Pride in the name of love Bono's greatest vocal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I cant think of a better vocal that showcases who Bono is as the singer of U2. He sings that chorus so powerfully the passion is crazy. I remeber being a little kide before i knew who U2 was and hearing pride of some sort of best of the 80's collection and being like wow who is that singer and who is that band. Awsome vocal and probably U2's best single ever.

I agree, especially the studio-version is sick when it comes to the vocals. Not even U2 themselves has topped that since (although ISHFWILF comes close IMO). :drool:

Definitely one of the very best!!!

Room at the Heartbreak hotel is up there too....

And of course, Moment of Surrender is his best this decade. (By a mile!)

Dont forget:

ASOH
Bad
RHMT
Night And Day
MOS
NLOTH
Lemon
TSOHOSOS
Miss Sarajevo

those are great songs for the B man, and Pride is arguably his best, but I don't think anything touches Unchained Melody....that vocal is straight up RIDICULOUS. Everything about it continues to amaze me whenever I hear it....somethin about it! :)

i'd have to disagree.

Pride is his 2nd most powerful vocal attempt.

But Red Hill Mining Town is really where his vocals go through the roof. The reason why u2 decided not to play this live or make it a single was because the vocals that Bono would have to do night in and night out would kill his voice.

Here is a quote from wikipedia:

"Initially slated as a single release, "Red Hill Mining Town" was the only track from the album not played on the tour. Bono has suggested that the song's high notes put too much strain on his voice"

I would agree that "Pride" and "Bad" are his two most impressive studio vocals. There weren't a lot of singers in the 80s who could sing "In the name of love" at the top of their range and not sound a bit silly. He was clearly drinking from the Liffey in the summer of '84.

The studio version is certainly the one that grabbed the world's attention and showed how great U2 and Bono are. Bono is still considered by many non U2 fans as a great singer and a lot of that is down to people being first exposed to his voice when they heard Pride, along with his contributions to band aid, live aid and Clannad's In A Lifetime. 84-85 was the time when his reputaion as a vocalist was made.

No, Pride isn't.

Of course, I never thought it was a particularly good song either (and it was released at about the height of my U2 fandom too), so that probably has something to do with how I feel about the quality of the vocals on it.

i'd have to disagree.

Here is a quote from wikipedia:

"Initially slated as a single release, "Red Hill Mining Town" was the only track from the album not played on the tour. Bono has suggested that the song's high notes put too much strain on his voice"

That's a kind of a bollocks reason IMO, why couldn't they just transpose it down, like they do with other songs.

For me it's Red Hill Mining Town, Bad and Native son.

There's no such thing as greatest vocal. It's all a matter of opinion, since everyone has a different feeling with songs.

Dont forget:

ASOH
Bad
RHMT
Night And Day
MOS
NLOTH
Lemon
TSOHOSOS
Miss Sarajevo

Definitely one of the very best!!!

Room at the Heartbreak hotel is up there too....

And of course, Moment of Surrender is his best this decade. (By a mile!)

With or Without You, anyone?

Amongst many of the songs mentioned here, I'd like to add his contribution on In a Lifetime by Clannad.

I'd like to add Christmas (BPCH) to the list, even if it's a cover song.

Angel of Harlem, maybe not as in-your-face-belting as Pride/Bad/I still haven't found...but somehow better as he seems to soar throughout with such ease.

2:04 in this clip :drool:
YouTube - U2 : I Believe In Father Christmas (RED WIRE) [ Inc. Lyrics]

But for me his best performence ever:

2009-07-07 - Milan - Ultraviolet (this is the best recording of this show), this version blows away every other 360 and ZooTV performence of this song. He puts so much energy, passion, feeling and power on this version. Download it and turn up the speakers:
w w w.send space.com/file/qq877s

2009-07-07 - Milan - Ultraviolet (this is the best recording of this show), this version blows away every other 360 and ZooTV performence of this song. He puts so much energy, passion, feeling and power on this version. Download it and turn up the speakers:

:drool: It's MILAN, baby! :)

I agree, this is his best vocal.
What a shame he totally fucked it up on the remake a few years back.

Oh right I totally forgot about that. Great vocal indeed.

Well his voice changed a lot.. he probably shouldn't have tried to do it the exact same way as in the original. It would've spared our ears.

I think I agree with you on this. Barca 1's Ultraviolet comes in close, too.

2:04 in this clip :drool:
YouTube - U2 : I Believe In Father Christmas (RED WIRE) [ Inc. Lyrics]

To me Pride (studio) is better than all this in pride he is just singing that chorus with the most power he ever sung anything. He is really really pushing himself more than on any other performance i think

Also Peterrrrr - why havent u figured out some of the notes on NLOTH - I am curiouse to see what some of the big notes are like - the last ONLY - in Magnificent and the SLEEEEEEEEEEP THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT - on WAS or the stuff in MOS

Back
Top Bottom