Proof Bono could still sing like he did in the 80s...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure he can probably still sing like Joshua Tree Bono. He's just trained himself NOT TO. Back then, he was actually abusing his voice by forcing it too much. If you notice around Zoo TV, he started using more restraint. This is crucial to his career, because it preserves his voice. If he had never changed his singing style, he probably wouldn't be singing for a living now.

Nice version.

The funny thing was the back in the 80s he didnt sing much, more rough screaming and straining. 360 tour was one of the first tour when he combined the rough power with hitting notes correct. He started a note with more a more rough sound and then turn it to a clean correct note.

YouTube - Bonos voice, vocal highlights from 360 tour era

It's nearly been 10 years. His voice is still sounding okay but he can't hit any of the high notes anymore. Take this tours version of Mysterious Ways...I laugh and cringe everytime Bono tries to hit the note at 'she sees a man, inside the child'.

It's nearly been 10 years. His voice is still sounding okay but he can't hit any of the high notes anymore.

Hit any high notes? Back in the 80s and 90s he could hit high notes without straning, he could hit them.
Now he hit notes correct and clean like he neve done before.

Take this tours version of Mysterious Ways...I laugh and cringe everytime Bono tries to hit the note at 'she sees a man, inside the child'.

Actually he hit that falsetto note correct a few times this tour, you can hear that in the youtube video below. I agree that the falsetto isnt what it used to be, but you cant judge his abillity in hitting high full open voice notes now(wich never been better then it is now) by listning to his falsetto now.
Falsetto and full open voice is two different singing styles.

The things is that 360 tour is the first tour when he can combine the rough power he had in the 80s and hitting high notes clean and correct.

YouTube - Bonos voice, vocal highlights from 360 tour era

It's nearly been 10 years. His voice is still sounding okay but he can't hit any of the high notes anymore. Take this tours version of Mysterious Ways...I laugh and cringe everytime Bono tries to hit the note at 'she sees a man, inside the child'.

You're confusing a few issues here...

High notes full voice = still pretty damn good.

Your example is mostly falsetto.

I'm sure he can probably still sing like Joshua Tree Bono. He's just trained himself NOT TO. Back then, he was actually abusing his voice by forcing it too much. If you notice around Zoo TV, he started using more restraint. This is crucial to his career, because it preserves his voice. If he had never changed his singing style, he probably wouldn't be singing for a living now.

I agree with tis' post

he funny thing was the back in the 80s he didnt sing much, more rough screaming and straining. 360 tour was one of the first tour when he combined the rough power with hitting notes correct. He started a note with more a more rough sound and then turn it to a clean correct note.
And this one

Peterrrr you can put out as much "technique is good, Joshua tree voice was shite cos of screaming" bollocks as you want, but to my ear and many others, his 80's and 90's voice sounds better. I just don't like the sound of his voice anymore, it sounds rough, tired, and old, not fucking clean as you say.

Not that Bono can be blamed, decades and decades of singing isn't easy, but just cut the crap because it doesn't fucking sound as good.

"Sound good" is subjective.

The

was out of line.
Yeah his implication that his "correct technique" makes him a better singer is also subjective, Einstein.

And how was that out of line, not like I was attacking him, just because I said the word "fuck" doesn't make it "out of line" ffs. I was just expressing my FUCKING opinion.

Yeah his implication that his "correct technique" makes him a better singer is also subjective, Einstein.

And how was that out of line, not like I was attacking him, just because I said the word "fuck" doesn't make it "out of line" ffs. I was just expressing my FUCKING opinion.

I guess I just get tired of folks stating their opinion as fact, and on top of that you had to get personal and angry about it.

And before someone jumps on me, no you don't have to place "IMO" everytime you state something in here, but there are a lot of other ways to state your opinion without it coming off as if it's fact.

lol

i wonder how enraged you get about important issues.

I guess I just get tired of folks stating their opinion as fact, and on top of that you had to get personal and angry about it.

And before someone jumps on me, no you don't have to place "IMO" everytime you state something in here, but there are a lot of other ways to state your opinion without it coming off as if it's fact.
And that's out of line huh, way out of order for stating my opinion to look like a fact. Well boo fucking hoo, it's an internet forum for debate, and you go out and say my opinion is out of line? Well I say bollocks to that!
wanker.gif

Peterrrr you can put out as much "technique is good, Joshua tree voice was shite cos of screaming" bollocks as you want, but to my ear and many others, his 80's and 90's voice sounds better. I just don't like the sound of his voice anymore, it sounds rough, tired, and old, not fucking clean as you say.

Not that Bono can be blamed, decades and decades of singing isn't easy, but just cut the crap because it doesn't fucking sound as good.

But didn't Peterrrr say that his voice sounds cleaner then it has for years. When NLOTH came out lots of people said that on some the songs his voice was rasp free. Sicy said that one of the songs,. which I think may have been Boots actually, was rasp free. Someone else said that he didn't speak with it anymore. Yes I am refering to what other people said because I cannot hear his rasp but I can hear Peter Gabriel's, Sting's and Bryan Adam's rasp in their singing voice. Doesn't Liam Gallagher now sing with a rasp?

And what's this about him being old, are you trying to be ageist?

I think the point that some of you are refering to, including Joe Cool, about his voice sounding different is because he sings in a higher register than what he used to. The voice does sound darker at a lower register.

And that's out of line huh, way out of order for stating my opinion to look like a fact. Well boo fucking hoo, it's an internet forum for debate, and you go out and say my opinion is out of line? Well I say bollocks to that!
wanker.gif
Don't bother with some of these typical Americans Joe Cool, when they see four letters spelling the word Fuck they freak out for no reason at all.

wanker.gif
Wow, you're so fucking cool :|

Don't bother with some of these typical Americans Joe Cool, when they see four letters spelling the word Fuck they freak out for no reason at all.

Um, yeah because that was the reason...:huh:

That's the most ridiculous fucking thing I've ever fucking heard.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom