proposed 2013 25th Anniversary Rattle & Hum tracklisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is highly unlikely that U2 would buy the rights for the movie just to offer it as an additional disc for an anniversary set. The blu-ray is available for years, most fans will have it anyway. Maybe they could offer an empty slot in the booklet for moving the blu-ray disc there by the fans itself ;)

Contrary to popular belief the blu-ray is already a good transfer of the source material. The source material is purposeful bad because U2 and Joanou just wanted to make the movie look that way (copying video and 16mm material to 32mm celluloid).

In any scene on the blu-ray the film grain from the original celluloid source is clearly visible. You can filter that away (create some "wax faces"), but you cannot really improve in getting more details with that. The grainy look is that "documentary" feel that was intended by the band. By filtering the film grain it will take the intended look away that was seen in the cinema.

The old DVDs cannot give you that cinematic "grainy" feel because the DVD resolution is too low to even display film grain properly. They smeared that grain and introduced some unwanted effects by that.

I'm not sure if this was directed to me, but either way, I will clarify.

I'm not as interested in a "better quality" transfer. I realize the movie was made in 1987/88 and the technology then was different. There is only so much one can do.

What I *am* interested in are the outtakes and additional footage that has remained only in grainy bootleg form. These items are out there, but often it was a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy and the resolution suffered considerably. I would enjoy seeing at least some of the cut footage in the original quality. THIS would make re-releasing the disc worthwhile.

Then, of course, the various audio tracks that have already been discussed thoroughly in this thread. But for me, the movie goes with the CD, and if the CD is re-released, it should be with the movie. And that may be why this was skipped. Perhaps there are still negotiations between U2 and Paramount about that extra footage. Perhaps once that clears, we may see that reissue. Of course, this is all speculation on my part. Maybe U2 will never re-issue R*H.

Not directed directly to you but all those who dream of a new hi-def transfer of the movie just for the set.

Maybe U2 are allowed to use the outtakes for an anniversary set. But I cannot see that U2 will be buying back their movie just to have it added to the set. For the fans it doesn't add anything. It is on DVD (the PAL ones worthless of course) for over 10 years and on Blu-ray for over 5 years. The money could be better spent to offer some Lovetown show that was never released before. But for the outtakes: It is still possible that U2 own that stuff or that Paramount doesn't care if it is used for an anniversary set.

Not directed directly to you but all those who dream of a new hi-def transfer of the movie just for the set.

Maybe U2 are allowed to use the outtakes for an anniversary set. But I cannot see that U2 will be buying back their movie just to have it added to the set. For the fans it doesn't add anything. It is on DVD (the PAL ones worthless of course) for over 10 years and on Blu-ray for over 5 years. The money could be better spent to offer some Lovetown show that was never released before. But for the outtakes: It is still possible that U2 own that stuff or that Paramount doesn't care if it is used for an anniversary set.

But U2 doesn't have to "buy back" their movie. It's negotiations with Paramount. Again, I'm talking only about the extra footage here, not the original film. Paramount has this footage - it's just sitting there, doing nothing. By incorporating the extra footage as part of a special release, Paramount now has a chance to make some $$ from what they already have.

In contrast, if U2 owns this footage (or at least has ready access to it), then the question may be WHAT extra footage should be released. Some of it is very interesting and captures unique moments in the band's life at that time. Some is rather routine and a bit boring and wouldn't really add much to their "story"..

A bit of that extra footage seems to have appeared in the AB movie, "From the Sky Down", which is a promising start. U2 may have delayed R*H because they are still looking through that footage to see what merits re-issue.

I fully agree, a Love Town DVD would be fantastic. They filmed shows in Australia, so we know that's out there. And, as others wrote, if there is video for one of those Point Depot shows, even better. Of course, that is a bit unknown (at least by me).

Back
Top Bottom