :drool:

I'll never forget my reaction when I saw it for the first time opening night in Barcelona. I never saw it coming, it was so awesome.

This was literally the most anticipated moment of the concert for me, and RIGHT when the song was getting into the groove some giant shirtless musclehead douchebag came in and started to shove his way to the front and caused a huge fight to break out for a few minutes and totally fucking ruined it for me.

Seriously..the one thing I wanted to see :(.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
GRRRR YOU'RE BLOCKING MY VIEW OF THE EDGE ROCKING OUT!

They need to stop playing it safe. The remixed version of Magnificent and Crazy, and the 2nd version of NOLTH should've been on the album. It would've generated much more excitement. Of course, it would've turned off the "pop kids" but who needs them? :)

Didn't like it at first, but after watching the Rose Bowl-show I definitely understand the move and I prefer this version over the original live-version they played on the promo tour. It's one of the few songs where they can truly go crazy and put on a classy, slightly more improvised show and it truly pays off.

They need to stop playing it safe. The remixed version of Magnificent and Crazy, and the 2nd version of NOLTH should've been on the album. It would've generated much more excitement. Of course, it would've turned off the "pop kids" but who needs them? :)

Yes, because NLOTH 2 is so much more "daring". Well I guess it would have been daring to release a song with off key vocals on it...

Album version of "Crazy" = meh.
Stage version of "Crazy" = OMFG. :cool: :hyper: :rockon: :heart:

I actually love them both.

Its so weird how the same song can be so different.

But I have to admit its the LIVE version I play LOUD in my car (I love it when Bono say's 'Croke Park...Sing.For.Your.Sanity')

Not a fan of either version of the song and when I saw them do the remix at The Rose Bowl, I thought it was pretty cringe-worthy. However, after watching the Blu-ray of the show a few times, I've warmed up to the live version a bit but I still think it's ranks only as one of the more interesting but not entirely successful revamping of a song the band has done live.

T.B.

Chicago II was especially great for the unique version of Stay. I still groan (and laugh) when I hear Bono sing the "oh oh oh" part after the first verse. I'll always remember it though. Chicago II was pretty cool.

Which one? There were at least 137....

The Fred Falke one I'd think?

Didn't like it at first, but after watching the Rose Bowl-show I definitely understand the move and I prefer this version over the original live-version they played on the promo tour.

I haven't seen the DVD yet (yes, I know. but I'm getting a Blu ray player shortly and am saving it for then). But I do have the audio from it and was listening to it the other day. It seems like the drum/bongo beat is mixed pretty high there, is it not? I think I actually prefer the Artificial Horizon version as a result, but I'd imagine it translates better watching it on screen anyway. Guess we'll see...

Am I the only who thinks the Adam K & Soha remix of Magnificent is the definitive version? For me it is the only one which keeps the vibe of the original. I don't like the hard bassline of the Falke version.

I'd love to hear Magnificent remix in the setlist though, along with EBTTRT and Crazy

Stage version of "Crazy" = OMFG. :cool: :hyper: :rockon: :heart:

I actually love them both.

Its so weird how the same song can be so different.

But I have to admit its the LIVE version I play LOUD in my car (I love it when Bono say's 'Croke Park...Sing.For.Your.Sanity')

:yes:
You read my mind...this is exactly my thoughts on this song. Love both versions; however, the LIVE version is just too awesome!!!!! The crowd went nuts in Boston when this was played!!!
And I will admit, this song is played LOUD in my car as well!!! :drool::dance::fist::happydance::loveshower::heart:

I haven't seen them live...yet.

From what I've seen on the Rosebowl DVD though, I only like the Crazy remix when they get to the chorus. I didn't have a problem with the original version at all.

worst live u2 song i have ever seen in 30 concerts. truly the only live song i have ever seen by u2 that i thought was embarrassing. :reject:

:yes:
The crowd went nuts in Boston when this was played!!!

i guess its all in where you were, and your state of mind about the song. the place went absolutely dead after vertigo, and i saw a lot wtf looks, and people scratching their heads. they seemed to get a fraction of the crowd back at the end of the song- but nowhere near a highlight in terms of crowd response.

That song was a highlight of the show for me when I saw it at Milano - it was amazing. I didn't recognise the song until part way through as it is so different. Larry's drums were loud as anything more so than the recorded version. The stadium just went mad. Everytime I play that song it brings back the memories. You have to experience the song live to appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom