Proof Bono could still sing like he did in the 80s...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joe Cool, its pretty tough to deny that Bono's voice has gotten much, much better since 2001 and that he still has most if not all of his ability. The lower register is still there, just listen to Cedars of Lebanon.

Or look through peterr's 2000s clips instead of attacking him with all of 13 posts so far on the forum. You are making a great first impression, let me tell you. I am not perfect as far as my posting style goes, and I have gotten angry before, but never over something as clearly subjective as what era Bono people here prefer. Calm down, lay off the swearing(no problem with the word fuck in general, but when you direct it at people you have never even interacted with here before and supplement it with name calling, different story), lay off the sarcastic name calling and download some 5th leg Vertigo tour shows and listen to Bono! Then tell us you prefer screaming, straining and not hitting Wide Awakeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to a perfectly hit, clean and powerful note.

A lot of notes he used to hit screaming say in Bad or NYD, he was not hitting at all on Elevation and it did not sound that great. Then Vertigo and 360 came along and Bono had the technique combined with a lot of power coming back that allowed him to hit these notes strong and clean.

Go ahead and dismiss technique all you want, but its what allows him to keep singing and not blow out his voice for long periods of time or for good. No one here is arguing that "technique" has a sound to it that we enjoy, its a means to an end and a necessary one at age 50.Trust me, you would not have enjoyed getting to the arena in 1987 or 89 and hearing that the show was postponed because Bono blew his voice out.

Bottom line, we get really carried away here with this 1980s versus now debate with Bono. Yes, there are some differences but they were more pronounced between 1997 and 2002 then they are now by far. Even during that time period, the original post here makes a good case for him being able to sound very close to 1980s Bono. Unlike some other singers who have been around a long time, it is more than clear from listening to Bono sing, say Bad in 1985 and Bad in 2006 that you are listening to the same person. He really does not sound all that different.

I just don't like the sound of his voice anymore, it sounds rough, tired, and old, not fucking clean as you say.

Bono have never had such a clean sound in his voice when he hit the high notes like he have now. Thats not a opinion, thats a fact!

If these notes arent clean(from the clip below):
"Need" in 1:26 and 1:39
"Breath" in 1:52
"Wida Awake" in 2:05
"Love" in 2:20
"Rewind" in 3:10
"Leeeet the good times roll" in 5:28
"Take" in 5:39
"Far" in 8:52
"Fire" in 0:53

YouTube - Bonos voice, vocal highlights from 360 tour era

These high notes is very clean, no straining/raspyness. Bono wasnt able to get this sound in the 80s. The two things that was better with his voice back then was the falsetto.

Joe Cool, its pretty tough to deny that Bono's voice has gotten much, much better since 2001 and that he still has most if not all of his ability. The lower register is still there, just listen to Cedars of Lebanon.

Or look through peterr's 2000s clips instead of attacking him with all of 13 posts so far on the forum. You are making a great first impression, let me tell you. I am not perfect as far as my posting style goes, and I have gotten angry before, but never over something as clearly subjective as what era Bono people here prefer. Calm down, lay off the swearing(no problem with the word fuck in general, but when you direct it at people you have never even interacted with here before and supplement it with name calling, different story), lay off the sarcastic name calling and download some 5th leg Vertigo tour shows and listen to Bono! Then tell us you prefer screaming, straining and not hitting Wide Awakeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to a perfectly hit, clean and powerful note.

A lot of notes he used to hit screaming say in Bad or NYD, he was not hitting at all on Elevation and it did not sound that great. Then Vertigo and 360 came along and Bono had the technique combined with a lot of power coming back that allowed him to hit these notes strong and clean.

Go ahead and dismiss technique all you want, but its what allows him to keep singing and not blow out his voice for long periods of time or for good. No one here is arguing that "technique" has a sound to it that we enjoy, its a means to an end and a necessary one at age 50.Trust me, you would not have enjoyed getting to the arena in 1987 or 89 and hearing that the show was postponed because Bono blew his voice out.

Bottom line, we get really carried away here with this 1980s versus now debate with Bono. Yes, there are some differences but they were more pronounced between 1997 and 2002 then they are now by far. Even during that time period, the original post here makes a good case for him being able to sound very close to 1980s Bono. Unlike some other singers who have been around a long time, it is more than clear from listening to Bono sing, say Bad in 1985 and Bad in 2006 that you are listening to the same person. He really does not sound all that different.

I respectfully disagree with people who say his voice is pretty much as good now as it was in the 80s. I can understand that some people subjectively like his more “mature’ sound that he has now than say back in the early to mid 80s. But what I am getting at when I say his voice isn’t as good is that the raw strength and the raw ability of his voice is nowhere near what it was back in the 80s. His voice was at its best around ’84. In ’84 his voice was strong, he could hit low and high notes seemingly effortlessly, and he had a very “clean” and fresh sound to his voice. Even by ’87 or so while his voice was still strong and had good range there was a noticeable strain in his voice as he tried to hit higher notes. It didn’t sound as effortless and his voice sounded older and a bit gravely at times.

Anyway, regarding the ‘90s and the ‘00s I really don’t know why anyone thinks his voice is that much better now than it was from ’97 – ’01 – I don’t see it. The only difference is that he’s a little more consistent now. During PopMart and elevation there were nights, Sarajevo for example, where he had very serious problems. But on a good night during this period his voice was as good if not better than on a good night today. When Bono sings in his higher register (not falsetto) his voice now sounds “thinner” and weaker than it’s ever been. Frankly, when listening to him on the Elvis Costello show from last fall my first thought was that he doesn’t have long until he has no singing voice at all. His voice sounded very old and worn down to me. Again, maybe some think this sound is sexy or pleasing to the ear. And, yes, he makes the best of what he has through hard work and refining his technique as a singer – this is why we don’t have as many nights like Sarajevo today. But I’m just saying, in terms of raw ability and raw strength his voice is probably weaker than it has ever been.

I respectfully disagree with people who say his voice is pretty much as good now as it was in the 80s. I can understand that some people subjectively like his more “mature’ sound that he has now than say back in the early to mid 80s. But what I am getting at when I say his voice isn’t as good is that the raw strength and the raw ability of his voice is nowhere near what it was back in the 80s. His voice was at its best around ’84. In ’84 his voice was strong, he could hit low and high notes seemingly effortlessly, and he had a very “clean” and fresh sound to his voice. Even by ’87 or so while his voice was still strong and had good range there was a noticeable strain in his voice as he tried to hit higher notes. It didn’t sound as effortless and his voice sounded older and a bit gravely at times.

A lot of good points here. No argument from me, 84-86 was Bono's best voice era. I would not say that raw strength and ability are "nowhere near 80s levels." Yes, the raw part has become a bit more refined, but as far as overall strength goes, he still has it.

Anyway, regarding the ‘90s and the ‘00s I really don’t know why anyone thinks his voice is that much better now than it was from ’97 – ’01 – I don’t see it. The only difference is that he’s a little more consistent now. During PopMart and elevation there were nights, Sarajevo for example, where he had very serious problems. But on a good night during this period his voice was as good if not better than on a good night today. When Bono sings in his higher register (not falsetto) his voice now sounds “thinner” and weaker than it’s ever been. Frankly, when listening to him on the Elvis Costello show from last fall my first thought was that he doesn’t have long until he has no singing voice at all. His voice sounded very old and worn down to me. Again, maybe some think this sound is sexy or pleasing to the ear. And, yes, he makes the best of what he has through hard work and refining his technique as a singer – this is why we don’t have as many nights like Sarajevo today. But I’m just saying, in terms of raw ability and raw strength his voice is probably weaker than it has ever been.

