Possible Directions for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want an entire album of their 80's hits resung by post-coma Bono and remixed by Tiësto. :dance:

You're being awfully presumptuous. No way of knowing if Bono ever wakes from the coma, docs still have to wait for the anesthesia to wear off before determining the depths of the coma.

Songs of Experience. Do wonder what will happen there. As with Songs of Ascent, they talked about it at a time when they were full of confidence in the new album, and with some assumptions (or at least hope) that it's reception would go a certain way. The No Line follow up idea shifted and then was canned, and things again - in a variety of ways - have certainly not gone as hoped or assumed.

So, wonder if the chances have increased (the album misfired, partially for reasons outside their control, can't wait another 5 years, need to try again sooner + tour now more likely to need a kick at some point) or decreased (another misfire, so maybe the answer to Bono's question is that people actually don't need another U2 album, and if they do, it needs to be so dramatically different that we can't cobble it together while touring, let's regroup post tour and ask ourselves some tough questions). And if the ideas for sound and direction have shifted (same as above, and reaction to SOI songs live a big factor here).

My thinking - and I know everyone hates the doom and gloom predictions - but, I think if we get no 'Experience' (and no suggestion that they've even had a crack at it) it's a strong clue as to some wider thinking, ie they do think Bono's question has been answered. Because otherwise, another album at some point in the next 12-18mths does make a whole lot of sense this time, while the 'Ascent' idea always sounded nice but unnecessary.

i'll take a stab at an actual "direction."

it seems that one of the songs most often mentioned in here as among the best of the post '00s U2 is "kite." it's a song that was clearly overshadowed, in the beginning, by the bigger songs of ATYCLB, but it grew in a live setting during the Elevation tour and became something, at least for me, of a career highlight on the Oz leg of the Veritgo tour -- i'd say that the version on the WITS single (minus the dumb Cate Blanchet shout out) is among the most beautiful, moving things i've ever heard them do.

and why? it's totally age-appropriate. while i like how fresh some of SOI sounds, it feels a little bit like plastic surgery. they aren't young, they shouldn't be trying to "rock" with the kids. i want to hear softer, more bittersweet, more meditative tunes on life and death and sadness and loss and growing older -- exactly the primary concerns of "kite." i also felt this kind of contemplative sadness, the sound of older men looking back, in the recent Edge-only RTSS. it's gorgeous.

i want the beauty and the sadness and the bittersweet -- i want to hear and feel all the miles they've put in as worldy, accomplished men. it must have come at a cost. let us know.

it seems that one of the songs most often mentioned in here as among the best of the post '00s U2 is "kite." it's a song that was clearly overshadowed, in the beginning, by the bigger songs of ATYCLB, but it grew in a live setting during the Elevation tour and became something, at least for me, of a career highlight on the Oz leg of the Veritgo tour -- i'd say that the version on the WITS single (minus the dumb Cate Blanchet shout out) is among the most beautiful, moving things i've ever heard them do.

and why? it's totally age-appropriate. while i like how fresh some of SOI sounds, it feels a little bit like plastic surgery. they aren't young, they shouldn't be trying to "rock" with the kids. i want to hear softer, more bittersweet, more meditative tunes on life and death and sadness and loss and growing older -- exactly the primary concerns of "kite." i also felt this kind of contemplative sadness, the sound of older men looking back, in the recent Edge-only RTSS. it's gorgeous.

i want the beauty and the sadness and the bittersweet -- i want to hear and feel all the miles they've put in as worldy, accomplished men. it must have come at a cost. let us know.

:up:

What you say makes a lot of sense... but on the other hand ATYCLB and Bomb record screamed the most for being on top of the charts at any cost, while the last record sounds the most not forced since AB...

You're being awfully presumptuous. No way of knowing if Bono ever wakes from the coma, docs still have to wait for the anesthesia to wear off before determining the depths of the coma.

Plus if and when he does finally wake up from the coma there's a good chance he'll have amnesia. Or maybe he'll be one of those guys who wakes up from a coma and can all of a sudden speak Spanish fluently.

Sabrina. Don't just look at her ass. Eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference Joanne

american-psycho.jpg

In the American Psycho book Patrick attended a U2 concert and had this revelation: It hits me that we have something in common, that we share a bond, and it's not impossible to believe that an invisible cord attached to Bono has now encircled me and now the audience disappears and the music slows down, gets softer, and it's just Bono onstage--the stadium's deserted, the band fades away--and the message, his message, once vague, now gets more powerful and he's nodding at me and I'm nodding back, everything getting clearer, my body alive and burning, on fire, and from nowhere a flash of white and blinding light envelopes me and I hear it, can actually feel, can even make out the letters of the message hovering above Bono's head in orange wavy letters: "I . . . am . . . the . . . devil . . . and I am . . . just . . . like . . . you . . .

Heh, I remember that moment. Bret Easton Ellis predicted the coming of Mr. MacPhisto.

Back
Top Bottom