Respectfully disagree also. I think in the end, we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

There is no way that Bono's voice was anywhere near as good on a lot of Popmart and 95% of Elevation as it has been since 2004.

He had just had a major procedure of some kind on his throat/vocal cords(we do not know exactly what, it was not full fledged throat surgery, though) and was struggling through all of Elevation. Elevation had valiant, impassioned efforts, but his voice was very weak and he struggled a lot.

His future was uncertain, Bono had a scare in 1998/1999 where he thought he would never be able to sing again, and some of his doctors agreed. Even Bono himself has alluded to the recovery of his voice since the early 2000s as "a miracle."

Not trying to start a war, but I think the professionals who travel and do the sound for U2, as well as Adam, Edge and Larry agree with me and Peterrr.

Otherwise, how to explain:

1.)Bono's voice was consistently mixed a notch or 2 down on PopMart. Edge's backing vocals were very prominent, and the band was turned up very, very loud. Just google "U2 autzen stadium, Eugene 1997 loud" the entire city heard it! This was not uncommon on Popmart.

2.)The Elevation performances of many songs, but Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and With or Without You in particular were slowed way down by the band so Bono could handle them. They have since picked up in tempo a bit on Vertigo and 360 as Bono's voice has improved.

His voice was at its best around ’84. In ’84 his voice was strong, he could hit low and high notes seemingly effortlessly, and he had a very “clean” and fresh sound to his voice.

He didnt hit high note well in 1984, it was alot of straining back then. Take Wide Awake in Bad for an example, on the live versions he strained almost every night to hit that note. And his low register wasnt there almost at all.

He didnt hit high note well in 1984, it was alot of straining back then. Take Wide Awake in Bad for an example, on the live versions he strained almost every night to hit that note. And his low register wasnt there almost at all.

I agree with tis post

I watched an interview with Kym Te Kannawa, or whatever she's called, and even though she is a soprano she says that it's hard to hit the top notes. She also said that as you get older brute or sheer continious force goes but technique never does. That is why Bono doesn't use extream raw power continiously throughout a concert like he did during Love Town or 84-87.

Haha, you say that like he was only hitting it once.

On the Wide Awake In America version of Bad, he hits 6 (maybe 7) high C's in a 20 second span. I am not exaggerating.

If he was straining as much you as you'd like us to believe, then he would have likely died on stage. Or walked off...or blew out his vocals.

But the truth is, he had a fucking set of amazing pipes back then.

If he hit a high C in 2010, you'd post it's singular occurrence as evidence that Bono has the same voice he always had. Whatever, Peterrr, I'm not trying to spoil your fun, but give us a break...

2.)The Elevation performances of many songs, but Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and With or Without You in particular were slowed way down by the band so Bono could handle them. They have since picked up in tempo a bit on Vertigo and 360 as Bono's voice has improved.

Slowed tempo helps the whole band.

It's tuning the song down that helps Bono's voice more than anything.

Haha, you say that like he was only hitting it once.

On the Wide Awake In America version of Bad, he hits 6 (maybe 7) high C's in a 20 second span. I am not exaggerating.

If he was straining as much you as you'd like us to believe, then he would have likely died on stage. Or walked off...or blew out his vocals.

If you say that he dosnt strain his voice in time 6:11 to 6:15, 6:16 to 6:18 and in 6:21 he nearly strain and goes offkey.
YouTube - U2 - Bad (Live Version) from the Wide Awake In America E.P (High Quality)

I didnt say that he didnt hit that note at all in 1984, but he rarely it correct on that tour.

To me the Vertigo tour versions are the best, they didnt play the so much on the 360 :( But the london version from last summer is a great one:

The thing is when you look on Bono back in 1984 when he tries to hit the high C he looks like he is in pain, you can see that he gives his all to hit that hard note. Well from Vertigo/360 tour you can look at him and you see in his voice that he do it much more easy now, without straining and less "pain" looking in the face.

The Wide Awake in 4:53 is wow
YouTube - U2 Bad Live From Saitama Super Arena, Japan 12-04-2006

Seattle 2005(if you want to hear alot of Wide Awakes in the same verison)
w w w.send space.com/file/hwpiow

YouTube - U2 London 2009-08-15 Bad

Saitama version of Bad didn't sound that bad. That Wide Awake was awesome. London was pretty decent, I think he doesn't need a guitar for Bad if they play it again.

Slowed tempo helps the whole band.

It's tuning the song down that helps Bono's voice more than anything.

OK.

Exactly what I said.

Tuning down helps Bono to keep up w/o struggling.

They did a lot more of that during Pop and especially Elevation than they have since 2005. Bono's voice has improved since, so he can keep up with a faster tempo on songs like Pride and SBS(360).

OK.

Exactly what I said.

They did a lot more of that during Pop and especially Elevation than they have since 2005. Bono's voice has improved since, so he can keep up with a faster tempo on songs like Pride and SBS(360).

I still don't see what tempo has to do with it though. Tuning down? Yes. But tempo? Not so much.

I don't think a slower tempo helps that much, really. Sure, he gets more breathing space in between segments but it can also be a disadvantage. On songs like Pride he'll have to hold the high notes in the chorus longer to stay in tempo, for example.

No, tuning down is probably the best way to go.

OK.

Exactly what I said.

"Pride" was getting to be so slow there for a while, I thought it was a ballad.

*snicker* :sexywink:

All I know is that Bono's voice sounds more like the 80's Bono now than it has since, well, the 80's.

However, he is a man of 50. It takes a lot of energy to really belt songs out and keep one's voice. His age does play a role. But better technique through lessons and years of experience has allowed him to keep going strong.

When I'm at a concert, I rarely notice Bono's vocal issues. It's only later when I hear it (on whatever media) that I notice some mistakes (by all members). And this was also true in the 80's where Bono often bailed on notes (especially his falsetto). But what made all those shows great? It's the passion of the performance. So even if there are some vocal issues or the rhythm section just isn't clicking or the songs seem slower or Edge is off somewhere, all the U2 shows I've seen still have that passion that I have rarely seen in other bands. And that's what makes the shows great.

Still, as this thread is about Bono's voice, all I can say is I'm thrilled it's back. I hear it on NLOTH (where he actually screamed - something that was missing for a long time) and in concert. So get better soon Bono - but do it right. We need your voice soaring again!

I think the video of Bono singing desire at that church a couple of years ago is an indication that he is still pretty capable of singing with power reminiscent of his 80's voice:
YouTube - U2 - Desire (Acoustic - Union Chapel) 23.11.07
There are some moments in that video where his voice seems unusually strong... i think maybe its a matter of circumstance - i assume he hadn't been singing much before that mini-concert, and it was only a couple of songs, so he could sing his heart out without worrying about getting tired or something. However, at actual u2 concerts, i doubt he still has the energy to use that kind of power in his voice for the entire night, so he conserves his energy for particular moments, hence why he sounds tired/weak quite often. I think its no longer a matter of vocal problems, but of energy/being tired... which is fine with me... i actually refer his weaker, more delicate voice, where you can appreciate the delicateness as well as the times when he does bet out! :applaud:

I guess I just get tired of folks stating their opinion as fact, and on top of that you had to get personal and angry about it.

And before someone jumps on me, no you don't have to place "IMO" everytime you state something in here, but there are a lot of other ways to state your opinion without it coming off as if it's fact.

Yawn...

My own (entirely subjective) view is that Bono's voice is better than it was between 97 and 06 but still inferior to his eighties voice and most certainly his ZOO TV voice, which to my ears sounded smoother and deeper.

"Pride" was getting to be so slow there for a while, I thought it was a ballad.

Yes, the faster Pride of Vertigo and 360 was much needed!

All I know is that Bono's voice sounds more like the 80's Bono now than it has since, well, the 80's.

You are 100% right about the 80s. That says it all right there, nothing else in this thread matters so far!

However, he is a man of 50. It takes a lot of energy to really belt songs out and keep one's voice. His age does play a role. But better technique through lessons and years of experience has allowed him to keep going strong.

When I'm at a concert, I rarely notice Bono's vocal issues. It's only later when I hear it (on whatever media) that I notice some mistakes (by all members). And this was also true in the 80's where Bono often bailed on notes (especially his falsetto). But what made all those shows great? It's the passion of the performance. So even if there are some vocal issues or the rhythm section just isn't clicking or the songs seem slower or Edge is off somewhere, all the U2 shows I've seen still have that passion that I have rarely seen in other bands. And that's what makes the shows great.

Still, as this thread is about Bono's voice, all I can say is I'm thrilled it's back. I hear it on NLOTH (where he actually screamed - something that was missing for a long time) and in concert. So get better soon Bono - but do it right. We need your voice soaring again!

If only all of interference made as much sense as doctorwho!

It would be a lot better place, and I truly mean that!

Always enjoy your posts!

But screaming is not singing! He's turning into a stylist and not a singer!

If you say that he dosnt strain his voice in time 6:11 to 6:15, 6:16 to 6:18 and in 6:21 he nearly strain and goes offkey.
YouTube - U2 - Bad (Live Version) from the Wide Awake In America E.P (High Quality)

I didnt say that he didnt hit that note at all in 1984, but he rarely it correct on that tour.

To me the Vertigo tour versions are the best, they didnt play the so much on the 360 :( But the london version from last summer is a great one:

The thing is when you look on Bono back in 1984 when he tries to hit the high C he looks like he is in pain, you can see that he gives his all to hit that hard note. Well from Vertigo/360 tour you can look at him and you see in his voice that he do it much more easy now, without straining and less "pain" looking in the face.

The Wide Awake in 4:53 is wow
YouTube - U2 Bad Live From Saitama Super Arena, Japan 12-04-2006

What the?? Look, U2DFMAN is 100% correct, you are comparing apples to oranges. There is no way in hell that singular "wide awake" from that Saitama clip is better than most, arguably ANY, of the "wide awake"s in the clip from Wide Awake in America. He doesn't really crack on the 1984 clip, what are you talking about? He does in fact back off and almost crack in the Saitama clip, he really only hits it the one time in that chorus at 4:53 and then after that he's practically shouting it.

Not only that, but do you even realize the fact that the song is being performed significantly differently in terms of how many times he sings "Wide Awake" in 1984 vs now? The chorus is longer, he sings it full out like 6 times in the last instance of the chorus in the 84 clip as opposed to 1, maybe 2 times full out and then backed off in the 05 version. And in 1984, during those extended 'solo's before the final chorus, Bono was freakin running laps and doing crazy shit that would leave any normal person breathless and unable to sing. He rarely does that during Bad now. Also, listen to the rest of both those versions, in their entirety...even the other choruses, the "fade aways", the "isolation, temptations...". The difference is night and day.

Finally, can you not hear the difference is how his voice is being mixed now? It's louder and brighter. The mics are better. He's got in-ears, not stage monitors. It's a different technical environment, entirely.

If anything, Bad is evidence that Bono's voice was far stronger back then.

Just for the record, singing long notes at a slower tempo is harder than singing them at a faster tempo. You're holding the note longer. Pride is a good example of this.

Can any human being do anything like they could in the 80's? Time marches on, all over your face and your voice and other things. There's no botox for vocal chords.

Finally, can you not hear the difference is how his voice is being mixed now? It's louder and brighter. The mics are better. He's got in-ears, not stage monitors. It's a different technical environment, entirely.

Gvox, do you remember a few months ago when Whitney Houstan made a bad appearance at a concert? She had to cancel a few concerts before because she was ill. Don't you think that if Bono had been suffering from a sustained injury (such as Ga and Miami) don't you think that would have impacted his performance such as running laps and not running out of breath? Or I take it he's not intittled to his off days. Have you ever had an off day? Or isn't allowed to be human?

Anyway, that post was just a gentle tease. I think she was the one who was being spiteful. He had a busy time that year and probably only heard the album version the once when he had other things on his mind (or he was drunk). It wasn't until after the Grammies that they decided to release it as a single (where again he was drunk). She came down the night before and made a final appearance at their gig. Then the day after they recorded the video and this was the first time that he heard the recording properly. In which time ti was too late for him to protest because the mischeivous women had chosen a version where he made a bad performance (probably due to a bad feed just like what happened him and a few others at Live8). But isf he used a quick hint that he was unhappy, such as Vocal Aid, during the video indicates that he wasn't a happy bunny. He also should make a mental note never to leap head first into projects like this ever again.

She probably has a moon or her rising in scorpio. He'd been stung by a scorpion. They are very machievellian.

How long have a been banging on about ihat on here now- 2 years almost? Lets just drop it.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Not one single thing you said in your post makes any sense nor is it rooted in any accepted fact about anything remoted related to Bono, U2, MJB, One, Whitney Houston, Bad circa 2005, Bad circa 1984, singing, music in general, in fact, anything period. Where do you get this stuff?!? It's patently ridiculous! :lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hptM_z22_L4

I see, so you think he sang off key on purpose when he performed this version of One and Live8 do you? Even you said that they performed the song more in sync better as they dueted live more. But Bono always sings One live in the melody like he did for that track, so are you saying up until 2005 he has never been able to sing One live? I'd stand by what I said before. As it transpired she stung him because she's quite spiteful. "I've got many recordings of this song, now which one will I stand out on? I know, the first 2 recording didn't go to well. Hehehe. At least not for him. Hohoho. What better way to prove what a great singer than him then would to choice one of these 2. Ha Ha hA. It would be a bit too obvious if I chose the first recording but the second recording will do. And when I play it to them if I play it to him, hopefully when he's had a few drinks and distract them with my dancing, then I may get away with it and his reputation as a singer will be tarnished forever and ever and ever. HA HA HAHEHEHE HOHO HO " she cackles until her sides split with laughter.

Just imagine what she thought when they said they'd release it as a single? "Bono is so dumb. He's fallen right for my trap hasn't he? HA HA. This is great opportunity to provide the first recording so it could be heard by the whole of planet earth. HAHAHAHA. By the time we shoot the video and he hears what we've done to his voice, it will be too late becuase he's too polite than to start a ruck with me about it. HAHAHAHA HEHEE. Just after the incident at Live8 as well. All the press seemed to blame him. I bet the band never even got the chance to complain because they were on tour and by the time they were on their summer break, it was too late as the DVD was already being pressed for production. HOHOHO. He probably only found out by the mix when the DVD went on sale and they never even told him during the BBC interview weeks later. HAHAHA ." more cackling. "Marc Lemmar, Gvox, Jon Earls, Emily, Jaye, posters on YouTube and even his pal Niel McCormick will think he's a shit singer. Hahahaaha." she falls off her chair with laughter.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Not one single thing you said in your post makes any sense nor is it rooted in any accepted fact about anything remoted related to Bono, U2, MJB, One, Whitney Houston, Bad circa 2005, Bad circa 1984, singing, music in general, in fact, anything period.

I see. So it wasn't true about all the reports that Whitney gave a bad performance in Birmingham after she had to cancel UK concerts because of an illness? And neither is it true that Bono has recently had back surgery because of long term back problems and that Benji had spotted the problem in the Autumn? If you are not feeling too healthy or fit then singing is effected. Have you ever made a mistake Gvox or are you too perfect?

Back
Top Bottom